How much Travel Insurance Should I Purchase for a Bahamas Cruise?

Ziggy256

My husband and I are going on a Bahamas Cruise and I would like to know what the recommended coverage is. We are both on Medicare. I am especially concerned about Medical Evacuation Coverage and Emergency Medical Coverage. Our last 2 cruises were to New England/Canada and Panama Canal. On those cruises we had Medical of $250,000 and Emergency Assistance and Transportation of $1,000,000. What are the recommended coverage for a Bahamas Cruise?

I don't know what the recommendations would be. All I can give you is what happened to me in the Bahamas last November.

I fell in Nassau Bahamas and broke my hip requiring surgery which I had there. I was then flown back to Jacksonville Florida by air ambulance. It cost $13,000. I had $25,000 on medical evacuation coverage. This was a last minute cruise and I had just paid for cruise line insurance. Before I always have gotten third party insurance for ports further away.

As most people suggest, talk to a third party insurance person to get best advice. My Humana Medicare plan pays for out of country medical costs so also check with your plan. That may help you decide on insurance coverage limits.