Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:20 PM.
Tennessee
17 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
I don't know why I didn't think to ask the question earlier. How is the Verizon service in Anchorage (pre-cruise), and in the port cities - Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coral Princess - September 2018
22 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
We had Verizon service at Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway no problem. Aug11th through the 18th.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tiffany

May 13th, 2010 Carnival Sensation "You Only Turn 40 Once" trip with the girls!
Feb 2017 Carnival Liberty Fun in the sun with the hubby!
Aug of 2018 Ruby Princess Our 25th Wedding Anniversary trip!
7 Posts
Joined Aug 2018
Verizon service was pretty good for our land portion of the cruise as well. Inside Denali park the cell reception drops a bit. But at the major places on land, Verizon was just great with 4G grade service. At sea is at sea however. Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan ports of call all had service in town.

My inlaws that traveled with us have some other phone company and it was not nearly as good coverage.
927 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
In August, service was great in Juneau, Ketchikan (Totem Bight + Ward Creek and Lake trails), and Anchorage + Seward Highway to Portage Valley Recreation Area. (Did not visit Skagway).
181 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
We didn't have any issues with cell service and we have Verizon too. In fact, the kids called Grandma and Grandpa back home in Minnesota while we were at Mendenhall Glacier, just to say "Grandma! I see a glacier!" We had service going in and out of port too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Soon - Med Cruise in 2020 - cruise line TBD

Past sailings:
RCCL Radiance of the Seas - Northbound Alaska (Inside Passage) - August 2018

Celebrity Equinox - 10 day Southern Caribbean - March 2015
Carnival Dream - Western Caribbean - March 2011
Big Red Boat - 1993 - maybe
North Carolina
6,153 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
We had good coverage with Verizon in the larger ports (Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka), not so much in smaller places (Wrangell, Haines, Icy Strait Point). It was nice for me to be forced to shut off

We did not opt for internet on the ship, and for the most part I didn't read my work emails - just posted a couple photos on facebook now and then and caught up afterwards.

There were ports where we could use the telephone but no data (including texting), which was sort of odd, but oh well. We survived just fine without it. (though we REALLY needed to find one of the 2-3 spots at Icy Strait Point where we had coverage to email my in-laws and ask them to get some extra fuel for us as we flew home from Alaska straight into Hurricane Florence prep )
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Seabourn 11 night Alaska 8/31/2018
Azamara 10 night Thailand/Vietnam Nov 2016
Avalon Vista Christmas Market 12/2014
Pacific Princess 12 day Black Sea 9/4/11

HAL Westerdam 15 day Panama Canal 10/08
Pacific Princess Alaska 9/5/2007

HAL Maasdam Southern Caribbean 10/28/06
HAL Alaska 1986
Tennessee
17 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
We did have great coverage on land EXCEPT when we arrived in Vancouver. I just used the WiFi in the hotel there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coral Princess - September 2018
North Carolina
6,153 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by countingmomma
We did have great coverage on land EXCEPT when we arrived in Vancouver. I just used the WiFi in the hotel there.
Interesting - we had no problem with Verizon in Vancouver Aug 28-31.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Seabourn 11 night Alaska 8/31/2018
Azamara 10 night Thailand/Vietnam Nov 2016
Avalon Vista Christmas Market 12/2014
Pacific Princess 12 day Black Sea 9/4/11

HAL Westerdam 15 day Panama Canal 10/08
Pacific Princess Alaska 9/5/2007

HAL Maasdam Southern Caribbean 10/28/06
HAL Alaska 1986