Questions about Wildlife Conservation Center and cruise transfer

cherryharley

Looking at options for our cruise transfer from Whittier to Anchorage in May. Originally we wanted to take the train just because none of us have ridden a train, but it doesn't leave until afternoon. It appears the only thing to do while waiting would be a cruise of PWS and we are not sure we want to do another small boat cruise (have one in Juneau).

The big bus website say they are the only ones with a bathroom but I read on here that they don't actually let people use it. That can't be right, can it?

We definitely want to see the Wildlife Conservation Center and will be renting a car in Anchorage to drive up to Denali for a few days. Would it be better to take a direct transfer and then drive back down to the WCC, or is it "worth it" to stop during the transfer? I know the cost is the same but I worry that there will be 1000 people there at the same time getting off buses and shuttles and we won't really get to see the animals for the crowds.

If you have taken the train, big bus, small shuttle, or stopped on a transfer at the WCC please let us know what your experience was.

Edited by cherryharley
wording mistake

We have Bearpaw Transportation booked and we will be stopping at WCC and also Alyeska Mountain for the tram ride up and having lunch. They have been excellent to answer emails promptly and create the transfer with the stops we would like to see and adding time for others.

Looking at options for our cruise transfer from Whittier to Anchorage in May. Originally we wanted to take the train just because none of us have ridden a train, but it doesn't leave until afternoon. It appears the only thing to do while waiting would be a cruise of PWS and we are not sure we want to do another small boat cruise (have one in Juneau).

The big bus website say they are the only ones with a bathroom but I read on here that they don't actually let people use it. That can't be right, can it?

We definitely want to see the Wildlife Conservation Center and will be renting a car in Anchorage to drive up to Denali for a few days. Would it be better to take a direct transfer and then drive back down to the WCC, or is it "worth it" to stop during the transfer? I know the cost is the same but I worry that there will be 1000 people there at the same time getting off buses and shuttles and we won't really get to see the animals for the crowds.

If you have taken the train, big bus, small shuttle, or stopped on a transfer at the WCC please let us know what your experience was.

I don't find the Wildlife Conservatory a place that gets "crowded" so no, I wouldn't waste my time back tracking, especially if you are short on time? It's an hour stop for many "tours" so people move along.

There is no comparison with any boat tour you are doing in Juneau with PWS. (or any cruise ship transit). If of interest it certainly is very worthwhile.

[quote=Budget Queen;54946066

There is no comparison with any boat tour you are doing in Juneau with PWS. (or any cruise ship transit). If of interest it certainly is very worthwhile.

Can you elaborate on the "no comparison" comment. We originally were going to take a half day tour with Lazy Otter Charters in PWS, but I was afraid it would be too similar to the Harv and Marv's whale watching cruise in Juneau.

Can you elaborate on the "no comparison" comment. We originally were going to take a half day tour with Lazy Otter Charters in PWS, but I was afraid it would be too similar to the Harv and Marv's whale watching cruise in Juneau.

PWS is all about glaciers, Auke Bay isn't. Scenery is different and even your glacier sailing from the cruise ship is lacking compared to any small boat tour. Wildlife is possible with sea otters pretty common out of Whittier, plus the variety birds. and usually a good look at a kittiwake rookery

Alaska Cruise Transfer worked great for us. Took bus in the morning, went to the Wildlife Conservation Center and on to Anchorage Airport to pick up rental car for do it ourselves Alaskan Land Tour.

I’m curious about your “do it yourself Alaskan land tour”! We wanted to do the same, but were tying to decide where to go! I’m overwhelmed! Can you share where you went and what was your favorite? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m curious about your “do it yourself Alaskan land tour”! We wanted to do the same, but were tying to decide where to go! I’m overwhelmed! Can you share where you went and what was your favorite? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are also planning a DIY land tour. We have a rental car reserved in Anchorage. Will check out Potter's Marsh, Earthquake Park and a few local establishments and spend the night in Anchorage the first night off the ship. Next morning bright and early we are driving to Denali, taking the whole day to get to our cabin in Healy, stopping for photos, etc. Staying in Healy May 31-June 3 and taking the non-narrated buses into Denali National Park June 1st and 2nd. They are cheaper than the tours and you can get off and explore on your own and catch another bus later. The road opens all the way to the Eielsen Visitor Center on June 1st.

• 3 weeks later...
PWS is all about glaciers, Auke Bay isn't. Scenery is different and even your glacier sailing from the cruise ship is lacking compared to any small boat tour. Wildlife is possible with sea otters pretty common out of Whittier, plus the variety birds. and usually a good look at a kittiwake rookery

Budget Queen, we've booked that PWS cruise. Thank you for the nudge I needed! :)