Cabo San Lucas Hurricane Damage

AliMar

The destruction left behind by Hurricane Odile in Cabo San Lucas and surrounding areas is heartbreaking. Cabo is a special place and we have enjoyed visiting there many times in the past. We depart on the Coral out of LA on 9/23 for the Panama Canal. Our first port stop is Cabo. I know a lot of clean up and repair work can be done in a week and I would imagine that as long as there is power and the tender docks are okay, we will stop there as scheduled. I would think they need our tourist dollars now more than ever. Anyone have any thoughts on this? We are prepared either way, just wondering what may or may not happen...

Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone on the Baja Peninsula. They took a direct hit in Cabo San Lucas. The destruction is unbelievable. We have many friends there are are very concerned about their well being.

We are cruising on 10/1 to Cabo, LaPaz and Loreto . Needless to say, we are preparing ourselves not to be able to get to any of these ports. The airport in Cabo is not scheduled to open until 10/10!!! There are 26,000 tourists in Cabo with no way to leave. I have been tuned to the Weather Channel for two days. Hurricane Polo is on it's way up the coast!! Scary indeed.

Denise

Edited by dchip
Added content

Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone on the Baja Peninsula. They took a direct hit in Cabo San Lucas. The destruction is unbelievable. We have many friends there are are very concerned about their well being.

We are cruising on 10/1 to Cabo, LaPaz and Loreto . Needless to say, we are preparing ourselves not to be able to get to any of these ports. The airport in Cabo is not scheduled to open until 10/10!!! There are 26,000 tourists in Cabo with no way to leave. I have been tuned to the Weather Channel for two days. Hurricane Polo is on it's way up the coast!! Scary indeed.

Denise

About 12 years ago we were in Puerto Vallarta about 4 months after a major hurricane hit. A tidal wave had wiped out the main street along the shore. Yet, when we were there things were getting back to normal. They were very glad to have us down there and we could see some of the work being done to rebuild.

Cabo was hit hard, but it will come back.

About 12 years ago we were in Puerto Vallarta about 4 months after a major hurricane hit. A tidal wave had wiped out the main street along the shore. Yet, when we were there things were getting back to normal. They were very glad to have us down there and we could see some of the work being done to rebuild.

Absolutely, but I don't think it will be in the next two and half weeks! :D We are also scheduled to go to Puerto Vallarta. Maybe we will spend more time there if the Baja isn't ready for us.

Today the hotels were asking tourists to please cancel their reservations. :eek:

Cheers, Denise

Princess has such great timing - NOT!

Today they sent out email to the people who are booked on my November sailing to Cabo, Loreto, La Paz...

We're thrilled that you've chosen to book a shore excursion with the destination experts. For your convenience, we're pleased to offer you the ability to pre-pay for shore excursions online via Cruise Personalizer. We'd also like to encourage you to look for additional excursions in other ports on your upcoming cruise.

The mail went on from there but the timing of this really stinks. Do they not get the news?

The destruction left behind by Hurricane Odile in Cabo San Lucas and surrounding areas is heartbreaking. Cabo is a special place and we have enjoyed visiting there many times in the past. We depart on the Coral out of LA on 9/23 for the Panama Canal. Our first port stop is Cabo. I know a lot of clean up and repair work can be done in a week and I would imagine that as long as there is power and the tender docks are okay, we will stop there as scheduled. I would think they need our tourist dollars now more than ever. Anyone have any thoughts on this? We are prepared either way, just wondering what may or may not happen...

I'm on the September 27th Panama Canal cruise from San Francisco on the Island also stoping in Cabo. If you hear anything please let us know and we'll do the same.

Here's the response from Princess about the port stop of Cabo. Princess Cruises wrote: "Hi Tom, we are currently assessing the situation. At this time the itinerary has not been changed, but any updates/changes will be communicated with our passengers and travel agents ASAP. We look forward to welcoming you onboard Island Princess!"

Tom:)

I'm on the September 27th Panama Canal cruise from San Francisco on the Island also stoping in Cabo. If you hear anything please let us know and we'll do the same.

Here's the response from Princess about the port stop of Cabo. Princess Cruises wrote: "Hi Tom, we are currently assessing the situation. At this time the itinerary has not been changed, but any updates/changes will be communicated with our passengers and travel agents ASAP. We look forward to welcoming you onboard Island Princess!"

Thanks for that info Tom. Did you contact Princess on FB? I keep checking our booking to see if there are any notices.

Any info we get, will be shared for sure. Thinking of all of those folks affected by the storm and pray the next one blows out to sea!!

Cheers, Denise

Here on the Gulf Coast, we are familiar with taking a Cat 3 direct hit. Power is out for weeks, communication lines and trees down everywhere, drinking water hard to come by. It will take longer than a couple of weeks for a recovery. It can take months and months for full recovery, and the images I have seen have not been pretty. We were blessed to have electricians and workers from all over the U.S. come to help, but no idea how it will be in Mexico. Since tourism is a mainstay, they will work hard to restore the resorts and beachfronts, but it will take a while.

Edited by MaChere

Thanks for that info Tom. Did you contact Princess on FB? I keep checking our booking to see if there are any notices.

Any info we get, will be shared for sure. Thinking of all of those folks affected by the storm and pray the next one blows out to sea!!

Cheers, Denise

Yes.....I used FB as I have found that they monitor that site often and it's a good way to contact them as I did 2 days ago.

Princess has such great timing - NOT!

Today they sent out email to the people who are booked on my November sailing to Cabo, Loreto, La Paz...

We're thrilled that you've chosen to book a shore excursion with the destination experts. For your convenience, we're pleased to offer you the ability to pre-pay for shore excursions online via Cruise Personalizer. We'd also like to encourage you to look for additional excursions in other ports on your upcoming cruise.

The mail went on from there but the timing of this really stinks. Do they not get the news?

It was most assuredly an automated email. And yeah, I'm sure the tour operators would want to make sure they had some revenue lined up...

FYI, a few years back there was a cyclone in the South Pacific and a Princess ship delivered tons of much needed supplies. That might be the case for ships calling in Baja...

FYI, a few years back there was a cyclone in the South Pacific and a Princess ship delivered tons of much needed supplies. That might be the case for ships calling in Baja...

That would be wonderful if we could help out!!

Cheers, Denise

We were in PV at Christmas in 2002 and experienced the same thing.

Some photos of the damage in Cabo San Lucas. A lot of houses, hotels, beaches, roads are damaged.

https://www.facebook.com/campos.josue/media_set?set=a.875810892430953.1073741833.100000061516698&type=1

Too bad there might be another hurrican Polo on its way on the pacific coast of Mexico. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Edited by Ine

Thank you for the information, Tom. I'll also post if/when I receive further details from Princess.

Some photos of the damage in Cabo San Lucas. A lot of houses, hotels, beaches, roads are damaged.

https://www.facebook.com/campos.josue/media_set?set=a.875810892430953.1073741833.100000061516698&type=1

Too bad there might be another hurrican Polo on its way on the pacific coast of Mexico. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Thanks for the link to these photos. The destruction and damage is worse than I had originally realized. My heart just breaks for the people here. I can't imagine how it must feel knowing another storm is brewing and seemingly headed your way. Hopefully it turns and goes out to sea.

I posted on FB and got this answer. I guess we have to wait and see. I just can't imagine 2,600 people getting off a ship when the area is devastated. Watching the Weather Channel, the photos coming in are unreal. So very sad.

Hi Denise, we are currently assessing the situation. At this time the itinerary has not been changed, but any updates/changes will be communicated with our passengers and travel agents ASAP. We look forward to welcoming you onboard Star Princess!

Cheers, Denise

Edited by dchip

We fully expect a change in this cruise due to the circumstances. It's unfortunate but we will go with the flow.

Without a shadow of a doubt. We, too, will go with the flow. I just hope we go somewhere in Mexico. We have a coastal scheduled as a B2B. :D

Cheers, Denise

The pictures make me sad, so much devastation in such a beautiful place :(. We sail on 10/4 and I can't imagine them keeping the same itinerary but according to the response I got on John Healds FB page, there are no changes at this time.

During the 5 pm PST.. weather channel news a reporter who is waiting to leave Cabo provided some very interesting info. He decided to go out and look around. There is heavy looting, plus the police are looting also. Yes, their very own police. There is more than one hurricane coming through, actually there is two.

We booked a back to back (20 days total) over a year ago on the Grand for Oct. 20 & 30, 2014 mainly because of the new Mecican ports we had never been to. We also convinced other friends to join us on either cruise. So now we are all patiently waiting for the changes.

Cabo has always been one of our favorite ports. There is no way they will recover in time for our cruises.