What is the up to date status of Cunard's alcohol policy?

nzstuart51

Last time we sailed on QM2, and also at the time we bookedour latest March 2018 cruise, Cunard had a very liberal policy on taking liquor onboard. In fact, up until a relatively short while ago, the Cunard website speltout the (very liberal) limitations and then said “it is not our intention toinvoke this policy as matter of course and we will only implement on occasionswhere we consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment ofpassengers may otherwise be compromised.”

That general qualification seems to have been deleted now.Does that mean the policy has changed in recent times?

For our March 2018 cruise we certainly don’t intend takinglarge volumes of alcohol on board but we do have a favourite spirit which isnot available on any cruise line. It would be our intention to take a supply of this spirit for our 20 nights on board to have a drink or two on the balcony at sunset each evening.

We've often brought bottles on board, usually wine, upon embarkation, and in ports, with no trouble at all. I advise no worries. But there is a corkage fee if you bring a bottle into a restaurant.

Cunard's policy on carry on alcohol has not changed but there has been a change in P&Os carry on policy which starts from February 1st so being all part of Carnival plc this will be monitored by Cunard and might see changes in the future.

Until our last cruise I never felt the need to carry alcohol on board because I did not consider the prices in the bars to be excessive (okay, London bar prices or regional hotel prices).

But recently Cunard have whacked their bar prices sky high and by coincidence they appear to be considering stopping people taking alcohol on board (or limiting it). I wonder if those two things are related ?

We got alcohol onboard (drambuie and champagne of the NCL Gem a different brand than sold on cunard) and we had no problems. I went back to the cabin to top up our drinks and we never got caught out. That was two weeks ago so I don't think anything has changed.

You have to be really tight to take onboard alcohol and then keep returning to your stateroom to top up then return to bars. It is this situation that is causing cruise lines to limit or stop alcohol being brought on and then sneaked into bars to drink i.e. P&O. My feeling is if caught should be warned once and drink in cabin confiscated and if occured again you should be taken off at next port.

Ah.

I've seen people obtain a wine glass from somewhere and pour a glass of wine to carry into the restaurant for dinner. I think that's fairly miserly behavior.

Carrying one's own drink (poured in stateroom) into dinner is so wrong, whatever feeble explanation may be offered.

How do you know they did not obtain it from a bar? We have done so and carried it with us to avoid having to wait a long time to get a glass of wine at the table in the dining room.

Wine waiters carry guest's drinks from bars into dinner, if, for some reason, there is a specific need.

Believe it or not, Sommeliers are able to deliver ordered drinks to the table as/when required by guests. One only has to ask the Sommelier. Simples

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Carrying one's own drink (poured in stateroom) into dinner is so wrong, whatever feeble explanation may be offered.

Why is it so wrong ?

With the High prices Cunard now charge for drinks, we certainly would never consider leaving full glasses of any drink in the bar. Often we will take our filled glasses into Dinner or Lunch. Not everyone has pots of Money to waste,

I personally believe it would be rude for us to ask a waiter in the Commodore Club to take my drink into the Britannia. So the Guys always takes the ladies drinks in as well as their own if we have ordered a round and not realised the time.

Times have changed and Cunard is changing now we are in the 21st Century.

I’m spending two months in Europe before my transatlantic home (at an enormous cost). If I want to pour a glass of wine in my room while I’m dressing for dinner and then take it with me, I will. If that saves me a few dollars, great. I’m not breaking any rules and have no problem with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why is it so wrong ?

With the High prices Cunard now charge for drinks, we certainly would never consider leaving full glasses of any drink in the bar. Often we will take our filled glasses into Dinner or Lunch. Not everyone has pots of Money to waste,

I personally believe it would be rude for us to ask a waiter in the Commodore Club to take my drink into the Britannia. So the Guys always takes the ladies drinks in as well as their own if we have ordered a round and not realised the time.

Times have changed and Cunard is changing now we are in the 21st Century.

One can see no "time band" for dining in club or above. However if dining in Britannia, then the Commodore will be happy to let the RM know you will be delayed. Then drinks be finished (if wished) at leisure. Therefore no need to carry.

Agreed we are in the 21st Century.

Sadly, it would appear "times have changed", but it is not Cunard who are changing, but some of the people that now board.

I started this thread, totally oblivious to the side issues which would arise. I must stress we would NEVER ever take our own supply of alcohol outside of our cabin. Further, when in a bar, lounge or restaurant we will certainly only ever buy the Cunard supplied alcohol and that will certainly comprise spirits, wines and liqueurs.

It would seem from the on-topic posts on this thread that there has been no change to the Cunard policy in respect of taking alcohol onboard and therefore our plan is still doable.

Thank you to contributors.

If I want to pour a glass of wine in my room while I’m dressing for dinner and then take it with me, I will.

We frequently do this as well. For us, it's not an issue of saving money, but that we generally drink what we believe to be much better wines than any cruise line stocks. Basically, if they stocked a better selection, we'd be quite happy as we usually have tons of OBC to spend.

Viking Ocean have no limits on how much alcohol you bring on. You can drink it where you want and there is no corkage fee. True it’s more expensive re cruise fare - a Brittania size cabin is on par with the cost of Princess in Grills but drinks accompany meals and drink packages are very reasonable. I’ve travelled Queens, Princess and Britannia on Cunard but confess I am now veering towards Viking Ocean having spent a very enjoyable week in the Eastern Med - and excursions too.