Tea Making Facilities in Cabins

[quote name='dencruise80']Cunard has 24 hour room service and there is tea in Lido and Kings Court. There is also tea near the internet room on the Queen Mary 2. The rooms are small I would not like to see more equipment in the cabins.[/QUOTE]

100% agree why clutter a stateroom, when you can just pick up the telephone
and order room service free of charge.

I too would like to see tea/coffee making facilities in the room. The three times we tried room service on our last cruise (QE) were all a disaster. 1) Got tepid water but no tea bags 2) Got warmer water but still no tea bags 3) tried to get tonic water, they did not understand us. We now take our own teabags and go get our own tonic water from the nearest bar. So much for Room Service!

A small kettle etc in the cabin would be great. Celebrity can do it why not Cunard?

Lyn

[quote name='Lyn Mc']I too would like to see tea/coffee making facilities in the room. The three times we tried room service on our last cruise (QE) were all a disaster. 1) Got tepid water but no tea bags 2) Got warmer water but still no tea bags 3) tried to get tonic water, they did not understand us. We now take our own teabags and go get our own tonic water from the nearest bar. So much for Room Service!

A small kettle etc in the cabin would be great. Celebrity can do it why not Cunard?

Lyn[/quote]

They don't do it because it is part of the Cunard service which the majority, including we enjoy. We were on Queen Elizabeth in January for 2 weeks and ordered tea and coffee at least once a day at varying times throughout the day from 5.30am onwards. The service was almost invariably swift and I hope Mr Shanks does not consider curtailing the sort of room service found in the best hotels.

As an asthma sufferer I quite often wake coughing in the early hours.

A hot drink soothes my chest and enables me to get back to sleep quickly (which helps my poor long suffering OH - we have separate rooms at home).

I really would prefer not to be ringing for room service at 4 am, so I would love to have a kettle in the room. Would be happy to bring my own but that is not allowed.

I would never dream of ordering room service on a cruiseship. And those that do, should be very grateful for the majority of passengers onboard that are like me - else, if everybody ordered room service, that service would collapse from overwork!!

Have just returned from an RCI cruise - and they have cabin tea/coffee making facilities as have P&O UK. It is the one thing that I have missed most when cruising on all 3 Cunard ships. Those who do not wish to have these facilities in their cabin can easily ask their cabin steward to take them away.

Barry

A question that often comes up. We would rather have your fresh tea or coffee delivered by room service at a time that suits you. It's a balance - in the finer hotels around the world - they have the same approach as us. In more mainstream hotels in the UK - tea and coffee making facilities are in the room .We are not planning to have the facilities in the room. We would rather deliver it to you with a smile. Peter

[quote name='Peter Shanks']A question that often comes up. We would rather have your fresh tea or coffee delivered by room service at a time that suits you. It's a balance - in the finer hotels around the world - they have the same approach as us. In more mainstream hotels in the UK - tea and coffee making facilities are in the room .We are not planning to have the facilities in the room. We would rather deliver it to you with a smile. Peter[/QUOTE]

Peter -- What if I want coffee in my cabin -- but don't want it delivered to me with or without a smile??

Barry

[quote name='bazzaw']Very helpful (not)- and somewhat typical of this Cunard board.

Barry[/quote]

Don't generalise! You posed a question "What if I want coffee in my cabin -- but don't want it delivered to me with or without a smile??"
I answered it honestly. You may not like the answer but there you go. Get over yourself!

Dear Bazzaw - I am sure that we could deliver it just as you like - with or without a smile. It was once said of Cunard that if you ordered an elephant our team would simply respond 'African or Indian Sir'. Peter

[quote name='Peter Shanks']Dear Bazzaw - I am sure that we could deliver it just as you like - with or without a smile. It was once said of Cunard that if you ordered an elephant our team would simply respond 'African or Indian Sir'. Peter[/quote]

:D Well said

I am one of those people who must have her cup of coffee the moment she wakes up. As there are no facilities in the staterooms, over the years I've devised methods to achieve my goal.

I used to bring a thermos and fill it with coffee from Lido/King's Court, and take one of the small milk cartons on offer. Lately, I've forgotten my thermos, and so I sometimes order coffee from room service in the evenings and keep it for the next morning.

I've also discovered those caffeine tablets one can buy in the UK (don't like the US ones as they are full of additives), and when I wake up with no coffee, I'll take a couple of those, dress, and then order breakfast.

[quote name='Leucothea']I am one of those people who must have her cup of coffee the moment she wakes up. As there are no facilities in the staterooms, over the years I've devised methods to achieve my goal.

I used to bring a thermos and fill it with coffee from Lido/King's Court, and take one of the small milk cartons on offer. Lately, I've forgotten my thermos, and so I sometimes order coffee from room service in the evenings and keep it for the next morning.

I've also discovered those caffeine tablets one can buy in the UK (don't like the US ones as they are full of additives), and when I wake up with no coffee, I'll take a couple of those, dress, and then order breakfast.[/quote]

We too use the thermos option but only, as I mentioned earlier, for use when I have a bad night coughing and need a soothing hot drink. Would still prefer a kettle though :D. I really don't feel like ordering room service in the middle of the night.

[quote name='Leucothea']I am one of those people who must have her cup of coffee the moment she wakes up. As there are no facilities in the staterooms, over the years I've devised methods to achieve my goal.

I've also discovered those caffeine tablets one can buy in the UK (don't like the US ones as they are full of additives), and when I wake up with no coffee, I'll take a couple of those, dress, and then order breakfast.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you Leucothea - and after 4 cruises with Cunard (out of 13 over the past 5 years) , I find this lack of tea/coffee making facilities in their cabins to be my greatest disappointment with them. I am also not amused by references to ordering elephants to your cabin - and am a person who does not/will not use room service anywhere. I am sure that I am not the only one like this in that regard.

Barry

[quote name='Force10']Why would I want to make my own tea on board, I am on holiday after all :) Room Service has always been, and I hope continues to be first class IMHO.[/QUOTE]

We only had tea once from room service. I really could not recommend it. Wet and warm as me owd dad used to say. The quality of room service is usually excellent but they can't make tea.

David

[quote name='bazzaw']I'm with you Leucothea - and after 4 cruises with Cunard (out of 13 over the past 5 years) , I find this lack of tea/coffee making facilities in their cabins to be my greatest disappointment with them. I am also not amused by references to ordering elephants to your cabin - and am a person who does not/will not use room service anywhere. I am sure that I am not the only one like this in that regard.

Barry[/QUOTE]

Then PLEASE, don't order room service!! Get off your high horse... or elephant.

[quote name='CABINET']I would love to have a kettle in the room. Would be happy to bring my own but that is not allowed.[/quote]

Where does it say a kettle is not allowed? I looked at the FAQs just this week, and it appears that it is, as long as it's safety-checked. Has anyone tested this out?

What I find interesting is this quote:

[QUOTE] It's a balance - in the finer hotels around the world - they have the same approach as us. In more mainstream hotels in the UK - tea and coffee making facilities are in the room .We are not planning to have the facilities in the room [/QUOTE]

Would these 'finer hotels' have football blaring from their TVs in the main bar areas?

I wonder if it has more to do with health and hygiene?

I TOTALLY accept that we are all saints, we would all keep the coffe\tea making area absoloutely clean and of course spotless but.... If some folks do not clean up their spilt milk, sugar or any other drink making additive then it is an open invite to unwelcome multi legged stowaways!!

I fully accept we would NEVER be the one to do this but I am guessing this might be a consideration and if the ship were inspected, I doubt very much the excuse of... 'Not me guv!' will hold much water?

[quote name='glojo']What I find interesting is this quote:

[quote was Mr Shanks' reference to finer hotels not providing DIY coffee/tea]

Would these 'finer hotels' have football blaring from their TVs in the main bar areas?

I wonder if it has more to do with health and hygiene?

I TOTALLY accept that we are all saints, we would all keep the coffe\tea making area absoloutely clean and of course spotless but.... If some folks do not clean up their spilt milk, sugar or any other drink making additive then it is an open invite to unwelcome multi legged stowaways!!

I fully accept we would NEVER be the one to do this but I am guessing this might be a consideration and if the ship were inspected, I doubt very much the excuse of... 'Not me guv!' will hold much water?[/quote]

I think it is partly safety/electricity use, but the reference to "finer hotels" is apt. A friend's son works for a consortium (for want of a better word) of high-end hotels. When she stays at one of "his" hotels, she complains to him about the lack of a coffee maker in the room. He has repeatedly informed her that "better hotels" have good room service and guests do not need to bother to make their own coffee or tea. It's all in how the establishment sees itself.

(And no, I don't know if these hotels blare sporting events in their bars.)

Archived