Vancouver Airport - questions meeting someone flying in separately

We will be flying Alaska Airlines connecting in Seattle and meeting a friend who will be flying direct to Vancouver on United from New Jersey. Since both flights are coming from the United States, I am hoping that we can meet up either at luggage or customs. We are not sure yet if we will have phone service so we are hoping to make plans to meet in advance.

How large is Vancouver Airport?

Would it make sense that we could meet once we are through customs or does customs have multiple locations?

Any advice is appreciated.

All flights from the US and other countries pass thru the same customs area . I would suggesting to meet outside the customs hall. There is much seating in customs if any. Cell service is aviable as soon as the plane starts taxing to the gate. Make sure you have a plan that lets you roam in Canada.

Agree with both of the above - get your luggage and yourself through all the 'paperwork' parts and then, if you don't have phones that work for both groups, choose somewhere really obvious like a specific cafe or statue to meet in/next to.

If your flights do land pretty close together, YVR's website has some nice big photos of the huge art pieces that make for good meeting points post-security here; if the first arrivers have some time to kill, you can find a list of all the restos here (choose Before Security and Dine from the options and it'll display only the food spots in the non-secure area). If you want to kill time but don't want to eat or drink, the observation lounge is a good spot - watch for your friends' plane landing!

Meeting outside the Customs Hall with your luggage is the wisest as stated above.

There is a Tim Horton's in the meeting area, plus a Food Court and Koho Restaurant right above the meeting area and you could meet there if you are wanting refreshments or wait in the seating area in the Meeting area. There is a TV screen showing the people exiting the Customs Hall.

If there are 4 of you the Flat Rate for a Taxi is $31 and $35 total depending on the length from YVR to downtown. No Uber etc. [an on going issue]

Train or Canada Line depends on the day and time for cost. If you are Seniors or not. If you are Not Seniors you can use a Tap- Visa or Mastercard and just enter the train and exit and will be charged automatically and not need to buy a ticket.

Canada Line----$5 Surcharge by Transit is applied at YVR and next 2 stops.

https://www.translink.ca/Fares-and-Passes/Canada-Line-YVR-AddFare.aspx

Thank you for the great info. We will meet in the meeting area.

We will be staying on Beach Avenue. Do you happen to know if that is included in the $31/35 taxi fares, or is that further away? We were told the sky train would be quicker but from there is a 10 minute walk or we could take a cab. We could easily walk 10 min but I am not sure if that is our best option with all of our luggage. There will be 3 of us and 1 other person arriving later that day so we are looking at all options.

Thank you for the great info. We will meet in the meeting area.

We will be staying on Beach Avenue. Do you happen to know if that is included in the $31/35 taxi fares, or is that further away? We were told the sky train would be quicker but from there is a 10 minute walk or we could take a cab. We could easily walk 10 min but I am not sure if that is our best option with all of our luggage. There will be 3 of us and 1 other person arriving later that day so we are looking at all options.

As others have suggested, I would meet at the Tim Hortons just past customs. (Just walk straight forward. as you leave the customs hall).

Vancouver is a very walk-able city and if you are comfortable with luggage on a 5 minute walk it is do able. Personally if it was 3 people, for the extra $15 I would take taxi.

Here is the map for the taxi zones. Depending on exactly where you are on Beach, you are either in the $31 or $37 zone.

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/transportation/yvr_2197_fare_brochure_12x9_feb2016_website-(1).pdf?la=en

We will be staying on Beach Avenue.

Beach is pretty long, and most of it is not close to SkyTrain - even if you're at the far eastern end, right where it changes to Beach Crescent, you are more than 10mins walk away from the nearest station! My guess is that this is an AirBnB that the owner is exaggerating the convenience of as the only hotel, the Sylvia, would know not to recommend SkyTrain to their guests being about as far as you can possibly get from SkyTrain and still be on the peninsula... in short, I'd most definitely be taking a cab to any part of Beach for 3 people.

Beach is pretty long, and most of it is not close to SkyTrain - even if you're at the far eastern end, right where it changes to Beach Crescent, you are more than 10mins walk away from the nearest station! My guess is that this is an AirBnB that the owner is exaggerating the convenience

Thank you! We will take a cab. This does concern me though along with everything about renting this AirBNB! We booked it before we heard that they were not allowed and we have been assured that this one does follow the regulations. We are looking forward to our trip and hope that this part was not a mistake. If so, we will make the best of it!

Thank you! We will take a cab. This does concern me though along with everything about renting this AirBNB! We booked it before we heard that they were not allowed and we have been assured that this one does follow the regulations. We are looking forward to our trip and hope that this part was not a mistake. If so, we will make the best of it!

It is in the Flat Rate Cab of $31. It is doable by Canada Line but you need a #23 Bus along from Pacific by the Yaletown Station but with more than 2 people it is smarter to take the cab directly there.

Gorgeous Vancouver day here today!!!

Unless they displayed their unique small business license number in the ad they are not compliant with local laws. However there is a grace period since the bylaw amendments were put in place as there's obviously a delay when you create a new licensing scheme and hundreds of people all have to apply at the same time as you are hiring and training minions to enforce the laws! IIRC August was when all ads had to be compliant, or AirBnB will start removing them...

Unless they displayed their unique small business license number in the ad they are not compliant with local laws. However there is a grace period since the bylaw amendments were put in place as there's obviously a delay when you create a new licensing scheme and hundreds of people all have to apply at the same time as you are hiring and training minions to enforce the laws! IIRC August was when all ads had to be compliant, or AirBnB will start removing them...

As you say, it is an on going problem here.

Our complex has a strict rule for No short term rentals but some are still disobeying the rule. There is a sign in the lobby advising of it.

So, if they are caught there could be a problem in such a building with that rule. Best to be sure of your BnB........