Luggage shipping service ? esp. for US passengers

mljatsea

Has anyone used Luggageforward.com, luggage free.com, or Cunard's White Star luggage service to ship a case from the US to Europe? We will be on a land tour for three weeks prior to our QM2 crossing originating in Hamburg in October. We won't need formal, even dressy wear for our tour of Croatia so plan to ship a case to our Hamburg hotel or the ship. Would appreciate past experiences/recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

We've used all three (actually two, Cunard contracted with one of them, when we used them in 2008). We've done it three times with different services, but it all works about the same way. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - for the exact reasons you mention.

You'll get some forms to complete (contact info and contents inventory) and some labels and docs in a plastic sleeve to attach to the bag(s). If you choose it for the departure, DHL or another service will pick up your bag at a scheduled time before you leave. They will handle the shipping and customs and it will be delivered to your cabin (or hotel, if that's what you choose) to greet you upon your arrival. If used on return, you'll attach the additional material to the bag before setting it out the night before - perhaps with a special color tag if you're using White Star Service. After customs, you drop your bag off in a specified location and be home a few days later for the scheduled delivery.

It's not cheap, but boy, is it convenient!

Others deal directly with the shipping companies to do it for less money. I have no experience in this regard.

We used the White Star luggage service once to ship from North Carolina to the UK - I was teaching a class in Ireland a couple of weeks prior to the Southampton departure and did not want to schlep the formal clothes around, particularly since we also had almost a week after the class to get to the port.

Everything was painless, they picked up the suitcase at the time and date convenient to us, which was about a week or so earlier than their usual schedule. It was delivered directly to the cabin, although it did get there quite late. Evidently, there was some issue with retrieval of the White Star bags from their storage location so they didn't get to the ship until about 2 PM. Ours showed up around 4 PM, which was prior to the lifeboat drill but not by a large amount of time.

Under similar circumstances, I'd definitely use them again.

I have used both Luggage Forward and White Star Luggage but only domestically. I will make one alternative suggestion. If your airline has a decent baggage allowance you might consider taking your bag with you and having Luggage Forward pick it up at your first hotel in Europe.

I did a brief online check and they seem to be quoting $124 for a 50-pound bag Rome to Southampton vs $269 from the US and there would probably be a lot less red tape and what you could ship.

I plan to do something similar next year when I sail Nieuw Statendam to Amsterdam and return 2 weeks later on QM2. I discussed that plan with them and they were receptive to doing it, although it was too soon to set it up. Just a thought. I don't think White Star ever deals with other cruise lines but think they would be an option from a European hotel.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Spacing

I have used White Star for 14 of my 15 Cunard Voyages. I swear by it. I have never had a problem, I get extra insurance too. I think it cost about $350 for a <50lb bag to Hamburg last November and I think about $95 for overnight from NYC to home. This is per bag. I have gotten to the point that I pack from the prior voyage documentation, which makes it easy to complete the documentation for the next voyage and it makes it easy to pack. White Star Luggage is a winner.

I have used White Star for 14 of my 15 Cunard Voyages. I swear by it. I have never had a problem, I get extra insurance too. I think it cost about $350 for a <50lb bag to Hamburg last November and I think about $95 for overnight from NYC to home. This is per bag. I have gotten to the point that I pack from the prior voyage documentation, which makes it easy to complete the documentation for the next voyage and it makes it easy to pack. White Star Luggage is a winner.

Do we need to make a list of every item we pack? This will be our first time shipping a bag home after a cruise. It will be from Auckland to the US so it will be super expensive, but still seems worth it. We haven’t decided what company to use yet. I have to look into it a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we've done it, we've done rough counts and not worried too much if I'm off by a pair of socks or two. (X pants, X shirts, X tuxedo, X underwear....). I figure the onus is on me, since that would likely be used as a basis for compensation if the bag is lost.

- Mark

I will make one alternative suggestion. If your airline has a decent baggage allowance you might consider taking your bag with you and having Luggage Forward pick it up at your first hotel in Europe.

I did a brief online check and they seem to be quoting $124 for a 50-pound bag Rome to Southampton vs $269 from the US and there would probably be a lot less red tape and what you could ship.

Roy

Thanks so much for this brilliant suggestion! We are flying into Frankfurt and spending two nights there before going to Zagreb so our shipment would just be from Frankfurt to Hamburg. I'm checking with White Star tomorrow.