Uniworld- Remarkable Rhine

E316

Great choice of what to do from Amsterdam! Loved visiting The Hague (both the city and the place).

Looking forward to following along. Thank you for letting us join you!

Does Uniworld offer any tours on the day you board the boat? Since we are already in Amsterdam, we are trying to figure out our schedule as to what time to board. Ant suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does Uniworld offer any tours on the day you board the boat? Since we are already in Amsterdam, we are trying to figure out our schedule as to what time to board. Ant suggestions?

Elyce: as you know we are newbies to Uniworld. However, the materials my neighbors gave me from their cruise would suggest that there are no organized tours on the day of embarkation. I assume you could borrow their bikes if you want to. I can email you the daily from the first day if you like (although their cruise was in the reverse direction). The first item listed is lunch from noon to 3:00 pm, so you can obviously board by then. Also, the ship will be in Amsterdam the day before, so if you are close by I suppose you could go over to the dock and maybe find someone who could answer any questions.

Tom & Judy

Thanks for you suggestion Tom and Judy. The lunch information was helpful. The daily for the reverse trip will not help. Thanks anyway. We probably will try to get to the boat by lunch. And then play it by ear.

Elyce and Bob

Elyce: as you know we are newbies to Uniworld. However, the materials my neighbors gave me from their cruise would suggest that there are no organized tours on the day of embarkation. I assume you could borrow their bikes if you want to. I can email you the daily from the first day if you like (although their cruise was in the reverse direction). The first item listed is lunch from noon to 3:00 pm, so you can obviously board by then. Also, the ship will be in Amsterdam the day before, so if you are close by I suppose you could go over to the dock and maybe find someone who could answer any questions.

Tom & Judy

This information is correct. On embarkation day people are arriving at all different times. It's a good day to make your way to the ship, unpack and get settled in, acquaint yourself with the ship's layout and facilities, have a drink in the lounge, exchange money, walk around on your own, etc.

Roz

You generally can’t get your cabin until 3. You are welcome to board at any time and there will be a lunch buffet available. You have the run of the ship except for your cabin. In Vienna I arrived very early from the airport, rested on the sun deck, and then borrowed a bike to go for a ride.

There is no need to board before mid-afternoon unless you want to. You can have your hotel store your luggage and spend the day sightseeing. Alternatively, drop the bags at the ship and spend the day sightseeing. The lunch isn’t anything to get overly excited about. If you have something better to do, do it. Be back at the ship by about 4 or 4:30. It should say in your final documents.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I felt the first lunch was a good time to get somewhat acquainted with the set-up of the buffet. It will be easy for you to leave your bags, even your carry-ons if you don't mind, and go off the ship after lunch.

But if you don't feel comfortable leaving your valuables onboard while you go off again, I agree with gnome12 that it might be more agreeable to you to leave your bags at your hotel in a more secure location, finish up your wandering around Amsterdam, then going on over to the ship closer to when your cabin will be available.

Amsterdam, one of our favorite cities -- and reminds me how fortunate I am that Mr. B. and I agree on so very many of our travel details.

Keep enjoying.

Oh, and the docking area for the river ships is such a hoot. Ship after ship after ship. Once I think I counted eleven of them. Various companies, and most likely one you can "look into" from your cabin window. Heck, there might even be one you have to walk through to actually GET to your own ship. Which of course is a pain if you're taking your own luggage. I'm not sure; perhaps no embarking/disembarking passengers have to go through another ship. There are a few docks.

Oh, and the docking area for the river ships is such a hoot. Ship after ship after ship. Once I think I counted eleven of them. Various companies, and most likely one you can "look into" from your cabin window. Heck, there might even be one you have to walk through to actually GET to your own ship. Which of course is a pain if you're taking your own luggage. I'm not sure; perhaps no embarking/disembarking passengers have to go through another ship. There are a few docks.

Even if the ship is rafted you shouldn't have to take your own luggage. There should be Uniworld staff available on embarkation day to whisk your luggage to the ship for you.

Today we went to Zaanse Schans. Walked around and took the Windmill Cruise. Maybe touristy but I loved seeing the windmills. e91dd0ffc4d62f3f08fa3d4af6c26a0a.heic472a3652feb8ee0f893c4ebe29d9d743.heic462021627229bfc4aa89eaed7296a2ac.heica61d36fa714b2b7a73bc3691bab69d3a.heic

Even if the ship is rafted you shouldn't have to take your own luggage. There should be Uniworld staff available on embarkation day to whisk your luggage to the ship for you.

Agree - Uniworld gets your luggage onboard for you. A lot of the gangways are steep and it's all I can do to get myself up and down them without toting a suitcase.

Roz

Glad you're onboard, Elyce, and welcome to the world's smallest bathrooms. ;)

I'm so glad I river cruise by myself. Don't know if I could share such a small space with someone else.

Roz

Don't know if I could share such a small space with someone else.

Roz

We've shared tiny cabins and it is like a dance routine. I love my dance partner. We are thankful we can cruise and are thankful for our home when we get back. The cozy cabin is just for a few weeks and someone cleans it twice a day, scrubs the toilet, gives us fresh towels and leaves me sweets...a great trade off.

RB

Highlight of the Jewish tour in Amsterdam was seeing the memorial plaques on the Shadow canal. And the 34c1b1392eb9e57e68e0243d4f5e4b24.heic9f0ecb9c0057d103e404e9e3db89e2c8.heic55199005efaf19342216bbd53b21e275.heicc89cc98b79f2dea28f47d128a182f68e.heicPortuguese Synagogue.

Elyce

It reminds me of the initiative of a German artist: http://www.stolpersteine.eu/en/ This might have been mentioned to you already. If not it probably will be in German cities. Most of those plaques stop shining after some years. If people walked on them they would be "wiped" and stay clean longer but people in general do not walk over them if they can help it, a sort of inner reluctance as it can feel as if stepping on a gravestone.

The synagogue has an interesting mix of architectural and religious style. It somewhat reminds me of Renaissance area ships.

Thank you for taking us along on your journey and the interesting photographs.

notamermaid

a5b13d8cdfe78d844e896485f1a00414.heic

Tours have number limits on them . I did not notice that in other cruise lines. Our Jewish tour this morning has 24 people dividdd into 2 groups and the bike tour had 4. As far as the gentle walking , there has officially been no mention but when I asked the woman in charge she said she would try to work things out. It was mentioned on this site that the Jewish tour in Strasbourg was difficult. When I inquired about that they said there were steps in some buildings. We are trying to work it out privately to at least get to the Synagogue by private car.

Elyce