BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:44 PM.
180 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
LOL with a little french I remember (from college days) think he is saying 'for those who believe ship is too big for Bordeaux...." here is the proof!!

For one,I am happy to hear that
Redondo Beach, California
583 Posts
Joined May 2006
We were on the Marina last May and docked in Bordeaux about a ten minute walk from the center of the city. It was a wonderful and scenic location

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
20,726 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by TERRIER1
That is good news. I wonder why the Marina/Riviera doesn't always dock in Bordeaux instead of Le Verdun?
It may depend on the time of year. Rivers can vary in their navigability depending on the season.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wherever the wind takes me I travel as a visitor. (Horace)
Encino, CA
1,020 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by TERRIER1
That is good news. I wonder why the Marina/Riviera doesn't always dock in Bordeaux instead of Le Verdun?
We were told the larger ships (Marina and Riviera) dock in Le Verdon. The smaller ships are able to dock in Bordeaux.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]

FUTURE CRUISES
Viking Sky - Bergen to Reykjavik - 8-2019
Regent Explorer - Cape Town to Cape Town - 12-2018
Silver Cloud Expedition - Ushuaia to Ushuaia - 2-2018

PAST CRUISES
Oceania Marina - London to London - 8-2017
Viking Star - Puerto Rico to Puerto Rico - 2-2017
Oceania Marina - Amsterdam to Barcelona - 9-2016
Oceania Marina - Sydney to Auckland - 2-2016
Viking Star - Venice to Istanbul - 9-2015
Oceania Marina - New York to Montreal 5-2015
Viking Njord - Budapest to Prague - 8-2014
Viking Emerald - Shanghai to Beijing - 4-2014
Silversea Whisper - Hong Kong to Singapore - 2-2013
Regent Voyager - Stockholm to Copenhagen - 7-2012
Regent Mariner - Barcelona to Rome - 5-2011
Regent Mariner - Istanbul to Athens - 8-2010
Regent Mariner - Alaska 8-2009
Carnival cruise to Mexico - 2000
Disney cruise to the Bahamas - 1989
Columbus, Ohio
18,925 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by cruisemom42
It may depend on the time of year. Rivers can vary in their navigability depending on the season.
Excellent above points by the experienced and wise cruisemom42. Water levels, rain amounts, tide timings, etc., can all affect the "mix" for making things work. Or, NOT!! While the Le Verdun docking for us was not perfect earlier this year, it actually did give us more "net" time in the key areas and eliminate any worries or complications. Appreciate these follow-ups. There are various "trade-offs" to consider.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 228,521 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:
www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474
Cincinnati, OH
5,760 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
We docked in the center of Bordeaux on our wonderful Marina wine cruise last May and enjoyed our overnight visit to this great wine region. It was wonderful to sit outside the Terrace Cafe in the evening and simply gaze at the beauty of this lovely city. And, yes, our private tour to the St. Emilion area was fantastic!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pam

Contact Pam

Previous cruises: Marina Barcelona to Southampton (2017); Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords RT Amsterdam (2016); Riviera Sands & Shores (2016); Riviera Mayan Mystique (2015); Riviera Istanbul to Barcelona (2014); Riviera Caribbean Hideaways (2014); Azamara Quest Adriatic Venice RT (2013); Azamara Quest Barcelona to Rome (2012), Marina Copenhagen to Stockholm (2011), Regatta Venice to Barcelona (2010), Nautica Athens to Rome (2009), Nautica Istanbul to Athens (2008)
North Florida
320 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Wow, the timing of trips up the Garonne varies a lot. We went up the river on Nautica a week or so before the Marina in September early in the morning (it is a long trip) but the ship went to Le Verdon the next morning while we were touring and we returned there. The Garonne is interesting but I would rather have docked both days in Verdon and had more time touring there is so much to see. OTOH, many had nice dinners and around Bordeaux during the overnight and it really is a beautiful city.