help with tours

bahnjoe

Hi,1st time cruiser and on island escape for 14 nights 16th September.had been told not to book tours with ship as there expensive so booked with company only to be emailed today saying there tours were cancelled.have trawled through sites for hours and they are more expensive still.any tips please.thanks

Edited by bahnjoe

Probably about to get shot down in flames, but I think Thomson tour prices aren't that bad :eek: (compared with NCL anyway). In fact we normally book the excursions in advance with Thomsons as it saves a couple of quid & any worry of what to do if an independent doesn't turn up. & you can always cancel or change a tour when on the ship with 24 hrs. notice.

I would advise that you do your research and maybe do a search on Thomson forum for the ports of call you are interested in. There are a lot of places you can DIY. Kruzseeka is a mine of information, if you can find any of her posts that are relevant, and she nearly always DIY's.:):)

Jan

As Jan says do some research ....just google the place name or look on Trip advisor, or there's a site called whatsinport.com which has lots of info.....most places on the Med itineraries are easy to go ashore independently....the only place we always do a trip is Morocco, but I'm not sure what itinerary you are doing......

A lot of places have hop on hop off buses/trains which are a good way of seeing the area. You can visit Rome by train for around 12 euros return per person...

If you want further details about any specific ports just ask as we have been to most of the Med ports and usually do our own thing :)

I know, I know.....we've been watching the swallows/housemartin's set off on their long journey south and realised that of course it means autumn is almost here.....though we are promised a bit of a heatwave this week!!

Bit concerned we don't have a cruise booked!! wondering whether to do Christmas and New Year again....we did enjoy it last year and see that Oriana is going to the Caribbean this year so may just try that.....we have done the itinerary before but it would be nice to get some warm sun on our backs....but there is also a nice Fred Olsen one in November going to Cuba, Bermuda and Bahamas and the Caribbean islands for 34 nights for an excellent price.....decisions, decisions!!! :)

Have you got anything booked Jan? It is nice to have something to look forward to isn't it?.

Sadly no bookings for me just now. I'm finding it hard to even get out of the house at the moment because the builders keep coming and going. We do have a canal trip to go on with afternoon tea so that's going to have to do for now, not quite the same as the Fred Olsen one though is it? lol. It was so hot today, unvelievable!:D

Jan

Hi,1st time cruiser and on island escape for 14 nights 16th September.had been told not to book tours with ship as they're expensive so booked with company only to be emailed today saying their tours were cancelled.have trawled through sites for hours and they are more expensive still.any tips please.thanks

Booking with the ship gives security because the ship will wait if the excursion is delayed getting back

Booking with the ship gives security because the ship will wait if the excursion is delayed getting back

This is true but sometimes it's nice to go off and do your own thing if the ship is in port for long enough. So often it's a short day until departure but if you do diy always remember to take enough money for a taxi ride back just in case and put the ship's phone number in your phone. A fellow member was having a lovely evening in port but on return to the ship found that they had locked the port gates. Luckily she called the ship and they found someone to open up.:):)

Jan

Edited by ekco