Carnival tipping to Bag Porters

Do you tip your Doc when he is finished examining your prostate? I mean, it is a service!

These arguments make no sense "I tip because they provided a service." By that definition everything is a service. Do you tip the grocery store cashier? Do you tip your bank teller? What about your dentist? How about customer service folks you talk to on the phone, for any number of companies.. they provide a service, in fact... it's in their job title. I provide services all the time, and I do not expect nor would I accept.. a tip. Personally, I would question the ethics of a person who makes six figures, and then accepts a tip for a job they are already paid to do.

Luckily, I do not tip porters at all..we roll our luggage on an off ourselves. Faster and more reliable anyway.

I’m not old enough to need those particular exams yet. But I do pay my doctor for his services.

How do you feel about the guy who bags and carries your groceries out to your car at the grocery store? No tip?

• Like 1

Personally, I would question the ethics of a person who makes six figures, and then accepts a tip for a job they are already paid to do.

Why? It is done all the time, including by professionals. Perhaps not in cash, but, for example, in the form of a pie? Do they declare the fair market value of the pie on their tax return?

I question the ethics of those who extend "professional courtesy" to those in the same or similar field, while gouging the general public.

I’m not old enough to need those particular exams yet. But I do pay my doctor for his services.

How do you feel about the guy who bags and carries your groceries out to your car at the grocery store? No tip?

Nope.. I carry my own. If I ever got to the point where I needed someone to carry them, then that would deserve a tip, unless they are paid a full wage for their work, and that service is included in their job description.

That is the bottom line... if you are being paid to do something already, why should you receive a tip? Wait staff are not being paid a full wage, their salary is dependent upon tips.. therefore it is appropriate to tip.

If someone took groceries to the car, and were paid a full hourly wage, and their job description included taking groceries to a car... why would you tip? You just said above "I pay my doctor for his services." Well, that is not likely true. You pay the office he works for, or the office he owns, and in turn he is paid out of a payroll account. No different than that full wage worker that takes your groceries to the car.

On a related note... unless you are disabled.. if you are not old enough to have a prostate exam, you are probably okay to handle your own groceries to the car as well. ;p

Why? It is done all the time, including by professionals. Perhaps not in cash, but, for example, in the form of a pie? Do they declare the fair market value of the pie on their tax return?

I question the ethics of those who extend "professional courtesy" to those in the same or similar field, while gouging the general public.

Yes.. because it is done all the time, that means it is okay! :rolleyes:

Not really sure what you mean about the professional courtesy.

Yes.. because it is done all the time, that means it is okay! :rolleyes:

Not really sure what you mean about the professional courtesy.

An example would be one cop letting another cop slide on a speeding ticket.

Waitstaff in some other countries do not depend on tips.

I'm no doctor, but would think the only thing that would make prostate exams unnecessary would be if you were female.

I'm no doctor, but would think the only thing that would make prostate exams unnecessary would be if you were female.

Digital and PSA tests are no longer considered by many health care professionals to be necessary as part of a routine annual physical exam in the absence of symptoms.

Full Disclosure: I am not a health care professional nor did I stay in a major chain hotel last evening and I still tip $2 per bag at the cruise terminal.

Nope.. I carry my own. If I ever got to the point where I needed someone to carry them, then that would deserve a tip, unless they are paid a full wage for their work, and that service is included in their job description.

That is the bottom line... if you are being paid to do something already, why should you receive a tip? Wait staff are not being paid a full wage, their salary is dependent upon tips.. therefore it is appropriate to tip.

If someone took groceries to the car, and were paid a full hourly wage, and their job description included taking groceries to a car... why would you tip? You just said above "I pay my doctor for his services." Well, that is not likely true. You pay the office he works for, or the office he owns, and in turn he is paid out of a payroll account. No different than that full wage worker that takes your groceries to the car.

On a related note... unless you are disabled.. if you are not old enough to have a prostate exam, you are probably okay to handle your own groceries to the car as well. ;p

Just because I asked if you felt a grocery bagger should get a tip doesn’t mean I don’t carry my own bags out to my vehicle. :rolleyes:

Let’s say the guy who cuts your hair owns the barber shop he works in? No tip?

• Haha 1

Or under 40

Are you a MD or did you stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Age aside, I would think anytime you have symptoms that might warrant.

Q: At what age should I have my first screening test?

A: The American Cancer Society recommends men learn as much as they can about prostate cancer screening risks and benefits and discuss the information with their doctor before deciding whether to be tested at all. Men at average risk of prostate cancer should have this discussion starting at age 50. Men at higher than average risk should have the discussion starting at age 40 or 45.

https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/prostate-cancer-screening-faq.html

A: The American Cancer Society recommends men learn as much as they can about prostate cancer screening risks and benefits and discuss the information with their doctor before deciding whether to be tested at all. Men at average risk of prostate cancer should have this discussion starting at age 50. Men at higher than average risk should have the discussion starting at age 40 or 45.

I can tell you that screening is at best, not that reliable for early detection. Even with a PSA test. there are false positives and false negatives. That is part of the discussion whether you bother at all. But the prognosis is very poor if you reach stage 4 before detecting. That is also a factor.

There are some who think we always have cancer cells in our body that are normally kept in check. I don't know if I believe that, but think it is possible.

Your body, your choice to live or die with.

Just because I asked if you felt a grocery bagger should get a tip doesn’t mean I don’t carry my own bags out to my vehicle. :rolleyes:

Let’s say the guy who cuts your hair owns the barber shop he works in? No tip?

Owns it.. probably not. I go to Great Clips, and the stylist/barber there is an independent contractor paying for that space. I tip, because they are not paid a full wage.

Wow.. this got way off topic. I only posted that Doctor/Prostate example as a service.. that we do not tip for.

However, since you posted it. I started my career as an Oncology nurse, and as a 42 year old with a history of cancer.. I know these guidelines all too well. Just an FYI... if there is a history of cancer, men should have the exam as early as 35. However, that is just prudent anyway, and even with the PSA & DRE not being completely reliable, they are more reliable as a combination, and have led to a diagnosis.

I meant here in the US. I would make sure I understood in another country.

Owns it.. probably not. I go to Great Clips, and the stylist/barber there is an independent contractor paying for that space. I tip, because they are not paid a full wage.

See my barber owns the shop and I tip him just as I would if he didn’t own the place.

I don’t care what they make. They are providing a service for me. I don’t care if they’re driving a bus, moving bags, making my bed, getting me a drink...I’ll tip them for the service they are providing me. It’s none of my business what they make.

I bet there are lots of people who provide a service to you that you don't tip.

I tip in 2 situations.

1) where I know that the person is being paid less than the market value for those services with tips expected to make up the difference

2) where the person is paid fairly for what they do, but goes above and beyond for me

Neither applies to Union longshoremen. #1 is why I never have and never will remove or adjust the auto-grats. #2 is why I don't do much additional tipping 'just because'. If all the MDR waiter does is take my order and bring my food then I feel no need to tip beyond the auto-grats. Last cruise the additional tips went to the piano bar guy and the 2 bartenders and the waitress at the piano bar. They fit #2.

So the porter's go onto the ship to speed delivery of your suitcase? I don't think so.

I know in some cases porters have some influence. Several years ago at Port Canaveral when water was allowed. I stopped to drop off my bags to unload them. I had a case of water and two 12 packs of soda in my car. The porter grab those, I told him I was going to carry those. He said no need, he wrote out a luggage tag and tape on them. I few hours later the drinks were at my cabin. This was good service for $10.00.

So here’s a follow up question

The tip is given to the porters at the baggage drop area. I assume they get the bags from that spot to the ship. But then there the guys on the ship that actually get the bags to each floor and then in front of your cabin door.

Does your tip cover the entire value chain of baggage delivery or only to the guys that get your bags to the ship. Do the guys who route the bags to the rooms get some of the collected tips ? If not, that’s the travesty here

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know in some cases porters have some influence. Several years ago at Port Canaveral when water was allowed. I stopped to drop off my bags to unload them. I had a case of water and two 12 packs of soda in my car. The porter grab those, I told him I was going to carry those. He said no need, he wrote out a luggage tag and tape on them. I few hours later the drinks were at my cabin. This was good service for $10.00.

yeah i dont believe they do. They put the luggage into bins. How it is loaded onto the ship is how it gets delivered.

We tip good and we are platinum and never got our stuff super fast