What to do in Vigo, Spain????

Best thing you could do in that stop is to take the tour to Santiago de Compostela, a little over an hour from Vigo. It is IMO one of the jewels of Spain. Does your ship offer that tour?

Thank you. I haven't checked on the ship tours, yet, but I will.:)

Is there anything that anyone can suggest to see in Vigo? What other cities are near that might be interesting to see? Thanks for any help!:)
If you want my honest opinion I would stay on the ship !!!!!. There is nothing within walking distance of the ship that I am aware of that is worth seeing.

The only good trip I have heard about is the one that has already been mentioned...Santiago

While in Vigo, we toke the free store bus to a big department store and enjoyed free tapas and wine. To repay this hospitality, my dear wife purchased a cashmire sweater. We enjoyed a leisurely walk back to the ship (all downhill).

After returning my dear wife to the ship, I took a taxi to the fort on the hilltop and had a good time exploring and seeing the great harbor views. Many of our Cruise Critic friends happened to be on a tour at the same place and time. One of the guys joined me in an easy walk (all downhill) back to the ship. We stopped and visited a church and also the city fish market on the way back. It was an inexpensive, interesting and easy day.

• 2 weeks later...

Vigo was the last port stop on our cruise. We knew we would be exhausted by then, and didn't want to make the long journey to Santiago. Instead, we hired a guide to pick us up and take us on a tour of Baiona and an afternoon walking tour of Vigo. Baiona is a charming seaside village. Some things to see there are Our Lady of the Rock statue (you can climb inside to an observation deck), Monterreal Fortress, Caravel Pinta Museum, Meeting of the Two Worlds Monument, Arrival Memorial and Plaques, the Watery Well (the crew of the Pinta took water for their journey from here). There is also an old town and seaside promenade with shops and restaurants. Afterwards, we drove back to Vigo and stopped at the Parque do Castro for panoramic views over Vigo. We parked the van near the Rua de Principe, a shopping area, and began our walking tour. We walked through the plazas in the old town, through the seafood market, and had lunch, then walked across the street to the ship. We had an enjoyable day. If I went back, I would spend the day in Baiona. We were there in July, and an important thing to know is that ship time is different than port time. 9 a.m. ship time is 10 a.m. Vigo time.

We'll be in Vigo, Spain for one day in May. I would love to hear from anyone who has visited Vigo, or who knows anything about what to do and see in Vigo. Thanks for any help.:)

We took the Princess Cruise Lines sponsored shore excurison - Bayona La Real. A video made during this tour have been posted on YouTube.

Click on the link below for information that will lead you to the video.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=926243

Cruzer Two

Best thing you could do in that stop is to take the tour to Santiago de Compostela, a little over an hour from Vigo. It is IMO one of the jewels of Spain.
I agree with this.

You don't need to go on a ship's tour. You can go by public transport (CC member keltic comes from Santiago and has lots of good information about this); or rent a car and drive yourself there, giving yourself much more flexibility than being tied to a ship's tour (I've done this twice from La Coruna, which is the same distance from Santiago as Vigo).

• 2 weeks later...
Yvie, do you recall the name of the private tour company you hired for your day in Vigo?

That sounds like the kind of day we might enjoy there.

Thanks!

Kim

Our driver/guide was Brendan from Guided Galicia. His website lists several tours to choose from, or you can tell him what your interests are and he will design a customized tour. Brendan is originally from New Zealand, speaks perfect english (of course), and provided a recent model vehicle for us to tour in. We felt as though we had an old friend showing us around. You can contact him through www.guidedgalicia.blogspot.com .

Queenk2, do you remember which rental car company you used... and where their office was?

Yvie, I sent Brendan an email to see if he is available the day we will be there and what the tour would cost if he is.

Private tours are great, but with 13 ports of call, our excursion budget is being stretched pretty thin!

Thanks!

Kim

I know that we rented from hertz , however I do not know where they were located..my husband and a friend picked up the car. I imagine that if you called the international number they could give you better information!

Karen

Archived