Comparable to the Fantasy

Gators77

I've been on three other cruise lines, and wouldn't say that any of the ships I've been on were comparable to the Fantasy.

Fantasy had:

bigger cabins (except when we got a suite on another line)

better entertainment (even though the Fantasy's shows are my least favorite on DCL)

Better decor

Better use of color, imagination, whimsy, etc.

soda included in cruise fare

Other lines had better food and surprisingly better kid programs (smaller, more organized), fewer kids running around unsupervised throughout the ship

But it is possible that I just haven't explored the "right" ships to find one comparable to the Fantasy.

I've been on three other cruise lines' date=' and wouldn't say that any of the ships I've been on were comparable to the Fantasy.

Fantasy had:

bigger cabins (except when we got a suite on another line)

better entertainment (even though the Fantasy's shows are my least favorite on DCL)

Better decor

Better use of color, imagination, whimsy, etc.

soda included in cruise fare

Other lines had better food and surprisingly better kid programs (smaller, more organized), fewer kids running around unsupervised throughout the ship

But it is possible that I just haven't explored the "right" ships to find one comparable to the Fantasy.[/quote']

What cruise line did you go on that had better food and kid programs? We just got off the Harmony/RCI and the food was horrible compared to Disney(and I didn't think Disney had the greatest food last year on the Fantasy either). My 5yo son absolutely loved their kids club tho!

What cruise line did you go on that had better food and kid programs? We just got off the Harmony/RCI and the food was horrible compared to Disney(and I didn't think Disney had the greatest food last year on the Fantasy either). My 5yo son absolutely loved their kids club tho!

Princess. We've done several other Princess cruises where the food was OK, not great. On our most recent, the food was the best I've had on any ship in the last 10+ years.

The thing about their kid programs is that there are a lot more organized activities and a lot less free play. Yes, a kid can just sit and color if they want...but DCL is so busy that if a kid is not participating, they are likely to be ignored. On Princess, if a kid wanted to sit and color, a youth worker would likely be there talking with them, etc. Also NO moving kids up in the age groups. If a kid "needs" to be with a sibling, the older child can move down...and suddenly they don't "need" to be together. DCL has tried everything under the sun and they still allow parents to move up kids who are younger than the stated age for the older programs.

Princess. We've done several other Princess cruises where the food was OK' date=' not great. On our most recent, the food was the best I've had on any ship in the last 10+ years.

The thing about their kid programs is that there are a lot more organized activities and a lot less free play. Yes, a kid can just sit and color if they want...but DCL is so busy that if a kid is not participating, they are likely to be ignored. On Princess, if a kid wanted to sit and color, a youth worker would likely be there talking with them, etc. Also NO moving kids up in the age groups. If a kid "needs" to be with a sibling, the older child can move down...and suddenly they don't "need" to be together. DCL has tried everything under the sun and they still allow parents to move up kids who are younger than the stated age for the older programs.[/quote']

Did your kids like the Princess kids clubs better than Disney? We were worried there wouldn't be enough for our kids to do on Princess. They are 14,11, and 5. My 5yo loved the kids club on RCI, but hated Disney's when he was 4. Not sure if it was all age related but it's intimating in there with all those kids and mixing 10-12yo with 3-5yo IMO. Not sure why Disney does that.

Did your kids like the Princess kids clubs better than Disney? We were worried there wouldn't be enough for our kids to do on Princess. They are 14,11, and 5. My 5yo loved the kids club on RCI, but hated Disney's when he was 4. Not sure if it was all age related but it's intimating in there with all those kids and mixing 10-12yo with 3-5yo IMO. Not sure why Disney does that.

My daughter has aged out of the kid programming now, but we were with friends who had kids and they LOVED it. My daughter went thru phases on DCL--she loved it when she was on the OC but really didn't like the lab age group (at that point they were separated). The teen group was really dependent on who was there. I think her issue with the lab was that she was in that group for many cruises. If she made a buddy in the first day or so, it was good. If not, it was not a hit.

Anyhow, the kids we were with were 8 and 13, and both loved the Princess program. The hours aren't quite as extensive as DCL, and you have to make a reservation in order to drop off while the ship is in port. There is no charge, but if no kids sign up, they'll close and give the staff some time off. We cruised over spring break, so there were a fair number of kids. What I liked was that it was a lot more calm and organized than DCL, and that you do have age groups....so no 12 year olds running over the 4 year olds. I was never told what was so good about the teen program, but the 13 year old wanted to go every day. They also have a policy that if there are fewer than 20 kids on board, they will cancel the kid program. We probably had about 400 on board on a ship that had 3000 passengers.

My daughter has aged out of the kid programming now' date=' but we were with friends who had kids and they LOVED it. My daughter went thru phases on DCL--she loved it when she was on the OC but really didn't like the lab age group (at that point they were separated). The teen group was really dependent on who was there. I think her issue with the lab was that she was in that group for many cruises. If she made a buddy in the first day or so, it was good. If not, it was not a hit.

Anyhow, the kids we were with were 8 and 13, and both loved the Princess program. The hours aren't quite as extensive as DCL, and you have to make a reservation in order to drop off while the ship is in port. There is no charge, but if no kids sign up, they'll close and give the staff some time off. We cruised over spring break, so there were a fair number of kids. What I liked was that it was a lot more calm and organized than DCL, and that you do have age groups....so no 12 year olds running over the 4 year olds. I was never told what was so good about the teen program, but the 13 year old wanted to go every day. They also have a policy that if there are fewer than 20 kids on board, they will cancel the kid program. We probably had about 400 on board on a ship that had 3000 passengers.[/quote']

Besides the kids clubs, is there much for them to do on a Princess ship? We were worried they would be bored, especially in the evenings. We were considering doing Princess over Disney for an Alaska itinerary.

We've actually seen some of the same variety entertainers on Princess and DCL. The difference is that on Princess they are not required to be G rated. Some still keep it clean, while others are definitely not kid appropriate. There are pools, Movies Under the Stars, crummy internet. In Alaska, the speakers are amazing (or at least one is), and they have activities like "Puppies in the Piazza" where there are sled dog pups on board to be cuddled and photographed...but the line can be long for this. And on Princess, kids with parents can use the fitness center. There is an age limit, I'm not sure what it was...10? or 12?

Alaska is all about Alaska. It isn't about Micky and Minnie in parkas. Our first "non DCL" cruise in modern times was Alaska because I couldn't see paying DCL prices when I'd have the same scenery and wildlife no matter what line we chose. Don't get me wrong; we like DCL. But this year we have booked 2 weeks in Alaska on Princess for $4000 less than a single week on DCL. I can use some of that money for great excursions! Tipping is also different on Princess. Bottom line, just pay the standard tip and don't worry about who gets what. If you want to give someone extra, do it in cash. Cabins are much larger on DCL; it takes a mini suite on Princess to approximate a normal cabin on DCL. And depending on your ship choice, price out a "Window Suite." Only a few ships have these, but they are sometimes less costly than a mini suite and include all the full suite benefits! Also look at connecting cabins--that might work well for 4. 4 people in a "normal" Princess cabin would be tight.

The productions shows on Princess generally stink, although Voice of the Ocean was worth seeing. In fairness, I haven't been on a ship that had the newer shows. But don't expect DCL quality there. The buffet on Princess is open from early morning to late at night, and the Internal Cafe is open almost 24/7. Lots more options for a late snack than DCL. We tend to eat in the MDR.

I can't tell you which your kids would like better. But I've never heard a complaint about the programming. I've reached the point of using other lines for port intensive cruises--the ports are the same. The prices are better. DCL is best for cruises where you have lots of sea days to enjoy the special Disney touches.

Princess is in the process of upgrading internet on all ships and offering an "unlimited" package. On those ships not yet upgraded, the internet is expensive (by the minute) and awful. I've heard good things about the upgrade and prices are much more reasonable, but have no personal experience with it.

We've actually seen some of the same variety entertainers on Princess and DCL. The difference is that on Princess they are not required to be G rated. Some still keep it clean' date=' while others are definitely not kid appropriate. There are pools, Movies Under the Stars, crummy internet. In Alaska, the speakers are amazing (or at least one is), and they have activities like "Puppies in the Piazza" where there are sled dog pups on board to be cuddled and photographed...but the line can be long for this. And on Princess, kids with parents can use the fitness center. There is an age limit, I'm not sure what it was...10? or 12?

Alaska is all about Alaska. It isn't about Micky and Minnie in parkas. Our first "non DCL" cruise in modern times was Alaska because I couldn't see paying DCL prices when I'd have the same scenery and wildlife no matter what line we chose. Don't get me wrong; we like DCL. But this year we have booked 2 weeks in Alaska on Princess for $4000 less than a single week on DCL. I can use some of that money for great excursions! Tipping is also different on Princess. Bottom line, just pay the standard tip and don't worry about who gets what. If you want to give someone extra, do it in cash. Cabins are much larger on DCL; it takes a mini suite on Princess to approximate a normal cabin on DCL. And depending on your ship choice, price out a "Window Suite." Only a few ships have these, but they are sometimes less costly than a mini suite and include all the full suite benefits! Also look at connecting cabins--that might work well for 4. 4 people in a "normal" Princess cabin would be tight.

The productions shows on Princess generally stink, although Voice of the Ocean was worth seeing. In fairness, I haven't been on a ship that had the newer shows. But don't expect DCL quality there. The buffet on Princess is open from early morning to late at night, and the Internal Cafe is open almost 24/7. Lots more options for a late snack than DCL. We tend to eat in the MDR.

I can't tell you which your kids would like better. But I've never heard a complaint about the programming. I've reached the point of using other lines for port intensive cruises--the ports are the same. The prices are better. DCL is best for cruises where you have lots of sea days to enjoy the special Disney touches.

Princess is in the process of upgrading internet on all ships and offering an "unlimited" package. On those ships not yet upgraded, the internet is expensive (by the minute) and awful. I've heard good things about the upgrade and prices are much more reasonable, but have no personal experience with it.[/quote']

Thank you for all your insight. I was thinking Princess would be a better option for an Alaska itinerary since you're not really there to see Mickey and Minnie. I'll have to check out the Window Suite option compared to maybe doing 2 connecting cabins with 2 in 1 room and 3 in the other. That's how we just did our RCI Harmony trip and it sure was nice to have 2 bathrooms. Is there a particular ship for Princess that you would recommend over the other for Alaska?

Thank you for all your insight. I was thinking Princess would be a better option for an Alaska itinerary since you're not really there to see Mickey and Minnie. I'll have to check out the Window Suite option compared to maybe doing 2 connecting cabins with 2 in 1 room and 3 in the other. That's how we just did our RCI Harmony trip and it sure was nice to have 2 bathrooms. Is there a particular ship for Princess that you would recommend over the other for Alaska?

A window suite won't hold 5. Sorry. Princess does have what they call a family suite, which will hold 5. I've never stayed in one, and I don't know what the prices are. As you noted, the other option is the two connecting cabins.

We are doing the Golden later this year. It is an older ship, and many of the "in the know" people say she is showing her age...but we really wanted the window suite and she has it. Fortunately, she has some good reviews too. The Island Princess was remodeled recently, adding more guest cabins and removing some public areas--people who cruised her "before" complain about that a lot. The Coral seems to be the favorite this year--newer, etc. The Regal or Royal is doing Alaska in 2019. These are one of the newest design of Princess ships and should have the unlimited internet. There are other ships doing Alaska--Emerald, Star, Ruby, etc. I really don't know a lot about them.

You DO want to do Glacier Bay. This is a national park area where DCL does not have the permission to cruise (there is a 10 year license issued that cruise lines compete for based on how environmentally friendly they are, etc). A national park ranger boards the ship and narrates the area as well as providing the "Junior Ranger" program for the kids. This is not a Princess program; it is offered in many national parks.

Princess pricing is odd. We got a very good package that included tips, some OBC, and specialty dining. For a long while, this was a better deal than anything else they offered. Now that they are getting close to some sailing dates, there are some last minute prices that are better than what we're paying, but we got the room we wanted. You are rather in the same situation, needing connecting rooms. They can fill up, so you often can't do a last minute booking. When Princess offers "deals" like "Sip and Sale," (free beverage package), they usually raise the fares! It has never been a good deal for us. The best way we've found to book Princess is to book when you know what you want; there are TAs who give you discounts or OBC. Then follow the new offers. If a new offer comes out that gives you a better price, the TA can "re-fare" your deal. You can keep the same cabins but get the new package provided that the category you have booked is available under the new deal. I never really feel like I KNOW I got the best price on Princess, but I am happy with what I got...if that makes sense. Also, we got a very good price using EZ Air (booking air thru Princess.) You can choose your own flights and secure the price. If the cost of the flights goes up, you are locked in at the lower rate. If it goes down, you can re-fare at the lower rate, keeping your same flights, up to 45 days before the flight! We re-fared our air twice for the upcoming cruise...not huge reductions, but worthwhile ones! The flights are now selling for almost double what we paid. EZ Air often has better rates than booking with the airline, as they certainly did in this case.

Anyhow...have fun, whatever you decide!

Its not often I disagree with Moki'smommy. And even in disagreeing, as I read Moki'smommy's post about Princess having access to Glacier Bay I find myself second guessing what I am going to write!

We are leaving Saturday on our third Alaskan cruise with DCL and it is probably our favorite DCL cruise, notwithstanding Moki'smommy comments about Glacier Bay which are well worth considering. We remain solidly in the DCL camp after having cruised both lines. The reasons are relatively simple: customer services, delivered by a DCL crew that is the most friendly and engaging that we have experienced, the entertainment is outstanding (although see the thread on repeating main shows), and the ships are beautiful architecturally, immaculately maintained and sailed by a highly competent officer corps and crew. When we sailed with Princess, the ships was dated, the food just "ok" and the server we had was distressingly un-engaging. I did like the Horizon Cafe for buffet service, but still prefer Cabanas even though it is not continuously open. We were traveling on Princess as empty nester during an off-peak period. The kids club was empty. In our early 60's we were the youngest people on the ship. I have no doubt Alaska is a different experience than the Canada/New England cruise we did with Princess given summer brings younger crowds.

As far as Alaska goes, we are somewhat guilty of not knowing what we don't know! But, the Alaska itinerary on Disney still deliver stunning landscapes and majestic scenery. We throughly enjoy this itinerary and are willing to pay the premium for DCL. I might consider doing Alaska on one of the smaller ship cruise lines like Seabourn, Crystal, Oceania or Regent Seven Seas in a future year to see what we are missing on DCL. They also make stops in small ports that the large ships don't visit. But, I am unlikely to go on Princess.

We have not entirely ruled out Princess as they have lots of itinerary choices that aren't available on DCL, and at reasonable pricing. We would go for their mini-suite.

I would also say the Disney air experience has been spotty. Supposedly it has improved, and we are going to test Disney on air for our 2019 European itineraries and an Adventure By Disney. To be competitive, Disney needs to improve the air options. My own experience with EZ air on Princess was not all that great. The flights were cancelled at 10 pm the night before a 6:30 am departure and we were pretty much left hanging. Longer story.

As to the original question, which related to the Fantasy, we have veered a bit of course from that question in this thread. That's because the Fantasy delivers a uniquely Disney ship experience in the Caribbean. The experience is less about itinerary than ship. We like an occasional family vacation on the Fantasy, but when itinerary is the driving factor (and usually it is), we seek out the Magic and Wonder. We are hopeful that as DCL rolls out the new ships in future years, the variety of itineraries will expand. That will keep this family sailing DCL for many future years! Lack of itinerary variety, or unique itineraries, is what would cause us to seek other options.

STH, I would have agreed with much of what you said about Princess until our last cruise. We did Japan on Princess in 2016 (20 nights). Japan was great, the ship was "so-so." The service was lackluster, food decent but nothing special. It was summer, so there were a lot of kids.

Fast forward to 2018. Our Princess cruise had the best food and service that I've experienced on any ship, including DCL ships, in many years. We even talked about how much fun our serving team was and how it reminded us of "Disney in the old days." The food ranged from very good to great. When I complained that our cabin was too hot, we had an "engineer" there within an hour, and when it wasn't fixed, a supervisor came and did it right! Our cabin steward was good--did what needed to be done efficiently and was polite in the hall, etc...but not really an exceptional personality. Still, I've had worse both on Princess and on DCL.

I love DCL, especially the classic ships. No question that the ships are far more attractive than any other line. The entertainment is excellent. I have, however, noticed a drop in service and food quality thru the years. We put up with a ceiling leak for 12 days on the Magic, along with a fan in our cabin to try to dry the carpet. I demanded a new cabin for the second leg of our B2B as they never got it fixed. I just can't justify the costs on DCL--usually at least double and sometimes as much as 4 times what we pay on other lines! And for Alaska, Glacier Bay and College Fiord are amazing. For our upcoming cruise, 7 nights on the Wonder in a balcony, 3 people was $10K. We have 14 nights in a "window suite" for less and includes all the suite perks! I just looked--DCL has an OGT for 7 nights for "only" $800 more than we're paying on Princess...but that's an OGT cabin, not a suite! And it is 7 nights, not 14.

Your Princess experience sounds like our Celebrity experience--we were definitely the youngest on the ship. When school is in session, you won't have a lot of kids on Princess, but we've always had some. School breaks, it becomes a younger crowd.

I hope that DCL comes out with something that really tempts me--I would love to be "Magical" sometime soon.

Edited by moki'smommy

As a diehard Disney cruiser, I'm going to jump into the Princess camp for Alaska too. There's no argument about DCL's customer service and entertainment, but I submit that you don't do Alaska for the ship, but for the itinerary. Being able to see both Hubbard Glacier AND Glacier Bay over just Tracy Arm was a big plus for us. You also need to compare time in port for each cruise. We did the southbound one way from Whittier to Vancouver, which allowed us the ability to fly in a few days early and explore Alaska and upon deparkation, enjoy a few days in Vancouver too (which obviously you can do on the Wonder round trip itinerary). The time in port was long enough that the only thing left free for us was the nighttime entertainment. After the first night, I never went back to the theater shows, but we did enjoy the adult late night clubs. Another small plus for us, was the anytime dining. On DCL we've always done main seating, since the second seating was too late for us. But quite honestly, 5:45 was earlier than we are used to. With anytime dining, we were able to dine at our normal time around 7:00. MInor convenience and not a deal maker/breaker for us, but nice to have had.

Good thoughts from Moki and Gometros. We are on the 9 night Alaskan on the Wonder that departs in a few days, so we will see Hubbard Glacier. We will do many more DCL cruises and return to Alaska every few years. But, our next Alaskan cruise might be on another cruise line that goes places to which DCL does not currently sail.

Thanks for the good dialogue!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums