Olympia Excurasion - how long?

JPH814

Seabourn offers two excursions to Olympia: 7 hour "Best of Olympia" and 4 hours "Birthplace of the Olympics. " The descriptions sound pretty similar. Does anyone recommend the longer version vs. the shorter one? Is 4 hours enough to see Olympia?

Yes. Previously did this on Silverseas, in the afternoon, on a 4 hours tour. We visited the archeological museum, which was very good (but not as good as the Acropolis Museum in Athens - outstanding); had full coverage of Olympia (very hot but also plenty of broad shade trees - stand under when the guide speaks) and had 30 - 45 mins in the small town, for a cool drink before the return journey. All in all it was a very good excursion and one you really have to do if it's on your itinerary. We're on the 14 July 21 day cruise and will probably go again.

Tony

Seabourn offers two excursions to Olympia: 7 hour "Best of Olympia" and 4 hours "Birthplace of the Olympics. " The descriptions sound pretty similar. Does anyone recommend the longer version vs. the shorter one? Is 4 hours enough to see Olympia?

The longer one includes a visit to the Olympic (not the Archaeological) Museum and lunch. SB lunches tend to take a bit of time...

Also, there is an Augmented Reality 3D excursion offered for Olympia where you use AR tablets to look around the site. It doesn't say whether there is also a human guide to lead you around. Has anyone taken one of these AR tours here or elsewhere?

I am thinking of signing up for the AR tour since I have been to Olympia a couple of times before.

We did a lot of other archaeological stops on our Eastern Med trip a couple of years ago and opted for the little "eco-tourism" farm visit instead. Touristy but a nice excursion. People came back from the Olympus excursions exhausted from the heat and crowds.

The longer one includes a visit to the Olympic (not the Archaeological) Museum and lunch. SB lunches tend to take a bit of time...

Also, there is an Augmented Reality 3D excursion offered for Olympia where you use AR tablets to look around the site. It doesn't say whether there is also a human guide to lead you around. Has anyone taken one of these AR tours here or elsewhere?

SB answered my question:

Ancient Olympia in 3D: A UNESCO Partner Tour:The tour will have a guide with you along the way and there will be no free time on this tour to visit the Archaeological Museum.

The tour The Best of Olympia: A UNESCO Partner [ this is the other tour] tour includes a 60 minute visit to the Archaeological Museum.

Still, I would love to hear your experiences if you have taken any of these new AR tours. They are also offered in Athens and Crete.

Thanks for all the information

I think we will just go with a 4 hour tour. We are seeing a lot of ancient ruins on this trip and after a while I think they will all look alike.

We are going with another couple and a private guide split four ways is less expensive than the ship’s excursion and much more flexible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all the information

I think we will just go with a 4 hour tour. We are seeing a lot of ancient ruins on this trip and after a while I think they will all look alike.

We are going with another couple and a private guide split four ways is less expensive than the ship’s excursion and much more flexible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are going on the Odyssey 18 day Italian and Spanish Splendors in Oct. We embark in Athens and will also be doing Olympia. I had the same question and appreciate seeing all the helpful responses. Joe can you tell me who you are using for your private tour/guide, thanks Pam