Princess Litchfield Park Excursion - Worth the 4 hrs travel time???

diane.in.ny

The park sounds interesting but not sure it is worth 2 hrs on a bus there and back.

Opinions?

Bit vague,had to google where in the world you meant.If it's Aus,looks good.

We did this trip a few years ago from Diamond Princess in November. It was extremely hot and humid and a trip we will never forget but mainly for the wrong reasons! We had a full coach load and the first thing the guide told us was that you should never venture far from town without plenty of water and fuel. Also mobile phone signal was non existent a few miles outside of Darwin. After about 20 minutes travel our coach ground to halt as it had run out of fuel. Of course the aircon died and we started to cook inside the coach and had to get off and stand on the side of the road which wasn’t much different heat wise. Fortunately our guide managed to get a phone signal and another coach arrived after about an hour. However the air con never really worked on this coach. We were then driven to fuel stop where we had to buy our own water at an extortionate price. The journey to Litchfield Park was different to anything we had seen before being undulating scrub land covered in millions of paper bark, and more and more paper bark trees. We stopped to look at a field of huge termite mounds which were very interesting. By this time we were running very late and when we arrived at the waterfall we were told we could only get out of the coach for a quick look. We were pretty angry and explained to our two Princess representatives accompanying us that we hadn’t come half way round the world not to get a proper look (a swimming opportunity had been advertised) and as they too wanted to see the falls properly we ran down what seemed like hundreds of steps and back up again. By the time we got back on the coach we were so wet we looked like we’d been swimming. Lunch was a buffet under a pole barn as the restaurant/cafe had recently burned down. This was spoiled by the vast swarms of flies all over everything. The best bit of the tour was the walk though the forest to a beautiful pool with lots of signs warning about “salties” or crocodiles. It was a long drive back and the ship was waiting just for us. But don’t let me put you off, it was certainly a memorable excursion which we will laugh about for years.

I had a bad experience with an excursion in Costa Rica that had either a 2 or 3 hour bus ride, depending on which Princess literature you read. It was an 8 hour excursion, and despite the web document that it was a 2 hour drive each way, it was actually 3. Funny, but that didn't allow time for the other listed activities. And, in fact, one of the two main activities was canceled due to lack of time. The time we spent at the location was good, but it was only 2 hours out of an 8 hour day, and that included lunch! I won't say "never," but I'm unlikely to book an excursion with this level of transportation time again.

same for us in St Martin/Marteen - took a bus from one side to the other...

long ride - not very much time in the 'other' side - maybe an hour or so - enough to well.. and get a beer - not much else:halo:

Bit vague,had to google where in the world you meant.If it's Aus,looks good.

Yes, Australia. lol Sorry about that. Should have been clearer

And yes, it does sound great which is why we are considering it. But not sure I want to spend 4 hrs in a bus.

We did this trip a few years ago from Diamond Princess in November. It was extremely hot and humid and a trip we will never forget but mainly for the wrong reasons! We had a full coach load and the first thing the guide told us was that you should never venture far from town without plenty of water and fuel. Also mobile phone signal was non existent a few miles outside of Darwin. After about 20 minutes travel our coach ground to halt as it had run out of fuel. Of course the aircon died and we started to cook inside the coach and had to get off and stand on the side of the road which wasn’t much different heat wise. Fortunately our guide managed to get a phone signal and another coach arrived after about an hour. However the air con never really worked on this coach. We were then driven to fuel stop where we had to buy our own water at an extortionate price. The journey to Litchfield Park was different to anything we had seen before being undulating scrub land covered in millions of paper bark, and more and more paper bark trees. We stopped to look at a field of huge termite mounds which were very interesting. By this time we were running very late and when we arrived at the waterfall we were told we could only get out of the coach for a quick look. We were pretty angry and explained to our two Princess representatives accompanying us that we hadn’t come half way round the world not to get a proper look (a swimming opportunity had been advertised) and as they too wanted to see the falls properly we ran down what seemed like hundreds of steps and back up again. By the time we got back on the coach we were so wet we looked like we’d been swimming. Lunch was a buffet under a pole barn as the restaurant/cafe had recently burned down. This was spoiled by the vast swarms of flies all over everything. The best bit of the tour was the walk though the forest to a beautiful pool with lots of signs warning about “salties” or crocodiles. It was a long drive back and the ship was waiting just for us. But don’t let me put you off, it was certainly a memorable excursion which we will laugh about for years.

OMG. My husband, who is the one really putting the brakes on this tour, would be livid! lol

Guess we are going to have to think about it some more.

Thanks!

I have done a lot of travelling in Australia and been to Darwin many times. If you are in the Northern Territory for just one day (rather than a week's vacation) I would not recommend that you go to Litchfield. I suggest you either book the tour to the jumping crocodiles (still an hour or so drive each way) or take a local tour around Darwin. There will be tours on sale outside the Tourist Information Office. Highlights in Darwin are the incredible Parliament House (like a wedding cake); the Museum of the NT (superb displays on the 64 Japanese bombing raids during WWII and on a cyclone that flattened Darwin); the military museum at East Point (self-explanatory); on Thursday and Sunday afternoon/evenings there is a superb market at Mindil Beach (a lot of very interesting food); a crocodile attraction in the centre of Darwin where you can see live crocos or 'swim' with them (obviously the human is in a protective cage).

I suggest that either the jumping croc tour or the Darwin city highlights would be a better use of your time and money. :)

By this time we were running very late and when we arrived at the waterfall we were told we could only get out of the coach for a quick look. We were pretty angry and explained to our two Princess representatives accompanying us that we hadn’t come half way round the world not to get a proper look (a swimming opportunity had been advertised) and as they too wanted to see the falls properly we ran down what seemed like hundreds of steps and back up again. By the time we got back on the coach we were so wet we looked like we’d been swimming. Lunch was a buffet under a pole barn as the restaurant/cafe had recently burned down. This was spoiled by the vast swarms of flies all over everything.

I had a bad experience with an excursion in Costa Rica that had either a 2 or 3 hour bus ride' date=' depending on which Princess literature you read. It was an 8 hour excursion, and despite the web document that it was a 2 hour drive each way, it was actually 3. Funny, but that didn't allow time for the other listed activities. And, in fact, one of the two main activities was canceled due to lack of time. [/quote']

I hope that each of you complained politely to the shore excursion desk after the tour and received a refund of part of the tour cost as what you had paid for was not what you were given.

Wise advice from AUS Traveller. Litchfield is a lengthy day trip to see it reasonably, even in a car - without having the lost time problems associated with the numbers on a coach. For a single day stick to Darwin and the closer surrounds including the croc shows.

If you really want to get to Litchfield (and it is worth it on a relaxed trip), come and stay longer - and get to Kakadu for a couple of days.

OMG. My husband, who is the one really putting the brakes on this tour, would be livid! lol

Guess we are going to have to think about it some more.

Thanks!

Lightning does't strike twice as they say.I would give it a go.We stayed in Darwin overnight on a Princess landtour.Wasn't impressed at night,bit of a hotspot for younger peeps,with the booze flowing freely shall we say.Outside is the real tropical nature of the area with crocs etc.We went on a croc spotting boat trip among other things.Go for it I'd say,once in a lifetime trip.

Wow, Cruisemaid. That sounds like your Tour from Hell. After you've cruised for awhile, I think most of us have one of those. Yours is worse than mine though. :o
I can top that,a few weeks ago on a Cunard trip to Kandy.4 hrs each way on bus due to storms and Sri Lanka new year.Walked around temple in deep puddles in bare feet for 11/2 hours.Still suffering from toe infection now,lol.Arrived back 2 hrs after sailaway time,but the captain and senior crew formed a guard of honour at gangway with champagne.Good gesture,but missed MDR dinner,had drink in our room and went to buffet to grab leftovers ,lol.

Lightning does't strike twice as they say.I would give it a go.We stayed in Darwin overnight on a Princess landtour.Wasn't impressed at night,bit of a hotspot for younger peeps,with the booze flowing freely shall we say.Outside is the real tropical nature of the area with crocs etc.We went on a croc spotting boat trip among other things.Go for it I'd say,once in a lifetime trip.

I doubt that the OP is interested in the nightlife in Darwin. I mentioned crocs and other attractions in Darwin.

I grew up in Darwin, and maybe it’s a bit of childhood nostalgia, but if they have a tour there I highly recommend the Wildlife Park! It’s not just the animals, but lots of different habitats, forest walks etc.

I doubt that the OP is interested in the nightlife in Darwin. I mentioned crocs and other attractions in Darwin.
Not impressed in the day either.The croc park sounds a bit like gatorland zoo to me.Prefer nature.

can recommend the Adelaide river cruise which goes in the opposite direction down the Adelaide river, we had a fantastic day and all topped off with a 4m salty ripping a buffalo apart sounds a bit gruesome but we were there at the right time.

I have done a lot of travelling in Australia and been to Darwin many times. If you are in the Northern Territory for just one day (rather than a week's vacation) I would not recommend that you go to Litchfield. I suggest you either book the tour to the jumping crocodiles (still an hour or so drive each way) or take a local tour around Darwin. There will be tours on sale outside the Tourist Information Office. Highlights in Darwin are the incredible Parliament House (like a wedding cake); the Museum of the NT (superb displays on the 64 Japanese bombing raids during WWII and on a cyclone that flattened Darwin); the military museum at East Point (self-explanatory); on Thursday and Sunday afternoon/evenings there is a superb market at Mindil Beach (a lot of very interesting food); a crocodile attraction in the centre of Darwin where you can see live crocos or 'swim' with them (obviously the human is in a protective cage).

I suggest that either the jumping croc tour or the Darwin city highlights would be a better use of your time and money. :)

Are you sure you’re thinking of the right Parliament House? The only one shaped (and nicknamed) the wedding cake is in Wellington NZ. The one in Darwin is a regular shape.

Ref Litchfield: it’s worthwhile AFTER the rains.

It always makes me hoot when people complain about the heat in Darwin. IT’S DARWIN FOR HEAVENS SAKE.

If you book a cruise to a tropical area - here’s a handy hint.

It’s going to be hot.

Always take your own hydration with you at all times.

Sent from my iPad using Forums