Early Saver name change on ticket...options?

momonthego17

If it were a regular fare, you’d just pay $50. ES rules are very restrictive. At worst you’ll lose 75% for DH, then pay the going rate for Mom.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Carnival rep said I would have to pay 75% of the ticket cost for the name change. Not a penalty of 75% then my moms fare on top of it. Just trying to see if there are other solutions...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yup. You'll loose 75% of why you paid for hubby, then have to pay mom's fare. That is just for the cruise fare, any port fees and pre-paid grays are refundable.

My DH may not be able to go on our cruise this November. I can take my mom but in a week the penalty goes up to 75% of the ticket cost. My DH probably won’t know until then whether he can go.

Any ideas out there? TIA.

I know this won't help you now, but in the future, it helps to just put yourself in the cabin. I do this all the time when I book a cabin for just me and someone else. I don't add that person until a few weeks before sail date; not even at final payment date. I buy ES all the time and it has worked for me; maybe because I only put my name on it to start, b/c I know that I'M going. Some will say that you have to be concerned with adding someone so close to sailing because of the spots on the lifeboats or some nonsense, but I've never had an issue.

Sorry your DH may not be able to go. Maybe you can call a few times and get a sympathetic ear.

The Carnival rep said I would have to pay 75% of the ticket cost for the name change. Not a penalty of 75% then my moms fare on top of it. Just trying to see if there are other solutions...

It’s because Early Saver doesn’t allow for name changes. It’s in the fine print. What you would be doing is cancelling your husband (and losing whatever portion of his fare is subject to the cancellation penalty) and then paying to rebook your mom. It’s unfortunate, but the restrictions that come with Early Saver are the trade-off for getting a better priced cruise fare.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some will say that you have to be concerned with adding someone so close to sailing because of the spots on the lifeboats or some nonsense, but I've never had an issue.

Sorry your DH may not be able to go. Maybe you can call a few times and get a sympathetic ear.

You may consider it "some kind of nonsense" being told that you can't add a second person close to sailing, but I will tell you that you have been lucky and it's not nonsense. It is a fact! My father booked a cruise for himself, paying for two people in a balcony cabin. About a month before sailing, he wanted to add a friend as he had already paid the full fare minus the port fees and taxes. He was told that even though he paid for 2, other cabins in the area had 3 or 4 people in them; therefore, there was no room in the lifeboat for another person so he couldn't add his friend.

It doesn't seem fair, but that's what can happen when waiting to add someone late in the game.

Maybe I have been lucky adding my second person at the last minute. I book during slow season, so perhaps that's the reason I haven't run into issues. Also, sometimes my PVP adds "TBD" in the other name spot. At any rate, I still stand behind my suggestion to hold off on adding the other person until you know for certain they are traveling, especially when booking ES.

Maybe you can call a few times and get a sympathetic ear.

Whenever you call regarding a substantial issue such as Early Saver Cancellations and Penalties, the booking is documented by the phone agent in the notes of what you were advised. This documentation is to cover the agent against a "That's not what she said when I called yesterday" situation.

So if you are going to call a few times you had better hope for someone with not only a sympathetic ear, but myopic vision problems.

Is it possible to change the name under manage my cruise on carnivals site without it prompting penalty? I have called at 50 days out to change a name on a non-early saver rate, carnival said it would cost $50. I went online and changed it without incurring a fee. I don't know if that will work since yours is early saver but might be worth a try if you are going to loose a bunch of money anyways.

• 2 weeks later...
Update...my DH is able to go on this cruise so whew, I dodged that expensive bullet! Lesson learned, I’m booking past guest from now on. Thx again for all your helpful input!

Wonderful! I had great experiences with Early Saver in the past but I used Past Guest for both my upcoming cruises. I book pretty far out and decided it's just too risky for me.

I'm happy your husband is able to go.