Cunard Customer Service (USA) issues

Eric2005

What experience have people had with Cunard's 800 number customer service (USA)? I've encountered a number of problems: long delays getting through, a lack of adequate knowledge by some reps and even impatient (to put it mildly) employees with an 'attitude'.

Our recent experience with Cunard 800 reps were pleasant exchanges.

There were two calls for separate reasons, a question and then a booking. This was done on a Tues afternoon about 3PM Eastern time.

First was about a recent email offer which we received, the information was very professionally given after waiting about 10 minutes to speak to the rep.

The second call about a half hour later and the wait was about a few minutes (less than 3). At that time we booked an upcoming sailing. The Cunard rep was very professional and courteous in looking up the information and booking our particular requests for the sailing. She verified all the information and also answered any other questions. She then transmitted the confirmation while we were still on the phone.

We were very pleased after not speaking to a Cunard rep for a while and booking thru a private TA. Due to a not pleasant experience with the private TA the last time, we called Cunard direct and will again in the future.

A Very Good Experience.

I honestly can't say I've had anything but positive experiences with Cunard's 800 reservations in the US. Indeed, I had an agent spend the best part of 20 minutes completely rebooking us when the fare went down. Everyone I've spoken with are professional, proactive and efficient. And way way better, if I might add, then the "old" Cunard reservations dept. when it was still at 555 Fifth Ave. in New York.

Although I always book through my very experienced travel agent, I have had several occasions to deal - both directly and indirectly - with the US booking office. The reps I have spoken with have been friendly and give the impression they know what they are talking about.

Sadly, the reality is that I have been given wrong information most times. Also, whilst on board a ship I have had (not too often fortunately) issues which the purser's department has had to solve with the U.S. office. One time it took four days to get the promised on board credit even though I had written confirmation. Last year we were sent three gifts which were to be delivered on sailing date. The first gift didn't arrive until the next day, which is no big deal. But when the other gifts didn't arrive our friend had to complain to that office and they finally arrived three days late.

I'm please to read that others have had positive experiences and I hope this is more typical. But I would never book a voyage with that office. I want someone on my side.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently called the 800 number in the US to make the final payment for our upcoming trip. Called about noon EST and was connected immediately with an agent who handled everything pleasantly. He then volunteered to review the speakers that were scheduled for our voyage and shared some of his own tips and insights. It wasn't a particularly long conversation but certainly he went well beyond the original intent of the call and it was appreciated. This is the norm we've experienced when contacting Cunard via phone. Sorry to hear your experience was different.

I spent 61 minutes on the phone with a US call center rep. Corliss was very nice while she was trying to find handicap cabins on back to back transatlantic cruises. She kept apologizing for the wait time but I did not mind at all since I knew it would be a problematic booking.

I have to say that compared to my dealings with Holland America, MSC or Celebrity, Cunard has impressed me the most!

No real issues but I do find it humorous when I call the US Diamond line they always answer the phone Princess Cruises. Obviously they have agents trained to handle both Cunard and Princess, and I realize I'm calling the Princess Cruises call center outside Los Angeles when calling Cunard. Cunard uses the Princess POLAR reservation system as well, as does HAL and Seabourn.

Spoke to them, today, and the wait was the longest I've ever experienced, about 20 min. But the agent was AMAZING when we did speak, and she spent a lot of time with me, ironing out the details & logistics of my upcoming 1/2 of the w/c ~~~next Feb>>April on QV.

She broke down various segments / options / stateroom choices / dinner seating preference, & re-confirmed all my data etc.

The configuration that worked out best, was 3 different segments for the 59 days, and I received the e mail statements for the first 2, while we were still discussing the third. That's F AS T & Efficient!