What in the heck are "Smart Jeans"?

uilleann

The term Smart Jeans is used in the dress code guidlines. But there is no explanation of what that is. I searched for an hour on the internet and could only find one description. Levi's has developed a "smart jeans" that can interact with a blue tooth device to tell you if you are gaining weignt. I am not lieing.

I assume that Cunard is NOT refering to that. I finally found a clothing retailer in the UK ( I am in US). It had a whole section of "smart jeans" for sale. I looked at them.... they look like the blue jeans that I wear. I also looked at the "casual jeans" they seems a bit lighter in color but not all. Some of the "smart" ones were a bit faded. Levi's 501 is listed as a "smart' Jean. Overhere the 501 is a basic blue jean.

http://www.next.co.uk/shop/gender-men-category-jeans/use-smart

Has anyone from Cunard ever defined what a "smart Jean" is? Or are there any fashionistas who have attempted to define what it is? Or is there a general intrinsic UK knowledge of what a smart jean is?

My best guess is that "smart jeans" are not ones that are stained, tread bare, worn, and cut off. But these days you can spend A LOT of money to get , pre faded, pre thread bare jeans.

Confused.....

If you're referring to the daytime dress code, smart jeans are jeans that are new(ish) looking and untorn. But even that's not really an issue.

I'm sure you're aware that blue denim isn't acceptable after 6 PM per the dress code, smart !or not.

The term Smart Jeans is used in the dress code guidlines. But there is no explanation of what that is. I searched for an hour on the internet and could only find one description. Levi's has developed a "smart jeans" that can interact with a blue tooth device to tell you if you are gaining weignt. I am not lieing.

I assume that Cunard is NOT refering to that. I finally found a clothing retailer in the UK ( I am in US). It had a whole section of "smart jeans" for sale. I looked at them.... they look like the blue jeans that I wear. I also looked at the "casual jeans" they seems a bit lighter in color but not all. Some of the "smart" ones were a bit faded. Levi's 501 is listed as a "smart' Jean. Overhere the 501 is a basic blue jean.

http://www.next.co.uk/shop/gender-men-category-jeans/use-smart

Has anyone from Cunard ever defined what a "smart Jean" is? Or are there any fashionistas who have attempted to define what it is? Or is there a general intrinsic UK knowledge of what a smart jean is?

My best guess is that "smart jeans" are not ones that are stained, tread bare, worn, and cut off. But these days you can spend A LOT of money to get , pre faded, pre thread bare jeans.

Confused.....

To save any confusion regarding the style, or type, of jeans, suggest it is best to leave them at home.

To save any confusion regarding the style, or type, of jeans, suggest it is best to leave them at home.

If one left smart jeans at home that would leave a substantial amount of passengers undressed from the waist down during daytime hours :D

I always wear my Levi 527s for comfort during daytime, a slightly faded look but smart enough non the less not to raise any eyebrows.

Not at all.

Good quality jeans, jacket(sports coat) worn with shoes (often brogues) is a very on trend look for the well dressed male.

In the US, we call that "preppy" and I do admit that it is popular (though shoe choice might tend more toward "penny loafers" or saddle). As for being "on trend," I don't think it's ever been off trend. That was standard college wear back in the '60's (although the even more popular "uniform" was khakis with blue blazer).

I think that Cunard, knowing that this is a contentuous issue intentionally used a word that is nebulous to offer flexibility to passengers without alienating the diehard formalists? Can you imagine a ships officer coming up to a passenger and saying “ I am sorry sir but your jeans are not smart enough, you will have to change to smarter jeans”?

In the US, we call that "preppy" and I do admit that it is popular (though shoe choice might tend more toward "penny loafers" or saddle). As for being "on trend," I don't think it's ever been off trend. That was standard college wear back in the '60's (although the even more popular "uniform" was khakis with blue blazer).

Now in the UK this look appeared only around 5 years ago I reckon. Jackets only used to be worn at work or by older men and never with jeans. Now it's quite common to see blokes in there 30s and 40s with this look.

Having worked in the aviation industry, many airlines have a similar term (smart Jeans) for staff travel re: what is suitable and acceptable for our premium cabins.

The definition would be dark navy or black jeans.

Not frayed, ripped or torn and without any additional decal.

They would be relatively new looking without excess colour loss/discolouration/fading at knees.

When embarking QM2 my choice of outfit is either Brogues or Oxford design smart shoes/Deck shoes navy or brown along with "smart navy jeans", shirt with jumper or suit jacket.

This is "Smart".

It's trendy and good looking.

It serves it's purpose.

how-smart-is-the-smart-car-image.jpg

"Smart" is a heavily overused marketing word to color a product that is actually not smart.

Think of "the first smart ship at sea" (Quantum of the Seas).

"Smart" means something different in the UK than it does in the U.S. Americans most often use "smart" to mean "intelligent," so when they called Quantum a smart ship, they meant it was technologically advanced. The terms for "smart" in the States are generally "dressy" or "business casual."

"Smart" means something different in the UK than it does in the U.S. Americans most often use "smart" to mean "intelligent," so when they called Quantum a smart ship, they meant it was technologically advanced. The terms for "smart" in the States are generally "dressy" or "business casual."

Huh?

The US is far too diverse (in every way) to make an overgeneralized attribution about the meaning of the word "smart." Depending on the context at hand, "smart" can mean technology, attire, injury (Ow! That smarts!), or that little wannabe car that is "the perfect gift for your last birthday."

BTW, SMART is also a mnemonic acronym used in management: Specific Measurable Attainable Relevant Time-bound.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Yanks in our household have long chuckled at the "smart jeans" term in the Cunard literature. We think of the adjective "smart" as applied to clothing as something said in the UK, and generally not a part of American English. Cute, quaint, and corny.

BTW, Levis, both black and blue, are a constant part of my wardrobe. I wear them frequently during the day on QM2 with no disapproving glances from either Miss Manners or Hyacinth Bucket. And I do carefully adhere to the dress code after 6:00.

Huh?

The US is far too diverse (in every way) to make an overgeneralized attribution about the meaning of the word "smart." Depending on the context at hand, "smart" can mean technology, attire, injury (Ow! That smarts!), or that little wannabe car that is "the perfect gift for your last birthday."

BTW, SMART is also a mnemonic acronym used in management: Specific Measurable Attainable Relevant Time-bound.

You're correct. I didn't say it was the only use; I just chose the most common one. In the States, it's a dated word to use when describing attire. I was also thinking it could be confusing for someone to hear a ship called "smart" if, to that person, "smart" means "not dressed like a slob."

The Yanks in our household have long chuckled at the "smart jeans" term in the Cunard literature. We think of the adjective "smart" as applied to clothing as something said in the UK, and generally not a part of American English. Cute, quaint, and corny.

BTW, Levis, both black and blue, are a constant part of my wardrobe. I wear them frequently during the day on QM2 with no disapproving glances from either Miss Manners or Hyacinth Bucket. And I do carefully adhere to the dress code after 6:00.

When looking at your cruise history, I notice you have done most days on ships, which I think would require some sort of dress code. I have never owned a pair of jeans not my style, nor can I understand how anybody can go for a evening meal wearing jeans. I have no problem with people wearing jeans, but they have a time and place to be worn.:rolleyes:

When looking at your cruise history, I notice you have done most days on ships, which I think would require some sort of dress code. I have never owned a pair of jeans not my style, nor can I understand how anybody can go for a evening meal wearing jeans. I have no problem with people wearing jeans, but they have a time and place to be worn.:rolleyes:

tv24 mentioned wearing jeans during the day not for an evening meal.

tv24 mentioned wearing jeans during the day not for an evening meal.

True tv24 did say jeans in the day but not worn after 6 00 pm, what I was trying to say was, I can not understand anybody wanting to wear jeans when going to dinner.;p

You're correct. I didn't say it was the only use; I just chose the most common one. In the States, it's a dated word to use when describing attire. I was also thinking it could be confusing for someone to hear a ship called "smart" if, to that person, "smart" means "not dressed like a slob."

I still think your original post was a bit confusing since you said "smart" meant tech in the U.S. AND dress in the U.S. ( perhaps you meant to say dress in the U.K.).

In any case: There is a word to describe a ship looking "smart" as well as being "smart." It is the traditional nautical term "Bristol."

You may be familiar with the term "shipshape," which generally means "tidy, neatly arranged." In the maritime world, "Bristol-fashion" references the English city of Bristol, a large ship-building and repair center, with a reputation for excellence. Basically, "it's Bristol" means "maintained in mint condition."

Finally, this thread reminds me of old Gillette razor ads on B&W TVs: "Look smart, be smart, feel smart - only way to get a decent shave."

I still think your original post was a bit confusing since you said "smart" meant tech in the U.S. AND dress in the U.S. ( perhaps you meant to say dress in the U.K.).

In any case: There is a word to describe a ship looking "smart" as well as being "smart." It is the traditional nautical term "Bristol."

You may be familiar with the term "shipshape," which generally means "tidy, neatly arranged." In the maritime world, "Bristol-fashion" references the English city of Bristol, a large ship-building and repair center, with a reputation for excellence. Basically, "it's Bristol" means "maintained in mint condition."

Finally, this thread reminds me of old Gillette razor ads on B&W TVs: "Look smart, be smart, feel smart - only way to get a decent shave."

To clarify, I said "smart" means "intelligent" in the U.S. Something that's technologically advanced can be considered intelligent -- as in A.I. When they called it a "smart" ship, they meant it was technologically advanced. I didn't say anything in my original post about "smart" referring to dress in America. What I said is that, instead of "smart" to describe nicer clothes, Americans usually say "dressy" or "business casual."

I hadn't heard the term "Bristol" before, apart from the name of the city. You've taught me something new! :)