Freedom lover -- NOT like the Indy

My experience this week on the Independence of the Seas: it falls WAY short of the Freedom of the Seas. The food is worse (except the pizza is better), the service not so great (at least not the service I've gotten). Being a Diamond (Diamond Plus after this is over) doesn't seem to mean a thing. Oh, and they are slowly doing away with most of the perks I thought made my loyalty worth it. Internet used to be $29.95 off or an hour of internet, PLUS 20% off any pkg. (at least it that's what it was in Dec. on the Freedom). Now it's only the one hour or $29.95 -- no percentage off after that. It's made the internet pretty pricey for me, but I have to be in touch with home. I HATE Port Everglades - I'll never come back here. I live close to Cape Canaveral, so I'll never leave that port again...Freedom and Disney work for me. I've been on the Allure and the Oasis - didn't like them - so no need to drive way down here. Anyway, just my two cents. I hate this ship and will be more than ready to get off on Sat. I've been on 21 RCI cruises, 2 Carnival cruises, and four Disney cruises-- and this is about the worst experience I've had.

Edited by GonnaSailtoo

My experience this week on the Independence of the Seas: it falls WAY short of the Freedom of the Seas. The food is worse (except the pizza is better), the service not so great (at least not the service I've gotten). Being a Diamond (Diamond Plus after this is over) doesn't seem to mean a thing. Oh, and they are slowly doing away with most of the perks I thought made my loyalty worth it. Internet used to be $29.95 off or an hour of internet, PLUS 20% off any pkg. (at least it that's what it was in Dec. on the Freedom). Now it's only the one hour or $29.95 -- no percentage off after that. It's made the internet pretty pricey for me, but I have to be in touch with home. I HATE Port Everglades - I'll never come back here. I live close to Cape Canaveral, so I'll never leave that port again...Freedom and Disney work for me. I've been on the Allure and the Oasis - didn't like them - so no need to drive way down here. Anyway, just my two cents. I hate this ship and will be more than ready to get off on Sat. I've been on 21 RCI cruises, 2 Carnival cruises, and four Disney cruises-- and this is about the worst experience I've had.

So after three full days you hate this ship. Sounds like you like to have a good time?

I guess opinions vary. We just got off Indy Sunday after sailing Freedom for the 3rd time back in October. The Indy cruise was as good as if not slightly better than our Freedom cruises. Where it exceeded? We had our best Chops experience, best MTD experience, and best concierge experience. I can't comment on the internet package because we took the unlimited package and used the 20 percent off coupon. We love Freedom too but Indy was a great cruise.

Don't complain here! You are onboard now. DON'T SUFFER BAD SERVICE. Whatever department or area you are not satisfied with speak to the concierge, hotel director, food and bev manager, etc. Let them know what is wrong and give them a chance to correct it. Sounds like you are on a Sun-Sat 6 night cruise. Don't resign yourself to a bad cruise on TUESDAY.

WE also just off of Indy on Sunday. There was a group of six of us including two first time cruisers. Everybody in our group loved the cruise and thought the ship was in great condition. We also had some of the best service ever. Raj... The concierge was always outgoing and personality was wonderful. Our wait staff in the main dining room..... Francis and Rose.... Were exceptional.! Sometimes how much you put into the cruise is how much you will get out of it.

So share with us, more exactly what was disappointing and what so far (while you are on the ship) you have done to improve your experience. The ship itself is no different than Freedom, so hating the ship, is confusing to me. Being disappointed in the service or food, should be discussed with management on board to see what can be done to remedy it.

WE also just off of Indy on Sunday. There was a group of six of us including two first time cruisers. Everybody in our group loved the cruise and thought the ship was in great condition. We also had some of the best service ever. Raj... The concierge was always outgoing and personality was wonderful. Our wait staff in the main dining room..... Francis and Rose.... Were exceptional.! Sometimes how much you put into the cruise is how much you will get out of it.
I am going on her march 28 and am very excited . you opinion was different that the op and very specific is rock the boat cover band still on the ship and the headliner that covers journey as well .?

Sorry you're upset. I guess I'll say here that I feel anyone who cruises is blessed to be doing so. I, personally, do not sweat the small stuff and try to find joy and fulfillment in every new day.

I'll just remind you what you said last week...

Old lady going solo this trip, so don't care at all about Dream Works. Mostly just want to get out of cold Central Florida week ahead -- lows in the upper 30's! And this trip will give me the last few points to Diamond Plus...

Thanks for your review! Indeed, the Indy looks much like the Freedom, my go-to ship-- which is in dry dock right now. This morning I managed to get the last room on the Indy, so I'm leaving tomorrow...too bored and chilly here in Central Fl. We go on the refurbished Freedom on March 1 together (hubby and I), but I LOVE cruising alone, so this is a last-minute, just for me cruise. :cool:

Try and hang in there. ;):p:D

To me, it sounds more like they prefer to sail out of Canaveral (so do I!!), and are looking for more justifications on sticking with Freedom. If you expected Port Everglades to be as easy on/off as Canaveral, then I could see a problem. But.. it sure would not affect my cruise.

Maybe they are a soda drinker - the Freedom has freestyle? I'm just guessing now because the OP didn't share a lot of information.

I totally agree with LMaxwell.. find someone NOW to talk to about the service. It can easily be fixed in time.

I am going on her march 28 and am very excited . you opinion was different that the op and very specific is rock the boat cover band still on the ship and the headliner that covers journey as well .?

According to their website, Rock the Boat's contract is up February 22, 2015 and they announced during one of their shows they are moving to Anthem. The Journey tribute band was not on Indy last week. Sorry for the bad news. Rock the Boat was great.

To me, it sounds more like they prefer to sail out of Canaveral (so do I!!), and are looking for more justifications on sticking with Freedom. If you expected Port Everglades to be as easy on/off as Canaveral, then I could see a problem. But.. it sure would not affect my cruise.

Maybe they are a soda drinker - the Freedom has freestyle? I'm just guessing now because the OP didn't share a lot of information.

I totally agree with LMaxwell.. find someone NOW to talk to about the service. It can easily be fixed in time.

Maybe the OP is looking to justify choosing to sail from Canaveral vs PE. I have never cruised out of Canaveral, but have never experienced a difficult time cruising from PE. So not sure how much easier it could be from Canaveral. The port I terribly disliked was cruising from San Juan....but that is for another thread.

When someone is looking for excuses, they can always find them!

Hmm, to each their own I guess. We just sailed on Indy this past December & Freedom the year before. Loved both of them & minus the drink machines, didn't really notice much of a difference. Our port experience was definitely slower than Canaveral, but that's about it.

Both great ships & I'd love to sail either again.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by CruisinW8

This was a very informative and insightful post. Thank you.

Yes, thank you OP, I will never again return to the world's most accessible cruise port. I hate that I can get from the airport to the terminal in 10 minutes for $15. Much better in Port Canaveral, where I have to rent a car (twice) and drive an hour each way, and pay $15 in tolls.

Edit: I am sorry you are having a bad time OP, it was probably just one or two things that made you upset, then everything else seems bad. I understand not wanting to drive to PE when you live closer to Canaveral, but 3 hours isn't very far for most of us. Also you are in the port for what an hour or two? No point in letting that ruin your cruise.

The worst embarkation/disembarkation I've ever had was in Canaveral, the best was in PE. But even the time I spent hours in line at Canaveral, the second I got on the ship I couldn't care less about the embarkation process.

Edited by OSUZorba

Edit...I notice its the perks...

Even though i did like the Indy to have freestyle machines, it won't break my cruise..

Thanks to the other reviews who said they had a good time on it.... there will be people who have a bad time and there will be people who have a good time :D I tend to stick to the positive reviews, so i won't be worrying all day before my cruise.

Edited by WaveSplasher

I HATE Port Everglades - I'll never come back here.

What didn't you like about it? We liked Fort Lauderdale, and found nothing offensive about the port itself. It was nicer than Ballantyne in Vancouver, which was our first cruise port, so it had that going for it for us.

Are there certain actual differences between Freedom and Independence, apart from things that easily change like food and service? Lack of Freestyle machines doesn't make a difference to me.

Differences in perks; wouldn't that be coming from RCI, not the ship itself?

We have done 3 Indy cruises and loved every one. Had excellent service, phenomenal crew! We also like Port Everglades and find it one of the easiest in and out ports around. We are trying Freedom in May so look forward to loving her as well. Sorry it didn't work for you!

According to their website, Rock the Boat's contract is up February 22, 2015 and they announced during one of their shows they are moving to Anthem. The Journey tribute band was not on Indy last week. Sorry for the bad news. Rock the Boat was great.
bummer oh well that will by no means ruin my cruise . thanks for the update

I will be on the Indy sailing for the last sailing that Rock the Boat will be on....from what I am reading they are very, very good. It sounds like they will have some time on land before they rejoin a ship when they board Anthem.

For those that are reading this who may have just come off of Freedom, who was the Activity Manager on a recent sailing? Thanks.