Live from the queen mary 2 eastbound transatlantic crossing

deck chair

I do wish people would stop posting fantastic pictures like this! We don't sail until December and this just makes me want to cry that I have to wait so long :D

Does the pic not show the ship ARRIVING? If it was leaving shouldn't the Statue be on the starboard side?

It means something slightly different in British English.

What you have described would simply be "chatting", "chatting up" in the UK is more like your American expression "hitting on".

The joys of a "shared" language !

Thanks again for posting during your crossing.

Thank you, Hattie for explaining what chatting up means in Britain. If you are on this crossing I will buy you a drink!!!

Deck Chair

Does the pic not show the ship ARRIVING? If it was leaving shouldn't the Statue be on the starboard side?

I understand the confusion, but that screen shot actually does show QM2 departing New York last Friday at about 5:45 pm as she is heading toward the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and out to sea. It has to do with the angle of the shot taken from the webcam's position on Staten Island and the broad arching path QM2 takes after departing from Red Hook.

About 5 minutes earlier, QM2 passed in front of the Statue of Liberty from right to left across the camera's field of view. Then she made a broad sweeping turn and passed the Statue of Liberty from left to right across the camera's field of view soon after that screen shot was taken. The long focal length of the camera lens adds to the illusion. The Statue of Liberty is about 5 miles away from the camera's position while the QM2 was probably about 1 mile away from the camera at the point that screen shot was taken.

Edited by bluemarble

I understand the confusion, but that screen shot actually does show QM2 departing New York last Friday at about 5:45 pm as she is heading toward the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and out to sea. It has to do with the angle of the shot taken from the webcam's position on Staten Island and the broad arching path QM2 takes after departing from Red Hook.

About 5 minutes earlier, QM2 passed in front of the Statue of Liberty from right to left across the camera's field of view. Then she made a broad sweeping turn and passed the Statue of Liberty from left to right across the camera's field of view soon after that screen shot was taken. The long focal length of the camera lens adds to the illusion. The Statue of Liberty is about 5 miles away from the camera's position while the QM2 was probably about 1 mile away from the camera at the point that screen shot was taken.

That's such an excellent way of explaining it. The New York Harbor Webcam homepage has a link near the bottom to their 'Port Fever' archives. It's pretty wonderful. To illustrate BlueMarble's explanation, if you click on the 'Port Fever' archives, and then choose 3 Aug on the calendar setting, and then click on the 5:00pm image, you can play through the archival images and keep hitting the '>' button to see QM2 leave her berth and move through the maneuver BlueMarble so expertly described. I'm so curious to know what you do for a living, BlueMarble.

It's also kind of fun to click on the 5:00am image, and keep hitting the '>' button to see QM2's arrival earlier that morning.

That's such an excellent way of explaining it ... I'm so curious to know what you do for a living, BlueMarble. ...

Thank you very much for that nice compliment. I am recently retired after a career in IT. I have been told on one or two occasions that I might have made a good teacher.

Thank you Bluemarble John. ... I was concerned in case they'd moved the Statue.

And you're welcome Stewart. No David Copperfield magic tricks with the Statue of Liberty were involved to get that screen shot this time around, I assure you. :)

Now I suppose it would be a good idea to get back to deck chair's voyage narrative.

Deck Chair

I’m enjoying your refreshing accounts of your voyage. I loved your vision of sitting in the moonlight, making up poems.

I agree with your observation that QM2 crossings attract the most remarkable, interesting passengers. We crossed in late June, and the highlights of the trip were some of the fascinating people we met.

Someday perhaps we will meet on a crossing. I’d like that very much.

Hello

This is our last day before landing in Southampton.....it is cool outside. The seas moderate. From Southampton I will be transferring onto the Queen Victoria for three weeks. I have not been on that ship since the refit so I am very curious about the changes, some of which I am critical of especially the removal of the beautiful Chart Room. We shall see,

I want to summarize my views of this crossing if I may:

SERVICE; EXCELLENT PLUS PLUS PLUS. AND IF YOU MAKE AN EFFORT TO KNOW THE CREW, THEIR NAMES YOUR SERVICE WILL BE EVEN BETTER. ALWAYS REMEMBER, THE CREW MEMBERS WHO HELP YOU ARE HUMAN. TREAT THEM WITH RESPECT. DON'T FORGET TO SAY PLEASE AND THANK YOU. MAKE SURE TO TELL THEM YOU TRULY APPRECIATE THEIR HELP. I AM DISMAYED BY THE NUMBER OF PASSENGERS WHO FAIL TO SAY PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!!

CABIN: I am in cabin 4122, a sheltered balcony very close to the C staircase and elevators. A very convenient location. My cabin steward LARRY is great and you will be in good hands if he is your steward too!!! The sheltered balcony is perfect for crossings because it offers great views (While you are standing). Since the weather on the crossings does not encourage sitting out I do not see the value in Britannia balcony cabins on deck 11. And I like being closer to the sea on deck 4, 5 and 6. I do not recommend cabins on deck 6 because you can experience noise from the promenade deck above from foot traffic.

FOOD: Overall I found the food to be very good in the Britannia Dining Room. You can also special order within reason. I never ate in Kings Court because of the crowds, noise and the general chaos.

More later....

Enjoy your last day onboard and have a great time on Queen Victoria. Will you be posting from your cruises as well ?

We will be boarding QV the day you leave so please leave her in good condition !

Hello Hattie

Yes, I will be posting while on the Queen Victoria! I am sorry I will be missing you since you will be boarding right after |I get off.

Be well and thank you for all you do for us on Cruise Critic!

Deck Chair

SERVICE; EXCELLENT PLUS PLUS PLUS. AND IF YOU MAKE AN EFFORT TO KNOW THE CREW, THEIR NAMES YOUR SERVICE WILL BE EVEN BETTER. ALWAYS REMEMBER, THE CREW MEMBERS WHO HELP YOU ARE HUMAN. TREAT THEM WITH RESPECT. DON'T FORGET TO SAY PLEASE AND THANK YOU. MAKE SURE TO TELL THEM YOU TRULY APPRECIATE THEIR HELP. I AM DISMAYED BY THE NUMBER OF PASSENGERS WHO FAIL TO SAY PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!!

Bravo Deck Chair,

I very much agree with you with the acknowledgement of the crew members on board.

From the time we see them the thing in the morning and through the day they much appreciate being treated like humans and regular people. You can be assured they we go the extra mile to assist you with your requests.

Yes, I have seen passengers leaving their tables and not acknowledging the service they received.

Enjoy your last day aboard and thank you for all your insights, comments and tips.

Hello Hattie

Yes, I will be posting while on the Queen Victoria! I am sorry I will be missing you since you will be boarding right after |I get off.

Be well and thank you for all you do for us on Cruise Critic!

Deck Chair

Excellent, that will definitely help to build our excitement.

Enjoy the 3 Queens and the Red Arrows in Southampton tomorrow.

Hello

I want to continue my thoughts on the Queen Mary...

While I did not have dinner in the Steakhouse at the Verandah I did have lunch there as a Diamond member. To me the new menu is much more approachable and agreeable than past menus. I enjoyed a very nice steak cooked perfectly. The service was flawless. At the time I was there the restaurant was about 20% filled. Friends told me that when they had dinner the venue was about 80% filled. These friends also told me the place has no buzz and cheer. it also does not help that the venue is in an out of the way location unlike the Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth. Even with the change of menu for the better the restaurant does not have drawing power as THE PLACE TO BE even if for just cocktails. If there was live piano music that would help to provide a more festive atmosphere. Will Cunard do anything? Just one man's opinion.

I will always love the Chart Room day or night. I love the atmosphere there with all the live music at night before dinner and afterwards as well. For pre-dinner drinks you must usually get there early or you will not get a seat in the room. Now in this venue, unlike the Verandah there is great buzz and a sense that this is the place you want to be because it is o lively and fun. If you are a regular of this room you get to know the fabulous waiters such as Mars, Pawan, Michael and James. They are so terrific and will totally take care of you and remember your preferences.

More later.

Deck Chair

Hello

I have been on the Queen Mary 2 many many times. Since the beginning there have been ongoing complaints about the inadequacies of theinternet system on the ship and as far as I know nothing has been done.

That said, I am always impressed with the staffers that serve the passengers in the internet center. On this voyage it has been Adam and Priah. I hope I am spelling her name correctly. They have a difficult job dealing with unhappy passengers frustrated by the limitations of the system. They also do a great job assisting passengers becoming oriented to the system. They are incredibly patient, helpful, warm and knowledgeable. It is always impressive observing them deal with rude demanding passengers. Cunard is very fortunate to have such professionals staffing the internet center. Now if only Cunard would do something about upgrading the system itself!!

More later

Deck Chair