Gluten Free Dining in Australia?

We'll be doing a 15 Day DIY land tour of Australia (Adelaide, Wilpena, Uluru, Cairns, and Sydney) post cruise next April. We're not always ones to eat at higher end restaurants (like small, casual cafes/diners and such). How common is it for eateries of all levels to offer GF options? Even things as simple as GF soy sauce in Asian diners?

Thanks,

Greg

We'll be doing a 15 Day DIY land tour of Australia (Adelaide, Wilpena, Uluru, Cairns, and Sydney) post cruise next April. We're not always ones to eat at higher end restaurants (like small, casual cafes/diners and such). How common is it for eateries of all levels to offer GF options? Even things as simple as GF soy sauce in Asian diners?

Thanks,

Greg

G'day Greg, I am a coeliac so have to avoid that gluten !! So I know how difficult it is to eat when travelling and I have travelled worldwide. Most good restaurants will have menus marked with gf dishes and/or chefs who are conversant with the gf requirements in cuisine. Lower end restaurants/cafes not so easy. I like Asian food but have found the language barrier and knowledge re gf cooking by Asian cooks is often lacking. Beware of the soy sauce, contains wheat, yet to find gf soy sauce in a restaurant although it is available in supermarkets. Also ask for rice noodles. Some restaurants will have gf pasta. Some hotels will have gf bread available for toast at breakfast.

Avoid things like fried dim sims, spring rolls they are usually battered using wheat flour. The hot chips (french fries) are sometimes coated in beer batter or flour here, check on that. There are sites you can google re gluten free dining say in Sydney or other capital cities here. Uluru resorts and Cairns restaurants would have a reasonable choice of gf items. Just ask.

Above all, enjoy.

Edited by NSWP

Thanks everyone, appreciate the info. Sounds much like here. We favor places here that do not dust or batter their fries here. Our higher end Asian restaurants here usually have gf soy sauce or even Tamari (my favorite). Good tip about getting gf Soy Sauce, at local grocery store.

Again thanks to everyone for your reassurance.

Greg

Most restaurant menus will have GF written beside items, along with plenty of other allergy symbols.

Cafes - just ask what they have on offer. Or check the labels next to any food in the display cabinets.

No such thing as diners here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a diner in Summer Bay :)

There is a diner in Summer Bay :)

I would classify the Golden Arches as a 'diner' hundreds of them in Straya. Add KFC, Hungry Jacks, Burger King, Oportos, Red Rooster and a plethora of other health food establishments. :')

Back to the topic then....If going to Maccas for a GF meal just ask for the burger without the bun, or as I do take your own GF bun or couple of slices of GF bread into the said 'diner' and make your own.

I would classify the Golden Arches as a 'diner' hundreds of them in Straya. Add KFC, Hungry Jacks, Burger King, Oportos, Red Rooster and a plethora of other health food establishments. :')

Back to the topic then....If going to Maccas for a GF meal just ask for the burger without the bun, or as I do take your own GF bun or couple of slices of GF bread into the said 'diner' and make your own.

Yes I love my deconstructed Subways.

The GF hotdog rolls in Woolies and Coles are only about 4 inches long, I would need to glue 3 together to construct a footlong Subway.:rolleyes: Sad I know.:o

Yes as well as being super expensive

,I travel with disposable plate and fork and just enjoy the salad, I am not super sensitive so I just empty it off the roll and end up with a heaped up plate you would be surprised

Cheers Carole

Yes as well as being super expensive

,I travel with disposable plate and fork and just enjoy the salad, I am not super sensitive so I just empty it off the roll and end up with a heaped up plate you would be surprised

Cheers Carole

Do you know you can just order a salad bowl from Subway? That way you can get the contents of the what goes in the bread served up a bit more nicely and avoid the waste of tossing the roll.

Do you know you can just order a salad bowl from Subway? That way you can get the contents of the what goes in the bread served up a bit more nicely and avoid the waste of tossing the roll.

I was pig to say the same, price of a 6” a lot of salad, meat if you wish. When I’m going low carb a great option.

Yes hubby doesn’t mind having the other half of the 12 inch roll as well

Cheers

I was pig to say the same, price of a 6” a lot of salad, meat if you wish. When I’m going low carb a great option.

I've just had one now for lunch and they weren't being shy on the portion control - I reckon they packed the contents of a 12" roll into my container. ;p;p;p

Thanks,

Greg

Beware of cornflour though, Greg. It is often made from wheat! In Australia "cornflour" only refers to the fine milled state. In Asian restaurants you will need to ask if they use maize flour because bulk suppliers use the cheaper wheaten cornflour. Corn starch means corn however. Indian restaurants are usually safer as they use gram flour (chickpeas). Unlike many ships I've been on which use wheat flour in curries. You can always be very good when traveling and eat salad and carry fruit. But how boring!

Indeed you can, I had a bowl of Subway salad with ham and cheese all GF on Thursday at Manly, after ye olde Manly Ferry ride.:hearteyes:

BTW I recommend 'City Extra' at Circular Quay, opposite the Ferries. I had a massive Mixed grill there for $36 on Thursday evening before the Evita musical @ Opera House. Steak, Sausages, Bacon, Chicken Wings, chips, salad, the whole business. I was full as a goog, could not fit in an icecream even.

Edited by NSWP

Beware of cornflour though, Greg. It is often made from wheat! In Australia "cornflour" only refers to the fine milled state. In Asian restaurants you will need to ask if they use maize flour because bulk suppliers use the cheaper wheaten cornflour. Corn starch means corn however. Indian restaurants are usually safer as they use gram flour (chickpeas). Unlike many ships I've been on which use wheat flour in curries. You can always be very good when traveling and eat salad and carry fruit. But how boring!

Rice Flour is a safe alternative, some Asian eateries use that, just ask.:cool: