Palma de Mallorca - DIY?

canadian9981

Hi. Hoping Roger is still answering questions.

We may be stopping in Palma in early January. (I say "maybe" because I'm expecting one port call to be cancelled, with hopefully a substitution made, for example, Palma.) I was wondering what Mallorca is like in January - fewer tourists? anything much closed? warm enough to be comfortable without heavy jackets?

We've been to Palma twice before, and saw Deia, Valldemossa (didn't go inside monastery, though - just saw the town briefly), Port de Soller and Soller, and to a Torre (des Animes maybe? forget the name) along the coast. If we end up in Palma again, I'd like to go somewhere different. I was hoping to get up to the lighthouse at the northern point, but believe that may be closed to cars now, or if not, a little too scary (and possibly too far) for us to handle. We haven't been to the Caves yet and might consider that, but would you happen to know if they are open, or accessible, on the first week of January? (I believe it would be a week day. I would guess we'd NOT be assigned to dock at the far Porto Pi berth, and I'm guessing we would have a reasonably long day there timewise.)

Any other suggestions? I like towers, small towns, scenery, and lighthouses. We are willing to rent a car. When there before, we used Europcar, not too far from the port (although we had to take a bus there, which was easy.)

MartyAP--You mentioned that you may be shopping for Mallorca Pearls. Be sure you are aware that these are manmade beads using glass centers with organic coatings to simulate genuine pearls. The original and best known brand of these is Majorica pearls, but there are variations of the name by other manufacturers.

True pearls fall into 2 categories:

NATURAL pearls are accidents of nature, found in oysters or other mollusks. Quite rare to find matched natural pearls for a strand.

CULTURED pearls are farmed by man, but grown in oysters or mollusks after inserting a bead made from shell. Freshwater pearls grown in mollusks are more prevalent and less expensive than seawater (Akoya) pearls grown in oysters.

SIMULATED pearls are a manufactured bead, ranging in quality from cheap plastic to the branded versions of Mallorca pearls. They are pretty to look at, but definitely not genuine pearls.

Like everything else you shop for, do a little homework. The certificates issued do not claim to to be genuine pearls, they simply state that these are AUTHENTIC

beads manufactured to look and feel like genuine pearls.

Barb(a jeweler)

Hi all. This thread was a great help to us one our recent Symphony stop in Palma. Couple points I wanted to share from our recent trip:1) When we said we wanted to go to Illetas beach, the cab driver warned us that cabs don't come out there on their own. We decided to switch to Palma Novoa beach and it was also beautiful and there was a cab stand right near where we rented a sun bed. There were lots of little stores across the street where we could get cheap snacks and sand toys for the kids.

2) Taxis charge whatever they want. We had to take 2 taxis everywhere and we literally were charged a different amount each way for each taxi. It was ridiculous. (we went to beach and back to port and then took a taxi into town to Born street for the good shopping).

Definitely can't walk anywhere from the port so plan on taking ship shuttles or taxi. Ship shuttles stop running after noon. We came back from beach and then took taxi downtown.

Not true Taxis in any country will try to rip you off !! Taxis in Majorca are metered and have a point to point regulated fares,your driver did not want to take you to Illetas beach because he wanted the larger fare to Palma Nova.

There is a taxi rank in Illetas and the beach bar can call up a taxi anywhere in the area of Calvia for you .

Sorry you where ripped off !!

http://www.bestofmallorca.net/information/transport/mallorca-majorca-taxis-fares

Edited by roger b
wrong www

Hi all. This thread was a great help to us one our recent Symphony stop in Palma. Couple points I wanted to share from our recent trip:1) When we said we wanted to go to Illetas beach, the cab driver warned us that cabs don't come out there on their own. We decided to switch to Palma Novoa beach and it was also beautiful and there was a cab stand right near where we rented a sun bed. There were lots of little stores across the street where we could get cheap snacks and sand toys for the kids.

2) Taxis charge whatever they want. We had to take 2 taxis everywhere and we literally were charged a different amount each way for each taxi. It was ridiculous. (we went to beach and back to port and then took a taxi into town to Born street for the good shopping).

Definitely can't walk anywhere from the port so plan on taking ship shuttles or taxi. Ship shuttles stop running after noon. We came back from beach and then took taxi downtown.

Hope this is helpful.

Not true Taxis in any country will try to rip you off !! Taxis in Majorca are metered and have a point to point regulated fares,your driver did not want to take you to Illetas beach because he wanted the larger fare to Palma Nova.

There is a taxi rank in Illetas and the beach bar can call up a taxi anywhere in the area of Calvia for you .

Sorry you where ripped off !!

http://www.bestofmallorca.net/inform...ca-taxis-fares

EDITQUOTEmultiquote_off.gif

Hi. Hoping Roger is still answering questions.

We may be stopping in Palma in early January. (I say "maybe" because I'm expecting one port call to be cancelled, with hopefully a substitution made, for example, Palma.) I was wondering what Mallorca is like in January - fewer tourists? anything much closed? warm enough to be comfortable without heavy jackets?

We've been to Palma twice before, and saw Deia, Valldemossa (didn't go inside monastery, though - just saw the town briefly), Port de Soller and Soller, and to a Torre (des Animes maybe? forget the name) along the coast. If we end up in Palma again, I'd like to go somewhere different. I was hoping to get up to the lighthouse at the northern point, but believe that may be closed to cars now, or if not, a little too scary (and possibly too far) for us to handle. We haven't been to the Caves yet and might consider that, but would you happen to know if they are open, or accessible, on the first week of January? (I believe it would be a week day. I would guess we'd NOT be assigned to dock at the far Porto Pi berth, and I'm guessing we would have a reasonably long day there timewise.)

Any other suggestions? I like towers, small towns, scenery, and lighthouses. We are willing to rent a car. When there before, we used Europcar, not too far from the port (although we had to take a bus there, which was easy.)

The caves of Drach are a nice experience and are open in the winter when it will not be crowded and a perfect time to visit the town that is quite close Porto Cristo is also nice to visit.

http://www.cuevasdeldrach.com/en/precios.php

Two other suggestions :

Take the road to Andratx Come off the road at sign post Camp de Mar and follow the road to Port de Antratx then take the coast road round to port de Valdommosa for lunch then back to Palma.

/www.abc-mallorca.com/port-andratx/

Take the Motorway to Lluc then on to Sa Colobra the back to Palma via Alaro where there is a castle (Bit of a climb) the have lunch in the famous lamb restaurant.

www.seemallorca.com/sights/religious/lluc-sanctuary-lluc

www.abc-mallorca.com/sa-calobra/

www.abc-mallorca.com/es-verger-restaurant-alaro/

Edited by roger b
wrong www

Hi Roger, I'm sailing on Celebrity Reflection and arriving on Aug 8th. I'm not sure what pier we will dock at but I am considering the Oasis Catamaran. They are located right behind the restaurant the Boat House which is right along the road that runs along the ocean. So it appears I can take Bus 1. When I look online it says this route is 5 euros per person. Is that correct? Or is that just the cost to get the airport? It seems like most the other routes are 1.50 Euros. Are you able to buy the tickets from the bus driver? Thank you. Also, any thoughts on taking a catamaran trip? This is my first time to to visit, and I'm with family. Thanks again.

Hi Roger, I'm sailing on Celebrity Reflection and arriving on Aug 8th. I'm not sure what pier we will dock at but I am considering the Oasis Catamaran. They are located right behind the restaurant the Boat House which is right along the road that runs along the ocean. So it appears I can take Bus 1. When I look online it says this route is 5 euros per person. Is that correct? Or is that just the cost to get the airport? It seems like most the other routes are 1.50 Euros. Are you able to buy the tickets from the bus driver? Thank you. Also, any thoughts on taking a catamaran trip? This is my first time to to visit, and I'm with family. Thanks again.

It is about a 20/30 min walk or 2 eu on the bus you can buy the ticket on the bus, if the ship docks at the new terminal which quite some distance from the bus stop , I would get the ship's shuttle and walk back to the oasis pier.

I have never been on the Oasis but it often visits the bay where I live in Illetas ,will be crowded in August ,a good day out in crystal clear warm waters PARTY !! PARTY !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Roger, We will be in port on Monday, October 29, from 7-5. We would like to rent a car and drive to Sa Calobra. With all of my research, I feel this is easily done, but would like to get confirmation from you. Thank you for all of the information you have provided in this thread!!

Barb

Roger, We will be in port on Monday, October 29, from 7-5. We would like to rent a car and drive to Sa Calobra. With all of my research, I feel this is easily done, but would like to get confirmation from you. Thank you for all of the information you have provided in this thread!!

Barb

I see no Problem with this if you are using my suggestions in earlier threads ,it is a wild and beautiful part of the island and you will be visiting there when it will not be crowded.

Take time to visit the monastery of Lluc and have lunch there or my other suggestion which is near by,

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/sa-calobra/

http://www.esvergeret.com/index.php?lang=2

https://www.seemallorca.com/sights/religious/lluc-sanctuary-lluc

i see no problem with this if you are using my suggestions in earlier threads ,it is a wild and beautiful part of the island and you will be visiting there when it will not be crowded.

Take time to visit the monastery of lluc and have lunch there or my other suggestion which is near by,

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/sa-calobra/

http://www.esvergeret.com/index.php?lang=2

https://www.seemallorca.com/sights/religious/lluc-sanctuary-lluc

thank you!

Roger, What would you suggest are the best choices of things to do for a family of four, ages 52, 50, 18 and 17. We aren't the lay on the beach type, although that could be an option. We like history, photo ops, physical activities like hiking, segway, bikes, etc. Thanks!

We did the Segway tour and really enjoyed it. Our guide was great.

• 2 weeks later...
Nikki Beach or ME Melia Magaluf - Anyone been here recently? Worth it? Looking for a beach day and both places offer sunbed rental. Thanks!

ME Melia is a 4 star hotel quite down market and I am not sure they do beach day, I think it is only for guests.

Nikki beach is the big party scene in Majorca,

https://www.nikkibeach.com/destinations/beach-clubs/mallorca/

if you want a quieter upmarket beach day try.

https://www.purobeach.com/en/beach-club-illetas/

Edited by roger b
spelling

If you just need chair and umbrella rental there is no need for a beach club. Palmanova is a nice beach closer to Palma than Magaluf where Nikki is located. Beach clubs sell expensive "exclusivity"for people who are willing to pay for it. Nothing is happening there in the daytime but there are some scheduled theme parties during the season. Beach is the same.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Roger,

We will be in Mallorca on October 6. I am trying to find a good half day tour to be able to see the sights around Mallorca. I found 2 tours and wanted to see if you could please take a moment and look at them and give me your opinion which would be the better tour. They are both around the same price. I am also looking at a few other tours but wanted to first get your opinion on these since they are probably the final 2 in which to choose.

https://majorca-tours.net/escursione/valldemossa-soller-palma-vip/

https://majorca-tours.net/escursione/palma-valldemossa-vip/

Thank you very much,

Howard

If you just need chair and umbrella rental there is no need for a beach club. Palmanova is a nice beach closer to Palma than Magaluf where Nikki is located. Beach clubs sell expensive "exclusivity"for people who are willing to pay for it. Nothing is happening there in the daytime but there are some scheduled theme parties during the season. Beach is the same.

Yes I agree with you that it is the same Beach ,But there is a difference some people like to travel club and others coach that is the difference.

Roger,

We will be in Mallorca on October 6. I am trying to find a good half day tour to be able to see the sights around Mallorca. I found 2 tours and wanted to see if you could please take a moment and look at them and give me your opinion which would be the better tour. They are both around the same price. I am also looking at a few other tours but wanted to first get your opinion on these since they are probably the final 2 in which to choose.

https://majorca-tours.net/escursione/valldemossa-soller-palma-vip/

https://majorca-tours.net/escursione/palma-valldemossa-vip/

Thank you very much,

Howard

Hi Howard,

I would defiantly take the first one , it is a much better insight in to the beauty of the island as the road from Valldemossa to Soller is a lovely drive and Soller is a pretty Majorcan village.

• Like 1

Thanks. Yes I contacted Nikki Beach and because we are traveling with children they said of course are welcome for lunch, they are not permitted by the the pool and suggested the Melia. They do rent sun beds and Balinese beds with a minimum food and beverage purchase. You also have access to the pool. I wasn’t sure if it’s worth it given we don’t get into port until 1pm. Thanks for the other suggestions. I read through most of the posts and it seems people seem to like palmanova. Maybe we will go with that.

Thanks. Yes I contacted Nikki Beach and because we are traveling with children they said of course are welcome for lunch, they are not permitted by the the pool and suggested the Melia. They do rent sun beds and Balinese beds with a minimum food and beverage purchase. You also have access to the pool. I wasn’t sure if it’s worth it given we don’t get into port until 1pm. Thanks for the other suggestions. I read through most of the posts and it seems people seem to like palmanova. Maybe we will go with that.

Yes Palma Nova would be your good option with children, personally I would go to Illetas beach it is nearer the port and not too crowded,

https://www.seemallorca.com/beaches/illetas-beach-palma-de-mallorca-illetes-(beach-resort)-664304

Is the railroad to Soller walkable from the port?

Roger - Since you live on Palma I am thinking of doing this tour https://majorca-tours.net/escursione/valldemossa-soller-palma-vip/ however i ready that several people have found a driver at port to take them around the island for minimal costs compared to tour rates. There are 6 of us traveling. Would it be possible to take public transportation to see Valldemossa & Soller or does that need to be done with Tour company?

thanks so much for your assistance.

Yes Palma Nova would be your good option with children, personally I would go to Illetas beach it is nearer the port and not too crowded,

https://www.seemallorca.com/beaches/illetas-beach-palma-de-mallorca-illetes-(beach-resort)-664304

Hi, I figured I would report back. From the cruise port we ended up going to Palma Nova. They charged us Euro 30 going (no Meter) and Euro 20 (metered) coming back. Fairly Quick ride. Less than 15 minutes. Taxi stand right next to the beach. There were two options for chairs.. Right and left side with people lying on towels in the middle. Euro 15 for 2 chairs and small Tiki type umbrella. You were able to rent a bicycle car with a small slide for the water. I did see some people on banana boats but they must have picked them up down the shore. Could also see Magaluf resorts in the distance. I mean the beach was fine. Scenic, water warm. The kids loved it and had a blast but I personally was looking for a cushion lounge chair with food and drink service. There was a small beach restaurant on the promenade called Campino Beach I was able to get a wine and some food. Some people in our party ended up across the street at a Pizzeria on the corner. Large delicious pizzas.