How much time after Stingray City Tour?

hurricanekerrie

Hello everyone! I'm new to cruising and new to CruiseCritic. I've been looking for a proper timeline at Grand Cayman but can't find a clear answer to my question. We are about to book the Stingray City tour from Carnival and trying to figure out what to do after...

How much time to do we have after that tour? We want to eat lunch and lounge around Seven Mile Beach... and perhaps try to peek into Tortuga Rum and Cake Factory before getting back up to the Carnival Glory. Is that too much to do afterwards?

Thank you very much!

can't help you a bunch since I don't know the times of you StingRay trip

but note that there is a store for the rum cakes just outside the tender pier (the rum cakes are readily available in the US btw)

assuming the tour drops you back at the tender landing consider

http://www.guyharveysgrill.com/

or

http://paradiserestaurant.ky/

there is a M'ville right there .... and a Hard Rock (if they reopened)

but please don't

Edited by Capt_BJ

I can highly recommend that you rebook that Stingray City excursion with someone other than Carnival. You will thank me afterwards. Carnival uses excursion ships with people packed in like sardines and no food for the stingrays. Private excursions have a more reasonable amount people on board (more like 20-30 max instead of 200-300) and they have squid for the stingrays.

Someone like Moby Dick Tours (have used them twice) or Captain Marvin's will give you way more bang for your buck and a far safer excursion as well! We've always has time for beach or shopping after a Moby Dick Tour and I often read others have the same experience with other private excursion operators in Grand Cayman.

Although this pic is stolen from Google Images, it is a perfect example of ships excursion vs a private excursion at Stingray City. A is private and B is ship.

mobydickcomparison-M.jpg

Hello everyone! I'm new to cruising and new to CruiseCritic. I've been looking for a proper timeline at Grand Cayman but can't find a clear answer to my question. We are about to book the Stingray City tour from Carnival and trying to figure out what to do after...

How much time to do we have after that tour? We want to eat lunch and lounge around Seven Mile Beach... and perhaps try to peek into Tortuga Rum and Cake Factory before getting back up to the Carnival Glory. Is that too much to do afterwards?

Thank you very much!

I have done Stingray tour 3 or 4 times. Sotoscruises.com is the way to go. They leave at 9am and 1 pm. It's 3 hours and you snorkel in the coral gardens and then go to sandbar and feed the stingrays sardines. 10 to 16ish people on the tour. The cost is $40. I'm booked on them when we go there on the Miracle in May.

• 2 weeks later...
I can highly recommend that you rebook that Stingray City excursion with someone other than Carnival. You will thank me afterwards. Carnival uses excursion ships with people packed in like sardines and no food for the stingrays. Private excursions have a more reasonable amount people on board (more like 20-30 max instead of 200-300) and they have squid for the stingrays.

Someone like Moby Dick Tours (have used them twice) or Captain Marvin's will give you way more bang for your buck and a far safer excursion as well! We've always has time for beach or shopping after a Moby Dick Tour and I often read others have the same experience with other private excursion operators in Grand Cayman.

Although this pic is stolen from Google Images, it is a perfect example of ships excursion vs a private excursion at Stingray City. A is private and B is ship.

mobydickcomparison-M.jpg

I'm glad I haven't booked that yet, then! I see the big difference from this picture and would much rather take the smaller group. Do I just find these tours in port?

can't help you a bunch since I don't know the times of you StingRay trip

but note that there is a store for the rum cakes just outside the tender pier (the rum cakes are readily available in the US btw)

assuming the tour drops you back at the tender landing consider

http://www.guyharveysgrill.com/

or

http://paradiserestaurant.ky/

there is a M'ville right there .... and a Hard Rock (if they reopened)

but please don't

Thank you! We're foodies and would like to sample the local flavors, if available to us. I don't care for either M'ville and Hard Rock-- have only really been to one of them here in the US! lol

• 3 weeks later...

We usually choose private tours and so far we have enjoyed them. We like the limited amount of people and most have had very good customer service. We are trying the jetski tour to stingray city and snorkel stop with Fat Fish Adventures and we are hoping for a great day in Grand Caymen. This will be our first tendered port so I hope it is an easy thing to do.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
I have done Stingray tour 3 or 4 times. Sotoscruises.com is the way to go. They leave at 9am and 1 pm. It's 3 hours and you snorkel in the coral gardens and then go to sandbar and feed the stingrays sardines. 10 to 16ish people on the tour. The cost is $40. I'm booked on them when we go there on the Miracle in May.

Have you gone yet in May? Reviews on trip advisor said the mini vans and boats were super crowded. Said there was 55 people on the boat!