Is there ANYTHING good to do in Freeport?

sandkps

We've been many times, usually just walk around port for a bit or stay on the ship.

This time we're doing a short Bahamas sailing and only going to Freeport & Nassau so we're looking to maximize our 2 port days and find something fun to do with our family of 4 (me & DH, 2 kids ages 12 & 8). We don't want to do anything too active (like long walks, kayaking, river tubing). My kids enjoy shore snorkeling, but I can't find anywhere for snorkeling that has decent reviews. We were also looking at the Jeep Safari, but that has bad reviews too.

Is there anything worth doing, or should we just cut our losses and stay on board?

Don't stay onboard. Grand Bahama Island has a lot to offer, but many people do not venture outside the port / tourist areas to explore the beauty of the island itself.

I suggest to rent a car for the day. There is a car rental facility near the pier as well as at the airport.

There are a number of National Parks; one of our favorites is Lucayan National Park, which has one of the longest underwater cave system in the world. Gold Rock Beach is amazing .. not to be missed.

Lots of things to do for all ages and activity levels:

https://www.bahamas.com/islands/grand-bahama-island/popular-activities

I enjoyed just walking around the immediate pier area, window shopping in the stores and kiosks, listening to the music when the group was performing at the gazebo, and enjoying a well prepared Pina Colada at Senor Frog's. I also was one who debated about whether to leave the ship. But, I am glad that I did.

Right in the port area, there used to be a few little huts with food. One was known for their “lobster burgers” and another had the best mango daiquiri I’ve ever had, anywhere. Last time we were there was 2013, I think - are those huts still there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. I agree with Brunello22.

** Lucayan National Park is very cool. They'll take you through a couple of caves, and walk on a boardwalk over mangroves. Right across the street is Gold Rock Beach. (So beautiful!) It's not for snorkeling though - it's too shallow and sandy. The kids could splash around and play in the sand. Look online for Eastern Heritage Tour / Lucayan National Park Tours if you don't want to rent a car. I think Viator has one and maybe shoreexcursioneer. Or, you could email jpinder.west@gmail.com. It's a local tour company that we've used before (Jeff Pinder) - Grand Bahama Eco Tours, but he's not online currently.

We've also done the snorkel tour with Pat & Diane's out of Freeport when our kids were about that same age as yours. Look them up online.

-- In Nassau, we love Ardastra Gardens and Zoo. It's nice and small, but with a good variety of animals, We've just hopped on the local bus for $1.25 each (or you can grab a taxi), and afterwards you can have them take you to Cable Beach for swimming and water sports.

I would not stay onboard in either of these ports!

I agree with checking into Pat and Diane's snorkeling. We used them in 2015, and we had a wonderful time! I think they lost one of their two boats due to a hurricane, though, so their tour capacity is now limited. If interested, I'd check soon.

I agree with checking into Pat and Diane's snorkeling. We used them in 2015, and we had a wonderful time! I think they lost one of their two boats due to a hurricane, though, so their tour capacity is now limited. If interested, I'd check soon.

I used Pat & Diane's a few years back, they were great!

Also did the Lucayan National Park/Gold Rock Beach tour....BEST excursion ever!!!! I have never seen a more beautiful beach than Gold Rock Beach.

• 1 month later...

I took a local taxi from the port to Junkanoo Beach Club (on Taino Beach). The beach was clean, there were shops offering food and beverages, and there were a range of water sports to choose from. I did see people snorkeling off the beach but didn't ask them for their feedback. Vendors did walk the beach selling their wares but they were not rude or pushy, and a simple "no thank you" kept them moving. I had a great day here.

I paid $14.00 round trip for the taxi (you will receive a ticket upon drop off from the driver confirming your RT payment) and entry to Junkanoo was $3.00 if I'm not mistaken. I stopped directly across from Jack Sparrow (near the beach entrance) and set up camp for the day. The use of beach umbrellas and loungers isn't free but the prices are reasonable. Jack Sparrow made some of the best fried fish I've ever had.

The taxi ticket lists the last pick up times from Taino to the port so be sure to keep track of time.

The next time I'm in Freeport I would definitely go back. It was a great beach day.

Edited by CaribbeanHoney

• 2 weeks later...

We've been a few times. First time or two we stayed in the port. Not much to do in the port proper if you aren't a big shopper. The last 2 times we visited we found a great nature walk right next to the port. You'll have to check out google maps to get oriented (and can bookmark the route in rough terms and then download the google maps to your phone and use offline).

It's a little tricky to describe, but head out of the port on foot. Turn right after passing the fenced in rental car area (or maybe you can cut through there). Head down the road (can't locate a name) toward the ocean and the "Pier 1 Bahamas Restaurant". At the restaurant you can get onto the rocky beach that heads generally southwest from there for about 1/2 mile. BEAUTIFUL scenery along that beach walk. Crystal clear blue water, lots of snails on the rocks, maybe some fish in the sea. Some areas where the water rushes in and out and you can climb down to it. And it'll be mostly your beach, as we didn't see more than a few other people during our walk (including 2 locals playing dominoes on a card table they set up!). You can walk down the beach and back to the ship, or once you get to the end of the beach, there is a short cut along "Pinder's Point Rd". Scenery along that road isn't great - just a local neighborhood that's a little run down. I measured the route we took and it's about 1.9 miles if you take the shortcut back along the neighborhood street or closer to 2.25 miles if you walk down and back along the beach.

We have an 11 and 12 year old and they were probably 1-2 years younger last time we went on this walk and they really enjoyed the scenery. Probably a good 2 hrs, more if you bring beach towel and find somewhere to relax. Not really any great beach there to swim or play in the water since there's a several foot drop off from the rocks down to the water, but it's pretty :)

• 6 months later...

We are just off the Carnival Pride and were in Freeport on Friday. We did the Carnival excursion called Bahamas Jeep Adventure and had a great time. Drove our own Jeep on a tour of the island - the guide is in the lead Jeep and gives information over a CB radio. We had about 2 hours of driving around on the tour including a little off road portion through the pine forest, then and hour at Garden of the Groves (lunch was included and we had it here) then about an hour at a beach (Manta Ray Beach Club, I think it was called).

All of it was really good except the beach part - it’s very rocky and definitely doesn’t hold a candle to Half Moon Cay, which we visited the day before.

We are just off the Carnival Pride and were in Freeport on Friday. We did the Carnival excursion called Bahamas Jeep Adventure and had a great time. Drove our own Jeep on a tour of the island - the guide is in the lead Jeep and gives information over a CB radio. We had about 2 hours of driving around on the tour including a little off road portion through the pine forest, then and hour at Garden of the Groves (lunch was included and we had it here) then about an hour at a beach (Manta Ray Beach Club, I think it was called).

All of it was really good except the beach part - it’s very rocky and definitely doesn’t hold a candle to Half Moon Cay, which we visited the day before.

Interesting how the beach can vary so much on the same island. We did the Kayak excursion that included time at Gold Rock Beach. As mentioned upthread, amazing beach:hearteyes::cool: I've heard that HMC is beautiful and hoping it won't be disappointing after our experience on Freeport this past March.

I went to Taino last time. Wasn't the most scenic ride there, nor the best beach I've ever been to. Still had a great time. Got a deal on some jet skis. Relaxed. Drank some beers.

Was planning on going to Gold Rock, but didn't prep enough. Taxis wanted way too much. Next time, I will rent a car and go there and the park.