CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Just an FYI about the garage. I posted this a while ago. There are now three ships in for the summer (not on the same day, obviously). DW and I took a quick ride down to the port today and I can tell you there were more cars parked there than I have ever seen before. The garage is full, the surface area across the road is pretty full (only a very few spots visible), and there is an overflow area between two empty buildings across from the old terminal that had many cars parked there. I cannot verify what would happen if you attempted to park there on a non-embark day, but I would definitely seek positive assurance that I could access the garage. I cannot say if they would open the lots for you. There is someone on duty all the time, but he is basically a night watchman, and I cannot say what he can and cannot do. Even then, I would say have a backup plan if you were to actually attempt it. Also, do not take for granted that you will be able to park in the garage for any sailing. You may get surface parking. We arrived home on the Summit Sunday, and the garage was already full at 10 A. M.

Edited by bayonnejoe

Just an FYI about the garage. I posted this a while ago. There are now three ships in for the summer (not on the same day, obviously). DW and I took a quick ride down to the port today and I can tell you there were more cars parked there than I have ever seen before. The garage is full, the surface area across the road is pretty full (only a very few spots visible), and there is an overflow area between two empty buildings across from the old terminal that had many cars parked there. I cannot verify what would happen if you attempted to park there on a non-embark day, but I would definitely seek positive assurance that I could access the garage. I cannot say if they would open the lots for you. There is someone on duty all the time, but he is basically a night watchman, and I cannot say what he can and cannot do. Even then, I would say have a backup plan if you were to actually attempt it. Also, do not take for granted that you will be able to park in the garage for any sailing. You may get surface parking. We arrived home on the Summit Sunday, and the garage was already full at 10 A. M.

Can I assume the three ships will be there through the summer? And when you say you arrived home and the garage was full, do you mean it was emptying out from your trip and thus the next summit passengers would have spaces freed up?

We are currently on Celebrity Summit. We got to the port around 9:50 am and they had a sign garage closed. Everyone had to park in the open lot right across from Bayonne Dry Dock. Not happy that we are paying $20 a day to park in such an awful spot. This is the first time we have not been let into the garage since it was built when sailing on Celebrity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

We are currently on Celebrity Summit. We got to the port around 9:50 am and they had a sign garage closed. Everyone had to park in the open lot right across from Bayonne Dry Dock. Not happy that we are paying $20 a day to park in such an awful spot. This is the first time we have not been let into the garage since it was built when sailing on Celebrity.

I agree it's not fair to pay the same price. Not only is your car exposed to the daily elements (sun and rain), it probably will be covered in dirt when you return. Plus you have the longer walk to your vehicle.

Hello. My family of 3 is family in to EWR next month and staying at Hyatt Regency pre-cruise. Is it cheaper to get an Uber or taxi to the hotel from EWR?? And same from hotel to the port - taxi or Uber? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So sorry you had to deal with this but thanks for the heads up. We're changing our parking and transportation to the port plans so we'll save a little money and free up a couple of parking spots at the port for someone else to use. This board has been very useful to me and I've referred my fellow cruisers to it many times.

Hello. My family of 3 is family in to EWR next month and staying at Hyatt Regency pre-cruise. Is it cheaper to get an Uber or taxi to the hotel from EWR?? And same from hotel to the port - taxi or Uber? Thanks!

I assume you're staying at the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City.

Typically Uber tends to be cheaper than a taxi, but with their surge pricing you can't tell exactly until you actually request the Uber car.

Can I assume the three ships will be there through the summer? And when you say you arrived home and the garage was full, do you mean it was emptying out from your trip and thus the next summit passengers would have spaces freed up?

All I can tell you is that with all three ships here until September, the situation will not change. My guess is that since the lot has been always been full of Anthem passengers before the Summit and Adventure got here, it only stands to reason that as those passengers leave, new passengers get the garage spots. Maybe there will be some odd spots available when the Summit or Adventure is here but I could not say for sure. As I said, don't count on being in the garage anytime all summer. You may get surface parking.

I assume you're staying at the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City.

Typically Uber tends to be cheaper than a taxi, but with their surge pricing you can't tell exactly until you actually request the Uber car.

Yes, that’s where we’re staying. Ok, thanks!

Has anyone ever done the City tour following debarkation back at Cape Liberty.

We are sailing the Celebrity Summit and will probably disembark around 9.00am. Our International flight back to the UK is not until 7pm, so need to decide how to fill the time.

We're flying out of JFK. I see you are also on our sailing...

Yes, I am on your sailing. I saw that X's bus tour to NYC costs $109 each. That tour will take you for a ride around the city. Have you considered car service to Manhattan, storing your luggage, walking around an area, then a taxi to JFK? I'd say a lot depends on how much you want to see or if you want to see certain particular sights.

Yes, I am on your sailing. I saw that X's bus tour to NYC costs $109 each. That tour will take you for a ride around the city. Have you considered car service to Manhattan, storing your luggage, walking around an area, then a taxi to JFK? I'd say a lot depends on how much you want to see or if you want to see certain particular sights.

As we already have 3 days in Manhattan pre cruise, the tour was just a way of killing time. Our hotel will look after our luggage if we just jump in a cab back there until we are ready to leave for the airport, and we do have lounge access when we get there.

The tour drops off at JFK at 1.30pm so the lounge bar would get well used..;)

Hello -

Just so I am perfectly clear, were you asked to park 'in the Dry Dock Parking Lot' - or were you still in the official 'Cape Liberty surface lot (right across from the garage)'? Also, for what it is worth, I just spoke to a live person at the Cape Liberty Cruise Port (phone number from cruiseliberty.com website). She informed me that they have made the decision that all Summit passengers will be asked to park in the surface lot (i.e. the garage will be 'closed' for Summit embarkation/disembarkation days). She also said that to the best of her knowledge, they haven't turned anyone away from the 'surface lot' (i.e. they have more than enough space to accommodate all Summit passengers in the surface lot).

Hello -

Just so I am perfectly clear, were you asked to park 'in the Dry Dock Parking Lot' - or were you still in the official 'Cape Liberty surface lot (right across from the garage)'? Also, for what it is worth, I just spoke to a live person at the Cape Liberty Cruise Port (phone number from cruiseliberty.com website). She informed me that they have made the decision that all Summit passengers will be asked to park in the surface lot (i.e. the garage will be 'closed' for Summit embarkation/disembarkation days). She also said that to the best of her knowledge, they haven't turned anyone away from the 'surface lot' (i.e. they have more than enough space to accommodate all Summit passengers in the surface lot).

Wow, I am really upset they are making Summit passengers park in that horrid overflow lot. Filled with pot holes, gravel and plenty of large puddles since it rained the entire week we were gone (we got back yesterday). It's the same area that flooded during Super Storm Sandy.

We got off Summit yesterday at 10:30 am and yes, the garage had the sign it was closed. We saw all departing and arriving Summit passengers parking in the overflow lot. It is officially the cruise port parking lot but directly across from the dry dock. I'm not sure if everyone remembers all the damage done to cars parked here back before the garage was built because of paint over spray done by Bayonne Dry Dock. Our car had over $700 in damages. Yes, the Dry Dock company paid 100% for repairs but I was without a car for 3 days. Who wants to go through all that hassle. Now we have to worry about damage to your car from floods and paint while on a cruise. Not a relaxing vacation.

Hello -

I believe the "Dry Dock Lot" is the same as the "Surface Lot" as this lot is located in between the terminal and the Dry Dock.

The parking deck was soooo convenient. Can a recent user tell us where you pay for the surface lot? If you parked in the deck, there were pay machines located between the terminal and the deck entrance. The old surface lot (before the deck was built), you paid as you entered, not when you left.

I believe the "Dry Dock Lot" is the same as the "Surface Lot" as this lot is located in between the terminal and the Dry Dock.

The parking deck was soooo convenient. Can a recent user tell us where you pay for the surface lot? If you parked in the deck, there were pay machines located between the terminal and the deck entrance. The old surface lot (before the deck was built), you paid as you entered, not when you left.

You take a ticket when entering the over flow lot (they have machines set up just like entering the garage) and pay at the end our your cruise at the same machines which are outside the parking garage. You have to have someone stand with your luggage or you will be dragging them past the crosswalk to the overflow lot and then back again just to pay at the machines. Then you need to dodge all the potholes and puddles to get back to your car.

Driving in from Pittsburgh for an Anthem sailing on September 15th, plan to drive in on the 14th. Thinking of trying to visit Times Square Friday, but would like to stay at a hotel closer to the port and train in to city. We will have our car, but don't want to drive in to city. Plan to drive to port to park Saturday morning. Best options for this idea?

Driving in from Pittsburgh for an Anthem sailing on September 15th, plan to drive in on the 14th. Thinking of trying to visit Times Square Friday, but would like to stay at a hotel closer to the port and train in to city. We will have our car, but don't want to drive in to city. Plan to drive to port to park Saturday morning. Best options for this idea?

How many people? Hotel budget? Bed size requirements?

The hotels in Harmon Cove in Secaucus NJ might fit your need with frequent bus transportation to Port Authority Bus Terminal, which is right in the Times Square area. The following day it would be an easy drive on the NJ Turnpike to exit 14A for Cape Liberty. No real need to get involved with the Newark area if you have a car.

Two adults, beds don’t matter, don’t want to spend a fortune. Thanks for the tip as I was looking at Newark but we don’t need the airport! Is bus transportation easy to navigate? Can we just leave our car at hotel?

Two adults, beds don’t matter, don’t want to spend a fortune. Thanks for the tip as I was looking at Newark but we don’t need the airport! Is bus transportation easy to navigate? Can we just leave our car at hotel?

http://www.harmonmeadow.com/Pages/index.html

There are about 8 hotels in Harmon Meadows as well as multiple bus stops. You can leave your car at the hotel. Fare is $4.25/pp each way. Bus 320 - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0320.pdf

The problem from the airport is that you have to take a hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain station, the Airtrain to the airport train station, and then pay $13/pp each way to go to NY Penn Station. You can also drive to Secaucus Junction train station and pay to park and pay $4.25 for the train.

http://www.harmonmeadow.com/Pages/index.html

There are about 8 hotels in Harmon Meadows as well as multiple bus stops. You can leave your car at the hotel. Fare is $4.25/pp each way. Bus 320 - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0320.pdf

The problem from the airport is that you have to take a hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain station, the Airtrain to the airport train station, and then pay $13/pp each way to go to NY Penn Station. You can also drive to Secaucus Junction train station and pay to park and pay $4.25 for the train.

Thanks so much!! Any chance you know if any of these hotels are newer or nicer? Time to do some research and pick one!! I appreciate your time, so helpful!!

We are sailing into Cape Liberty on the Adventure of the Seas on September 28. Our itinerary states a 7:00 arrival. Is it is it possible to make a 10:35 domestic flight out of LaGuardia if we carry off our bags at Cape Liberty? What would be the best way to get from the cruise port to the airport?

Thank you in advance for your help.