Large family cruise on Gem

ALS1214

We are taking a cruise with my son and his family with five children ages 7 months, 3 , 6, 11&13. On NCL Gem in July. They’ve traveled on airplanes, stayed at resorts etc and are well behaved. While we will help with the babies, the older kids are more than likely be in kids programs. I’m most concerted with the 3 year old who is non verbal autistic. He’s good with loud noises but embarkation / debarkation may weird him out. Hopefully special needs desk can help him .

Any suggestions on cruising with a large family.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

He'll be fine, I'm sure. Being with family is comforting. Boarding isn't a zoo...it's a line, like checking into a hotel, or going to a movie....not a big ruckus!

The 7 mo. old will have no services from the ship...so make sure you bring any and everything the baby will need. Include pediatric meds that MIGHT be needed. The ship sells NOTHING for babies! Ear aches, stuffy nose, tummy issues, fevers, rashes....bring all the "cures"! Start counting diapers about 3 weeks out, and bring extras! Wipes, and creams.....bring a blow up tub, if your cabin has only a shower. Many changes of clothes.....(my kids went thru pants like CRAZY at that age...leaks and such!)....bring comfort items, like blankets and favorite stuffed toy......you get the picture!

The other kid's will be fine...they'll be so busy and have a blast!

Talk to the special needs department well ahead of time. They may be able to assist with embarkation and debarkation, and can also do things like have a special muster drill separate from the big crowds for him and a parent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I would definitely take the advice to call NCL. My nephew is 19 and non verbal and loud noises and people can cause him much anxiety and he may melt down. Now he’s never cruised, but if your grandchild is sensitive to sound I would recommend ear plugs and/or noise canceling headphones. I noticed you said he’s good with sound but the muster alarm could be more than he’s used to. It may be good to keep him distracted during embarkation/demarkation with his favorite toy/device with favorite cartoon. Generally with him having his family there he should be good and comforted. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

On embarking let one adult go to the front, just announce that you have a special needs child and have a hard time with the lines.... we did this after waiting nearly an hour and having my nearly three year old starting to throw tantrums (he was still very jeglagged and it was nearing hsi bedtime).... The nice guy said that basically just having a tired kid wont get you anywhere...BUT if he kid is a danger to him or others he has to make sure the other passangers are protected....so he pulled us out with a wink and let us check in at teh special needs lane. You even have a "real" special need, so I think it will be no problem at all. Debarkation: was a mess.... there are actually two lanes, which noone told us, we lucked out and went to the fast one. A lady wiht a walker was behind us....however two wheelchair people where wheeled past us. So its probably again important to speak out.

Btw, we were my 75-year old mother, a bunch of us middle aged ones and my son, a week shy of his third birthday. The playroom is small but nice, not overloaded with toys. The childrens pool was awesome. My son LOVED the changing light fixture by O Sheenans...he watched it forever intensly. We will be next week on a TUI ship, if NCL would not have been so expensive we may have been again on one