Has anyone visited Lourmarin?

Cruisinforasnoozin

• 1 year later...

We have often recommended cruisers visit Aix en Provence...when in Marseille (or Toulon). As to Lourmarin, DW and I stopped there for lunch one day (when we were living in an apartment in St Remy) while driving aimlessly around the Luberon (those that have read Peter Mayle's books would know something about the Lubreron). I honestly cannot understand why a cruise line excursion would choose this village for a visit...although it is an attractive place. Other then the Chateau, some decent local art galleries, and cafes (for those that want lunch or a drink) there is not much to do here. If you would happen to get here early enough on a Friday you could visit the local market. We have heard its a pretty decent market...but have never been there on the right day to visit. The Chateau was only partially open when we visited and not particularly impressive when compared to many other Chateau's around France. The most famous part of that Chateau is the library which was not open to the public. On the other hand, just driving around parts of the Luberon (and admiring the scenery) is a nice way to spend a day for those that like to drive around :).

Hank

I think Lourmarin is where Peter Mayle lives and wrote his books. Maybe that is the attraction.

Interesting story about Peter Mayle. He did live near Lourmarin...which he disclosed in his first (and most famous) book. It was a quiet and peaceful are of the Luberon...which is why Peter Mayle decided to buy a house in that part of France. Once his book became a best seller the tourists started coming, taking pictures of his property...stopping their cars along the road in front of his mailbox....and even walking up to his front door to knock! Peter Mayle because a bit tired (and we have heard regreatful) about these hoards. And some of his neighbors were not pleased that he attracted more tourists and traffic to their sleepy part of the Luberon. He eventually grew tired of the issues... sold his home..and moved!

Hank

P.S. We will confess that we did drive by his old home :). But we did not stop in the road.

Can't blame him for moving! Hope Princess doesn't find out where he went! :D

ROFL! Since we are on the Peter Mayle topic (we recommend that everyone read "A Year in Provence" before visiting Provence) I thought some might find this link interesting:

http://theprovencepost.blogspot.com/2011/01/peter-mayles-house-is-for-sale.html

We once stopped at a cafe (for lunch) in a village near Mayle's house and chatted with the waiter and bar tender about Mr. Mayle. They told us the locals had mixed emotions about the man, Just about everyone liked him and there was some pride about how his books portrayed Provence. But they also regretted how his books had disturbed the local pace of life...and increased property values (which attract foreigners as opposed to more French).

Hank

This thread really got me thinking more about Peter Mayle (we have read nearly all his books) which led to me doing a little research. So here is a link to a NY Times story...which I guess some might say tells "the rest of the story."

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/06/18/nyregion/glorifier-of-provence-seeks-refuge-in-the-hamptons.html?pagewanted=all

Hank

This thread really got me thinking more about Peter Mayle (we have read nearly all his books) which led to me doing a little research. So here is a link to a NY Times story...which I guess some might say tells "the rest of the story."

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/06/18/nyregion/glorifier-of-provence-seeks-refuge-in-the-hamptons.html?pagewanted=all

Hank

Fascinating! As usual, those things that seem too good to true, aren't!

Hank

Bus tours of Amagansett?

Good research, Hank.

Bus tours of Amagansett?

Good research, Hank.

ROFL! Both DW and I have our roots in New York (we were both born in the city and lived on Long Island so I have trouble even thinking about bus tours of the Hamptons. But I bet somebody is doing it! What we find funny is that a Brit falls in love with France...and then must flee to the USA for peace and quiet. But now you have me thinking. I have to drive out to Long Island in a few weeks (for a social function) and will only be about a half hour from the Hamptons. Perhaps I will go "looking." NOT.

Hank