Dress Code

gkgk123ca

Tony - recently this thread has not been about the 'I will wear what I want' brigade, but more the 'you should wear what I want you to' people (not many of them). I am afraid I do object to be told what type of clothing, in detail, I should wear in order to please them.

But more than that, I heard admonishments that we should make sure we are ironed and well tailored and don't wear an ugly khaki color if it veers toward the green or brown. What I objected to most was a generalization about people from the United States. We all have seen boorish people from a wide variety of countries, and I don't think it is helpful (or kind) to focus on citizens of one country in such a derogatory way. (However, in today's political climate I can almost understand it.) And then, come to find out the one knocking Americans was an American themselves, but one who has fled our country for a situation they deem better or at least more genteel.

Please note, I am having a bit of fun here, but do not like generalizations. My own comments (following the comments about the dress of Amercians) about the bright pants men from the UK was meant to express amusement. And who doesn't like to be pleasantly amused when traveling by ship?

I think the upshot is that none of really care what people wear, but many see the benefit of a dress code which maintains the atmosphere that we like on our luxury cruise ships--a bit of luxury and gentility.

the benefit of a dress code which maintains the atmosphere that we like on our luxury cruise ships--a bit of luxury and gentility.

And that was precisely what I was suggesting in my post. Stop being so angry and start having some fun. But not at the expense of others, please.

But more than that, I heard admonishments that we should make sure we are ironed and well tailored and don't wear an ugly khaki color if it veers toward the green or brown. What I objected to most was a generalization about people from the United States. We all have seen boorish people from a wide variety of countries, and I don't think it is helpful (or kind) to focus on citizens of one country in such a derogatory way. (However, in today's political climate I can almost understand it.) And then, come to find out the one knocking Americans was an American themselves, but one who has fled our country for a situation they deem better or at least more genteel.

Please note, I am having a bit of fun here, but do not like generalizations. My own comments (following the comments about the dress of Amercians) about the bright pants men from the UK was meant to express amusement. And who doesn't like to be pleasantly amused when traveling by ship?

I think the upshot is that none of really care what people wear, but many see the benefit of a dress code which maintains the atmosphere that we like on our luxury cruise ships--a bit of luxury and gentility.

Thank you for this, which did not at all seem angry to me, and made me glad that there are others who feel the way I do. On other cruise lines we have booked suites partly to be able to hobnob with others who appreciate that luxury and gentility, so I am looking forward to Seabourn which will have an entire ship with that sensibility and glad to hear that not everyone will be judging and evaluating the wardrobes of fellow passengers.

I didn't say YOU were angry.

What I was talking about was in relation to all these angry posters banging on about "I am not going to be told what to wear" "I know my mind".

The trouble with this sort of thread is that one message follows another but may not refer to the previous post at all.

When I say 'stop being angry' I am not referring to lynn in nc. Is that clear now?

Tony

I am sad when this thread gets angry. "I wear what I want" "I am not going to be dictated to as to what to wear" and so on.

For anyone withing striking distance of the Victoria and Albert Museum I'd urge a visit to the current exhibition on Ocean Liners. There they remind you of the glamour and the fun and don't forget in the early days most of the journeys were a way of getting from A to B and less a recreation which is what we are talking about.

Fun is becoming more and more thin on the ground in this era of terror and security risk. . Glamour an almost rare commodity.

Let's not knock the likes of Seabourn for their attempts to bring both commodities back - and at a price affordable to far more people than in the Golden Age of Ocean Liners. There are far too many places of entertainment where such attempts are pushed aside by the bean counters and the quest for profits.

Tony

London UK

I'm not sure what you are suggesting. That we dress in the manner they did on ocean liners in the thirties and forties? You can't hold on to just one aspect of that era. That means we should also bring back three classes of service, First, Cabin and Tourist. Seabourn should divide its ships so that no one from First Class (Penthouse and above) will have to mingle with Cabin Class (Verandah suites) and certainly not with the riff raff in Tourist Class (Vista suites.) There would have to be three main restaurants and separate lounges for each class. And of course, the service would be far better in First than Tourist. All this to appease some who hate the color khaki or simply cannot accept that this is 2018 and not 1936.

wripro,

14,021 posts now. You must be in line for a prize.

Clearly I irritate you. I meant nothing of what you suggest above. You have an uncanny knack of finding things in my posts to take issue with. I said nothing about three classes. It is all in your mind.

Let's do what one does in a cocktail party (do they still have those in CA USA?) and move on and chat to someone else.

Tony

London UK

Time to close this thread as it’s descending into farce.

Totally agree.

It has ceased to be advice to new Seabourn passengers.

We love Seabourn. It has an element of style that is fast eroding in the 2018's.

They do their best.

Let's shut this thread down until someone genuine asks whether he needs to pack his tux. That is all they need/want to know.

Tony

London UK

And then, come to find out the one knocking Americans was an American themselves, but one who has fled our country for a situation they deem better or at least more genteel.

Nope... still live here deep in the heart of Texas. But I can spot quite a few (not all) Americans a mile (kilometer) away when abroad. There is a general style of dress adopted by quite a few, but not all, of our countrymen that stands out (jorts, promotional t-shirts, wrinkled wash and wear clothing, white sneakers, visors, fanny packs, the list goes on). Almost always, Seabourn passengers are an exception to this rule. But sit on the dock in Nassau or St Thomas on an average afternoon and watch the cruise ships load/unload and tell me you can’t tell that certain passengers are most definitely from the US... it’s just not believable.

wripro,

14,021 posts now. You must be in line for a prize.

Clearly I irritate you. I meant nothing of what you suggest above. You have an uncanny knack of finding things in my posts to take issue with. I said nothing about three classes. It is all in your mind.

Let's do what one does in a cocktail party (do they still have those in CA USA?) and move on and chat to someone else.

Tony

London UK

You suggested that people should check out the Ocean Liner exhibit at the V&A museum to see what passengers sued to dress like back in the day. All I was saying is that you can't just look at the attire without considering everything else that came with it.

not to obey the dress code.

Why do Seabourn have one then?

Tony

Thank you Tony, you made me realise that I'd left a word out of that sentence. I should have ''not merely to obey the dress code''

My point is that too many people when faced with a dress code get hung up on doing the bare minimum to meet the code rather than trying to dress nicely.

"I just came across an interesting post on a long Flyertalk thread about dressing up in an airplane F cabin:

"...denim pants are, of course, no longer declasse. they arent exclusively worn for gold mining, factory, or field work, as far as i know.

condition, fit, and coordination of ones outfit as a whole is a better identifier of taste and formality. not just a material or style of a single piece of garment."

except for bootcut jeans. theres just no excusing that."

For our English friends, and as jennydallas might verify, bootcut jeans are cut wider at the lower leg, to accommodate, well, boots.

Another post goes on:

"i don't mind if people dress up or dress down for flights, but just be clean and mindful of others"

Now that is an attitude to which many might aspire!

Edited by notjaded
added info

Has anyone else got a little tired about reading about khaki, chinos, etc. etc.? Time to call it a day, I think.:)

"I just came across an interesting post on a long Flyertalk thread about dressing up in an airplane F cabin:

"...denim pants are, of course, no longer declasse. they arent exclusively worn for gold mining, factory, or field work, as far as i know.

condition, fit, and coordination of ones outfit as a whole is a better identifier of taste and formality. not just a material or style of a single piece of garment."

except for bootcut jeans. theres just no excusing that."

For our English friends, and as jennydallas might verify, bootcut jeans are cut wider at the lower leg, to accommodate, well, boots.

Another post goes on:

"i don't mind if people dress up or dress down for flights, but just be clean and mindful of others"

Now that is an attitude to which many might aspire!

Ugh! Hope this was all tongue in cheek! A dress code on an airplane, albeit first class?

A dress code on an airplane, albeit first class?

Happy memories. As a 78 year old man I remember when gentlemen always wore ties on air flights.

I still wear a jacket and cravat/ascot on the off chance the checking desk is looking for an upgrade. Having said that I'd wear them anyway. I like the pockets of a jacket as I have yet to aspire to the manbag..

Tony

London U

Ugh! Hope this was all tongue in cheek! A dress code on an airplane, albeit first class?

Haha... those FlyerTalk dress code thread code threads make this one look breezy by comparison. I stopped wading into them years ago because they never resolve anything... just a lot of heel-digging and mud flinging.

I laugh at the issue with boot cut jeans. I own perfectly stylish designer denim that is bootcut. One would not notice unless you were expecting it to always taper at the ankle (and even that style is going out of vogue, or so I’m told). Perhaps the “bootcut” the original poster took issue with was actually more “cowboy jeans” like Wranglers? Living in Texas, I see a lot of those in first class... usually oil and gas guys flying Emirates, Etihad, etc to the Middle East for work.

Haha... those FlyerTalk dress code thread code threads make this one look breezy by comparison. I stopped wading into them years ago because they never resolve anything... just a lot of heel-digging and mud flinging.

I laugh at the issue with boot cut jeans. I own perfectly stylish designer denim that is bootcut. One would not notice unless you were expecting it to always taper at the ankle (and even that style is going out of vogue, or so I’m told). Perhaps the “bootcut” the original poster took issue with was actually more “cowboy jeans” like Wranglers? Living in Texas, I see a lot of those in first class... usually oil and gas guys flying Emirates, Etihad, etc to the Middle East for work.

Yes, and you also see a lot of chaps travelling in robes and Arab dress when you fly with Emirates.

This thread reflects why I have been anxious about cruising on Seabourn. My husband and I are well heeled but casual Americans, and the idea that our fellow cruisers will be judging our attire and tailoring makes me cringe. On the other hand I have been on plenty of NCL and RC cruises where I have been the judgmental one so perhaps this is my karma coming back to me.

Spouse doesn’t own a tux and I don’t see the point to rent one for a cruise. He has a perfectly nice suit and a couple of sport coats. I am typically dressed in leggings but can scrounge up a dress or two for the occasion. Hopefully that will be sufficient to satisfy the people in this thread who are concerned about where their fellow passengers shop!

I wear black dresses, an occasional gown, and jeans (not at the same time [emoji6]). If anyone judges me, so be it. That’s their problem. I just try to avoid the MDR when I’m wearing jeans. I typically have more fun eating on deck, so I get to wear jeans quite often. The only judgment I’ve ever found cruising SB for over 15 years is on Cruise Critic boards, but never on-board the ship. Don’t have another thought about dressing sufficiently to satisfy others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't wear jeans any more because they're not particularly flattering to my (somewhat) matronly, almost 70 year-old figure. But I'm tempted to buy some just for my upcoming Seabourn cruise!

Good for you. You should.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk