...and now...some hotel questions

Bruin Steve

Assuming we arrive in Sydney on the morning of December 23 for a cruise leaving December 24...leaving from the "Overseas Passenger Terminal" in the Rocks area...

My wife prefers 4 or 5 star hotels...

Location is important...We'd like to be walking distance from tourist sites, restaurants, etc.

My usual tack is to book early, but on a cancelable rate...later, if I locate a "deal", I can always cancel and rebook, but, for now, I have a hedge...a bird in the hand...

It appears the Holiday Inn is closest to the pier...and I can get a rate right now of $202.50 AUS...I can get the Hilton (which appears to be a little farther away) for $246 AUS (there's a $227 rate that includes breakfast, but that's nonrefundable, pay in advance)...

I can also get the Marriott for $256 AUS...and I can get the Four Points Sheraton, Darling Harbor for $240 including breakfast...

Anyone have any thoughts on the relative merits of these properties? Are the locations convenient?

Thanks...

The Holiday Inn in the Rocks district is a 3 minute walk to your ship so it's VERY convenient. As Holiday Inns go it's probably a little more "basic" than many but it's perfectly adequate for only for one night and you are in a great district for restaurants, the Opera House and right next to the bridge and the Circular Quay ferry terminal. It doesn't have rooms with views but it's great up on the roof terrace. If you want to go a little more upmarket I'd recommend the Shangri La which overlooks the Rocks, your ship, the bridge, etc and has the best rooms with harbour views. More expensive though.

Hotels get very busy around Christmas so you are wise to book now.

If its location you want...

Holiday Inn at the Rocks is ideal.

Its a little tired, but does have character.

As said above its only for 1 night.

To be be able to walk out and have it all there is wonderful.

If you are leaving from the OPT and have trolley bags,

you simply walk to your ship.

I have to endorse the Shangri-La. Absolutely best views of either Circular Quay (which is not a circle but a horseshoe), the Opera (Oprah) House and the OPT or looking the other way you see Darling Harbour area and the vista to the Blue Mountains.

Its only a few minutes walk to the ship and its downhill.

I stayed there (albeit paying conference rates) last October for about $220 for a magnificent room overlooking the Darling Harbour area...rooms overlooking the Quay are a bit more exxy.

The Hilton as mentioned is further uptown and in my opinion not worth considering as it is a fair walk, and if you are carrying suitcases etc. would be quite tiresome.

The hotels at Darling Harbour would definately require a cab.

cheers

We are doing a pre crusie in Feb 2012. Thinking of at least 4 or 5 day stay in Sydney.We are considering the Park Hyatt or the Marriot, only because we have reward points for both.I understand that the Park Hyatt is underconstruction,and not really sure they will be open by Feb of 2012.Any oppinion on these hotels?

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed at the Marriott Circular Cay back in October before our cruise. It is in an excellent location to walk to the ferries, the Opera House and even the Botanical Gardens. I watched the ship come in the morning we boarded. You could easily walk to the ship if you don't mind pulling luggage with you unless you are on one of the smaller ships that can go under the bridge. The smaller ships dock at the Rocks. The larger ones uses the Overseas terminal. There is a nice little market just off Circular Cay and lots of places to eat within walking distance. The only thing I can say about the Marriott that I didn't like were the prices of food. We always went somewhere else to eat. It's a nice, comfortable hotel and the rooms were spotless. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

So as to circle back here...

Here's the update as to what we've decided...

I made a couple of initial reservations, both in Sydney and then in Auckland at the end of the cruise...then I put the final decision to my wife...

When we cruised out of Southampton on the Eclipse a few months back, she really enjoyed that we stayed at the Holiday Inn there and had but a short (maybe a couple hundred yards at most) walk to the ship in the morning...Her thought was that, so long as the hotels are relatively nice, she wanted to be close and convenient...

So...

In Sydney, we've settled on the Holiday Inn Old Sydney...and, in Auckland, on the Copthorne...

On both ends, we'll be as close to the pier as possible...

Our flight in to Sydney arrives 7:05 am the day before the cruise...We're hoping, perhaps, we'll get a room early...If not, maybe we leave the luggage with the bellmen and venture out...The ship will be docked at the Rocks...

In Auckland, we need to fly out EARLY the day after the cruise...7:15 am flight out...I don't know how early one needs to get to Auckland airport, but I'm guessing we're waking up before the crack of dawn and catching a taxi...The Copthorne appears to be right at the dock as well...

So as to circle back here...

Here's the update as to what we've decided...

In Sydney, we've settled on the Holiday Inn Old Sydney...and, in Auckland, on the Copthorne...

On both ends, we'll be as close to the pier as possible...

Our flight in to Sydney arrives 7:05 am the day before the cruise...We're hoping, perhaps, we'll get a room early...If not, maybe we leave the luggage with the bellmen and venture out...The ship will be docked at the Rocks...

Steve, the Old Sydney Holiday Inn is a good choice and is close to Circular Quay and many other restaurants and shops of interest. The rooftop swimming pool area has a magnificent view of the Sydney Opera House, the Harbour Bridge and Circular Quay.

I hope the rate you quoted earlier is not the rack rate, because I see an IHG Friends & Family rate of A$152.25/night for December 23rd (as an example), but it is prepaid (and non-refundable), so you took the right approach in reserving the room now. Later, if you want the details on how to get the IHG F&F rate let me know.

-Vic

Go Bruins!

• 2 weeks later...
hi,

we are staying in sydney for 4 days and this hotel sounds ideal.

what is the IHG F&F rate and how do we get it.

thanks

anthony

Anthony, the full threads and discussion is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel-deals/943529-ihg-hotels-friends-family-promotion.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-priority-club-inter-continental-ambassador/927052-friends-family-discount-all-ihg-hotels.html

Just go to post #1 of the second thread for the link you need to book. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11339258-post1.html

Just remember, the rate, once booked, is non-refundable. No Priority Club points either.

In Auckland, we need to fly out EARLY the day after the cruise...7:15 am flight out...I don't know how early one needs to get to Auckland airport, but I'm guessing we're waking up before the crack of dawn and catching a taxi...The Copthorne appears to be right at the dock as well...

If that is an international flight you will need to be at the airport at least 2 hours before your flight. Allow approximately half an hour for the taxi ride, from the Copthorne.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Auckland Hilton in January and loved it. When we picked up our luggage they gave us a cart which we rolled down the sidewalk to the hotel. The room and service were excellent and we watched the ship sail out that evening. We booked off an online site for $209.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

We are flying into Auckland in a weeks time and leaving on a 10am flight the next morning for Papeete. We are staying at the Holiday Inn at Auckland airport. It is not right at the airport but the Hotel runs a shuttle bus to and fro all day and night. It has good reviews on Trip Advisor and the rate is terrific - for Bed and Breakfast only $173NZ dollars.

I would look at staying closer to the airport as you do need to be there at least 2 hours before the flight leaves. Here is a link to the hotel.

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/auckland/aklap/hoteldetail

I certainly wouldn't be staying in Auckland proper as you will need to leave the hotel at least 2.5-3 hours before the flight so that you make it to the airport at it is a 45 minute ride from downtown Auckland.

Jennie

We recently stayed at the Rendevous Stafford in the Rocks. It is 2 blks to the cruise terminal. We had a bay view room w/balcony that overlooked the Opera House and the Sydney Bridge. The room was dated but the location was fantastic. It was less expensive than the other hotels mentioned and has a cancelable rate. I thought it was a much better location than the Holiday Inn. Just remember when you get to Sydney to bring alot of money. Everything was sooooo expensive.

• 4 weeks later...

If your wife likes 4-5 star hotels then you cannot go past the Hyatt on the Rocks. We were there a few weeks ago and they are about to close for a major renovation and will reopen in November. It will be stunning.

Kellie

When I have been in Auckland, I have used a shuttle bus (http://www.shuttlebus.co.nz), which costs NZ$40 all up from the CBD to the airport. Thats only $20 pp. They have always been on time, totally reliable, and much cheaper than a taxi which will cost you anywhere from around $50 to $75 depending on traffic. The shuttle bus picks you up from designated hotel and you can pre-book online, and ask to pay the driver. They have quite a good business going I noticed, with their vans going to and fro constantly.

The Copthorne is very nice, and handy, but anywhere along or near Queen Street is ok. If you do chose another in Queen St, make sure it is a well known one, as there is a lot of noise from the streets and nightclubs.

Jen

If your wife likes 4-5 star hotels then you cannot go past the Hyatt on the Rocks. We were there a few weeks ago and they are about to close for a major renovation and will reopen in November. It will be stunning.

Kellie

I went onto the Hyatts web site ,and thay say you can book the Park Hyatt sometime in the middle of 2011. We are going to be there Feb 17th for 4 days for our cruise on the Regatta Oceania cruises.

For a 4-5 star hotel in Auckland the Langham is exceptional. It is not quite in the CBD but they have a shuttle and the hotel is in the inner city bus zone.

When we arrive into Auckland on our cruise.We would like to stay in a hotel for 2 nights on the water or with a fantasic view.Any suggestions?

Last weekend we stayed at Rendevous Stafford in the Rocks. This was our second time there and again we couldn't fault it. Try and book room 412 as you get a Opera House view and Harbour Bridge view but all from a standard studio suite. The rooms are not flash but modern, clean, comfortable and we thought of a reasonable size for the 3 of us.

Very easy walking distance to all the touristy things.

It was raining when we arrived on our cruise so we took a taxi to the hotel instead of walking which we had planned originally. The taxi was $9.

The rate I booked online and it also included a breakfast in a room beside the pool. It was a lovely breakfast and left the cruise ship food for dead.

The front desk staff are all lovely and very helpful. One thing I would say is if it's raining when you are there they have umbrellas they will loan you for your stay.

Enjoy your trip.

. Everything was sooooo expensive.

I'm not surprised with the strength of the Aust. dollar at the moment. It's the first time it has been above parity with the US dollar. A couple of years ago it would have been much better value for money than it is now. Sydney is also probably the most expensive place in Australia. Australia is probably on a par with many European countries now as far as how expensive it is for tourists. Like many places in the world if you stay away from touristy areas it will be much cheaper.

I'm not surprised with the strength of the Aust. dollar at the moment.
Indeed, the AUD is truly :eek: at the moment. £1 only buys about $1.50. I can remember when I could go to Australia and literally get about twice that many AUD for £1. It's funny to be feeling the pinch when Down Under.

Archived