When is a pint not a pint?

Charleyben

I ordered a pint of Peroni Lager in the Crow's Nest on Britannia last week. It arrived in a nice Peroni glass and was rather enjoying it until I happened to notice the mark on the glass was 50 CL.

Without trying to sound petty, this amounts to a 13.6% reduction on a pint as promised on the drinks menu.

When I pay £4.75p for a pint of lager, I expect to receive a pint, not half a litre. If a retail establishment in the UK were to do this they would find themselves on the wrong end of Weights & Measure legislation and liable to be prosecuted.

For the remainder of the cruise when I ordered a Pint of Peroni I requested it to be served in a standard beer glass, some of which incidentally had a pint volume marker and others didn't. I may not have been getting any more beer each time but it did make me feel better.

Power to the the people!

The froth/head has to come up to the plimsoll line in the glass? OR does the actual liquid have to come to the plimsoll line and the froth/head to the top of the glass ? 560ml is a pint is it not? :cool:

These modern trendy beer makers pint glasses might look nice, but as has been said, you don't get the true pint of amber nectar.

There are two types of glasses allowed in the UK, brim and line measure, check for the stamp to see if it complies.

A brim measure should be bigger than a pint(568ml) up to 34ml excess, a line glass can be +-17ml at the line

the recommendation is a brim glass should be full and contain at least 95% liquid when the head collapses, the line glass up to the line.

I ordered a pint of Peroni Lager in the Crow's Nest on Britannia last week. It arrived in a nice Peroni glass and was rather enjoying it until I happened to notice the mark on the glass was 50 CL.

Without trying to sound petty, this amounts to a 13.6% reduction on a pint as promised on the drinks menu.

When I pay £4.75p for a pint of lager, I expect to receive a pint, not half a litre. If a retail establishment in the UK were to do this they would find themselves on the wrong end of Weights & Measure legislation and liable to be prosecuted.

For the remainder of the cruise when I ordered a Pint of Peroni I requested it to be served in a standard beer glass, some of which incidentally had a pint volume marker and others didn't. I may not have been getting any more beer each time but it did make me feel better.

Power to the the people!

Thanks for this, I won't tell my husband as he has obviously been swindled for quite a few years now and won't be happy.

Power to the the people!

Is it possible that the glass was filled above the 500 cl line? It could be that as the line will not be right at the top of the glass, a full glass will be a pint - in other words a combined metric and imperial glass. Seems to make sense but I have no idea whether such dual purpose glasses exist and if they do, whether bar tenders are trained in their correct use.

Thanks for your responses. Just to clarify one point, I queried the issue with the barman who obviously misunderstood me and thought I was complaining that the glass was not full. He pointed out the line on the glass was the measure and I pointed out the fact the measure was 50cl not a pint.

I can't say whether or not if the glass was filled to the brim, it would have held a pint. From the bar tenders comments they were obviously using his line as the measure.

For obvious reasons they would not be filling glasses to the brim on a cruise ship.

The point of this post is that P & O are using incorrect sized glasses. Whether this is by design or accident, I can only speculate.

If there is anyone on Britannia now or soon to go and is not adverse to a pint of Peroni, have a look for yourself.

Thanks for your responses. Just to clarify one point, I queried the issue with the barman who obviously misunderstood me and thought I was complaining that the glass was not full. He pointed out the line on the glass was the measure and I pointed out the fact the measure was 50cl not a pint.

I can't say whether or not if the glass was filled to the brim, it would have held a pint. From the bar tenders comments they were obviously using his line as the measure.

For obvious reasons they would not be filling glasses to the brim on a cruise ship.

The point of this post is that P & O are using incorrect sized glasses. Whether this is by design or accident, I can only speculate.

If there is anyone on Britannia now or soon to go and is not adverse to a pint of Peroni, have a look for yourself.

Does the price list actually say Pint or 500ml?

Not wanting to rub salt in the wound but the P&O website says £4.65 a pint:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/drink_cost

This is my fourth P & O cruise this year and prices have been creeping up every cruise. P & O are obviously struggling to keep up to date with price rises on their web site.

Last week it was £4.75, what it is this week is anyone's guess! I will bet it won't be less.

Lthough we are all used to the pint measure it could be better if they used metric. Extra service for them as they would need to serve 2 glasses to get to roughly a pint. I think it’s difficult to get a full pint in a uk pub but not to this extent. For P.O.& O every little helps and this would add up to a nice little sum at the cruise end.

Next week, bedding not included.

David.

This is my fourth P & O cruise this year and prices have been creeping up every cruise. P & O are obviously struggling to keep up to date with price rises on their web site.

Last week it was £4.75, what it is this week is anyone's guess! I will bet it won't be less.

So beer prices are like petrol prices? Up and down with the season? :evilsmile:

Now if you are cider drinker like me, if you order a pint of draught cider, you should get te glass full to the brim, as there is very little or no head on a glass of cider. But on the ships, P&O anyway, it is canned Strongbow cider - 440ml or bottled Magners Cider - 568ml from memory, so getting ripped off volume wise is not an issue.:halo: