Bali, January 1, 2019

briar14

No tours offered for this day. Will many places be closed? We would like to plan something independently for the morning. Mariner is to depart at 3 pm.

The ship is doing a New Year's Eve party ashore. Maybe they expect that no one will be in the mood for any ShoreEx the next morning.

I know the Destination Manager will be Katcha. She is on board the NAV with me now. I'll ask and see what I can find out for you. I am on that cruise with you too

J

I can give you a recommendation http://www.balicharterbus.com Ketut is who you want to ask for. We have used him for 10 years (we had a house in Bali) He has picked up many friends of ours and given them tours whilst they were in port. He has good English and is very reliable. Just mention that Ibu Karen recommended him. He can give you a tour of anything you want to see or can make suggestions for you. If you have other passengers who want to join you just let him know. He has cars and buses so can take as few or as many guests as you want.

I hope this helps. Also New Years eve for us is not a big deal for the Balinese so it should be no problem to arrange a tour.

Here are a couple of interesting articles on this topic:

http://www.bali-indonesia.com/information/nyepi-day.htm

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/mar/27/bali-indonesia-new-year-nyepi-day-of-silence

Apparently, hotels and restaurants are open but most people do not leave their homes.

But that is never on January 1, which is what the OP is asking about, but always in March.

So there should be no problem to organise a tour on January 1.

But that is never on January 1, which is what the OP is asking about, but always in March.

So there should be no problem to organise a tour on January 1.

Good catch! I Googled "New Year's Day" and didn't notice that it was coming up with a New Year's celebration in March. Go figure!

Many countries / cultures celebrate New Year in March as this is the start of the summer solstice. Indonesia is a Muslin country.

Interesting! I know that Indonesia is a Muslim country but Bali is very different religiously than the rest of the country. Balinese people have been Hindus for eight hundred years (a branch of Hinduism in India ..... the most obviously discrepancy is that the Balinese eat cows.)

We have been to Bali three times and love it.

I can give you a recommendation www.balicharterbus.com Ketut is who you want to ask for. We have used him for 10 years (we had a house in Bali) He has picked up many friends of ours and given them tours whilst they were in port. He has good English and is very reliable. Just mention that Ibu Karen recommended him. He can give you a tour of anything you want to see or can make suggestions for you. If you have other passengers who want to join you just let him know. He has cars and buses so can take as few or as many guests as you want.

I hope this helps. Also New Years eve for us is not a big deal for the Balinese so it should be no problem to arrange a tour.

Thank you, Clarky! I will follow up on this.

Thank you all for your replies. Through our excellent TA we have planned tours for each day that will allow us to attend the NYE Regent party, if we wish, and to use what time we have on 1/1 before leaving Bali.