Business Class: Delta vs AA???

teacherman

We flew one way to Europe in Delta One service and thought it was very nice. We are now looking to fly one way from CDG to DTW in April. The seats for AA business class are currently about $500 pp less costly than Delta. I do not know why, but just wondered if the quality of the service is that much different. Any advice is welcome. I have looked on You Tube and it generally shows the AA fleet to be older. Both flights would be on 332s (I think).

I find the AA seats more comfortable than the Delta One lie flat ones but the Delta onboard product is better than AA to Europe. Frankly I'd take the more comfortable seat over the slightly better meal.

That being said both of them aren't nearly half as good as their European counterparts up in business class. Recently flew KLM to Amsterdam and delta one back and the differences were starkly in KLMs favor.

The price difference may be due to various factors including an aircraft difference- lie flat seats vs simply reclining seats. The seat is what is most important to me so if the seats are comparable, would definitely choose the lower fare. Does AA fly direct from CDG to DTW?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The price difference may be due to various factors including an aircraft difference- lie flat seats vs simply reclining seats. The seat is what is most important to me so if the seats are comparable, would definitely choose the lower fare. Does AA fly direct from CDG to DTW?

AA lie flat seats beat Delta One lie flat seats handily.

We always fly Delta as we are in the Detroit area. If Delta, we MAY be able to fly non-stop, or stop in Amsterdam. If AA, we have to stop in either Charlotte or Philadelphia. I know nothing about these airports. Both stops would be about 2 hours. Currently, aircraft are all 332.

Not enough info to provide a useful response.

AA don't fly CDG-DTW nonstop so I'm guessing that, judging by your Airbus A332 comment that you're going via CLT.

Flight numbers, routings and dates for both options would be helpful if you're looking for a better answer. Unlike economy there can be huge variation between aircraft and even aircraft sub fleets.

We always fly Delta as we are in the Detroit area. If Delta, we MAY be able to fly non-stop, or stop in Amsterdam. If AA, we have to stop in either Charlotte or Philadelphia. I know nothing about these airports. Both stops would be about 2 hours. Currently, aircraft are all 332.

I would prefer a layover in PHL vs CLT. Lots of new restaurants and they just opened a new Centurion Lounge in Philly if you have an Amex Plat or Centurion card. It's nicer than BAs first class lounge there.

AA's A330s are ex-US Airways metal with so-called "Envoy Suites." These are lie-flat seats with pretty good width and legroom. Like Delta, they're in a 1-2-1 layout, so everybody has aisle access.

You probably won't be on a wide-body on the last leg; AA flies regional jets between Philly and Detroit and A319s or A320s (both narrow-body) between Charlotte and Detroit.

If the Delta option is nonstop, and if mileage or frequent flyer perks aren't at issue, then it comes down to how you value your money and time. I don't think either airline offers much of a difference in terms of comfort or service.

Because you're on an international business class itinerary, you'd have lounge access at your connecting airport in the US in either case; however you might be constrained as to time once you clear border controls.

Go to seat guru and check the descriptions of the seats - even in biz class they can vary a lot. Look at the actual flights you are contemplating, planes can also vary a lot within the same airline.

For instance - AA are wider than BA seats by quite enough to make a difference. All aisle access can be helpful on a long flight if others are sleeping. Fully flat is usually better than angle flat. 'Back and forward' paired seats can be awkward. Etc. etc. only you know what's important to you.

I’m guessing that, going to DTW, you’ll be flying nonstop on Delta while you may be making a connection somewhere on American. If that’s the case, how much is the convenience of flying nonstop worth to you? In my opinion, the hassle of making a connection (which in the US involves going through customs, claiming your luggage, then rechecking your bags and going through security again before proceeding to your final destination) as well as the wasted extra time which can be a few extra hours may not be worth it.