NCL shore excursion gone bad

curlyQ

I would have been scared to death. At least the water temp should have been comfortable. I wonder why the ship didn't send some boats out to the grouup. I also wonder if anyone took photos.

The ship may not have been near where the tour was:confused:

Olowalu, Hawaii from the dateline is on the opposite side of the island from where the Norwegian ships dock, in Kahului. It would have taken the ships, or boats from the ships, hours to reach the kayakers.

Here's a map of Maui.

map_maui_b.jpg

Olowalu, Hawaii from the dateline is on the opposite side of the island from where the Norwegian ships dock, in Kahului. It would have taken the ships, or boats from the ships, hours to reach the kayakers.

Here's a map of Maui.

map_maui_b.jpg

Thanks!

Makes sense;)

Let's hope that they signed one of those infamous "disclaimer" forms at the beginning of the excursion which absolves the excursion company of any liability. I would imagine that NCL already has one within our cruise docs (or in the paperwork when reserving an excursion) that basically says you are proceeding at your own risk.

If anyone would be liable in a lawsuit, it would be the excursion company providing the kayaks. I can't see how NCL would be held responsible (unless they come up with one of those really creative reasons for including them). However, it sounds to me like all the safety precautions were in place (life jackets, tethers, etc.).

That is why I pay close attention to the reviews which include descriptions of tours. Several of them had described their nightmare experiences during kayak outings. That helped me decide on no kayacking for me or my son. I was also wondering about sharks in those waters. I would have died of a heart attack if I had to abandon my kayak and attempt to swim in "Open Water" .

I love the quote: "That's not what we signed up for." :rolleyes:

I guess someone forgot to remind 'ol Ma Nature that when Americans spend their money...yes they DO expect the World! (to behave of course).

Hmmmm... maybe they can sue Neptune! ;)

I was on the ship when this happen and didn't hear about it until the next day. Actually, the ship stopped in La Haina along with the Celebrity Summit. Both ships had people on the kayaking excursion. What ever was reported on the news is more information then what I'm aware of. I asked others on the ship what they had heard and it what news to them.

Later,

John

I keep reading the story in the link and can't see anything to confirm that it was an excursion sold by the cruise line, only that the people on the tour were ship passengers. Yes, it may be an excursion offered by the cruise line, but does the tour operator offer any independently booked excursions of this type?

-Monte

Archived