Norwegian Sky Tour Classic Cars in Cuba

marcyjane

We are going to Cuba in April 2018 on the Sky. Looking for anyone that has done the ship's tour of classic cars. The tours says for 2 persons per vehicle but there will be 3 of us. Has one booked and took 3 people? Thanks

You can easily fit 3 people in the car. I'd be careful about the ship's tour though, to be honest. We took this tour in August (I posted a review of the trip, and there are comments about the tour). Firstly, we loved the tour. However, most of the drivers did not speak English. The "Tour Guide" is split amongst several vehicles and will only be with you a short time. We are able to understand a lot, and slightly speak Spanish. Once our driver realized we understood him, he literally lit up. If we did not understand Spanish, however, we would not have had as good a time.

The company we did a walking food tour with (see my review mentioned earlier) also does a Classic Car tour, and their drivers will be fluent.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you do the walking food tour on your own or through the cruise line? Is it an approved tour? Can you put a link to your tour review here. THANKS!

You can easily fit 3 people in the car. I'd be careful about the ship's tour though, to be honest. We took this tour in August (I posted a review of the trip, and there are comments about the tour). Firstly, we loved the tour. However, most of the drivers did not speak English. The "Tour Guide" is split amongst several vehicles and will only be with you a short time. We are able to understand a lot, and slightly speak Spanish. Once our driver realized we understood him, he literally lit up. If we did not understand Spanish, however, we would not have had as good a time.

The company we did a walking food tour with (see my review mentioned earlier) also does a Classic Car tour, and their drivers will be fluent.

Did you do the walking food tour on your own or through the cruise line? Is it an approved tour? Can you put a link to your tour review here. THANKS!

We arranged the food tour on our own with foodtourshavana.com. There really is no such thing as an "approved tour", as there is no real "authority" that would give out that designation. Does it comply with the rules for person-to-person interaction? Yes. We just kept a printout of the tour description and took a selfie with the tour guide for our documentation.

My review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2535059

Thank yo all. I should have said "person to person" not approved tour. I did call NCL they only allow 2 people in each car. So I guess if all 3 of us want to be and go together we will have to book a independent tour on our own as long as it is stated "person to person". Will start searching the web for a good reliable vintage car tour.

Thank yo all. I should have said "person to person" not approved tour. I did call NCL they only allow 2 people in each car. So I guess if all 3 of us want to be and go together we will have to book a independent tour on our own as long as it is stated "person to person". Will start searching the web for a good reliable vintage car tour.

I did havanajourneys, walking tour & car tour in one day. We had 3 in the car.

can anyone tell me if one can check family visit on the Cuban affidavit or does it have to be people to people? Norwegian seems to not give me a straight answer. I received an email from them stating people to people approved excursions with them but wondering if one booked their own excursions what to put down on the affidavit.

thank you.

can anyone tell me if one can check family visit on the Cuban affidavit or does it have to be people to people? Norwegian seems to not give me a straight answer. I received an email from them stating people to people approved excursions with them but wondering if one booked their own excursions what to put down on the affidavit.

thank you.

The Family Visit is if you are visiting relatives that live in Cuba. You want to do people-to-people on the affidavit. NCL tours are not really "approved' as there is no governing body that hands out the "approvals". More accurately, they are "qualified for people-to-people" as opposed to "being approved".

Again, it's just not a big issue - you will not be asked for the documentation either leaving cuba nor returning to US. It's just to keep a record of the purpose of the trip for 5 years in case you are asked.

We are using Cuba Outings...cubaoutings@gmail.com. Gloria is the tour operator. Very friendly. Can fit 3 in he car. Price is per car, not per person. Much cheaper that way. Tour is from 9AM to 5 PM. You can tailor your tour to see what you want to see.

We are using Cuba Outings...cubaoutings@gmail.com. Gloria is the tour operator. Very friendly. Can fit 3 in he car. Price is per car, not per person. Much cheaper that way. Tour is from 9AM to 5 PM. You can tailor your tour to see what you want to see.

I see this is a email address does the company have a website that I could look at the tours they offer. Thanks

• 5 months later...

What did you pay?

Checking "people to people" is for NCL tours. If you are doing independent tours you should check "support for the Cuban people".

NCL just announced that the Cuba trip will be shortened due to maintenance problems. We will arrive in Cuba at 9 instead of 8 and leave at 2 instead of 5. All shore excursions will have different times or be cancelled.

We scheduled an official NCL "Person to Person" tour for our first afternoon in Havana and it was cancelled (by us, when we were informed that most of it was unavailable, due to a national holiday that NCL was mysteriously unaware of.)

Instead, we got off the ship, went through Cuban customs and walked around Havana on our own. There were dozens of classic cars, right outside the port building, offering to give us tours of the city. We didn't take them up on it, but there are plenty of non-NCL options, right outside the port.

Do not book through the ship. Price is a rip-off. Booked ours through

oldcartours dot com. Add in the 30 CUC extra to have an English speaking tour guide. Worth every dime. We had a phenomenal tour with them and price is PER CAR, not per person like on the ship. We did this just this past December. Enjoy!

oldcartours dot com. Add in the 30 CUC extra to have an English speaking tour guide. Worth every dime. We had a phenomenal tour with them and price is PER CAR, not per person like on the ship. We did this just this past December. Enjoy!

This is who we are using for our April cruise. We are doing the 6 hour with English speaking guide. How was your tour?

We used Old Car Tours as well, We were able to arrange for them to pick us up at the paladar where we had lunch reservations. Highly recommended.

• 3 weeks later...

on our last Cuba visit exchanging USD for CUC was a bit of a hassle, we are going to arrange a car tour once we get off the ship....so I guess we will need CUC, is there anyplace to exchange here in the US?

on our last Cuba visit exchanging USD for CUC was a bit of a hassle, we are going to arrange a car tour once we get off the ship....so I guess we will need CUC, is there anyplace to exchange here in the US?

No. You cannot exchange for CUCs anywhere but in Cuba.

What was the hassle? There is a currency exchange right inside the terminal. Were the lines too long or something? You might want to get off the ship at a time when the ship's excursions are not leaving. There is also a CADECA on the square (Plaza de San Francisco) where you can exchange dollars for CUCs.

If you want to save money bring Euros

Just back today, money exchange was easy peasy, I had Euros to convert to CUC. There’s a flat screen monitor showing conversion rates for many currencies including USD.

We got a car on our own 50 CUC an hour but friends negotiated 40. You walk right out from terminal and cars driving by you can easily find one.

The Sky was great much better than when I was in a few years ago. Food in MDR was fantastic better than Adagio’s last night. If they have lamb shank in MDR you have to get it it was phenomenal!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums