Whisper WC'15, especially Africa

PaulaJK

We are looking at 2 segments of the WC [includes Indian Ocean ports & some of Africa]. Would appreciate any comments about SS world cruises, segmenting and port visits to Africa. One segment includes days in Kenya [now w a significant security alert] & Tanzania. We have some familiarity with SS and also CPT.

Hi Paula,

Wellseasoned (a veteran SS cruiser) is booked on the Whisper 2015 CPT to FLL segment; both Dieter and Debbie can't wait to enjoy this seggie...hopefully he will post his thoughts.

best, Wes

Paula, I like most of the ports on your itinerary. It's a lot of Africa so as long as you are fine with that it will be a good cruise.

I didn't care for Tanzania. I would avoid a tour of the downtown area. It is the first time I have left a tour in the middle of it. I know people who were on another similar tour sponsored by their travel consortium and did the same.

In terms of Kenya, I am not sure if I would get off the ship. I have been there before and now would be more concerned as a tourist.

Again, other ports are great with lots to see in many of them.

Keith

We are looking at 2 segments of the WC [includes Indian Ocean ports & some of Africa]. Would appreciate any comments about SS world cruises, segmenting and port visits to Africa. One segment includes days in Kenya [now w a significant security alert] & Tanzania. We have some familiarity with SS and also CPT.

Appreciate the good follow-ups by CC Board superstars Wes and Keith. We are now booked on the Silver Whisper for March 23-April 5, 2015, for the Mombasa to Cape Town segment of this World Cruise. We are planning on doing some safari options in Kenya before doing this 13-day cruise, including stops in Zanzibar, Madagascar, South Africa, etc. Then, we would finish with several Botswana-Victoria Falls safari stops and other adventures.

Like Paula, I am looking for these and any other comments, tips, ideas. Keep it coming and flowing for the good insights and suggestions. From people who have been to Africa, we understand it can be very dramatic and spectacular. BUT, that there are also aspects that can be somewhat jarring and third-worldish, etc. As I see media coverage that might be of interest, I am posting it on the Africa CC Board and/or on the earlier SS Board thread at:

Silver Whisper, Africa, Details, Options??

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2028947

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 146,129 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks to all.

Terry, this is the same leg we are interested in but we are too security-concerned to stay in Mombasa, Kenya pre cruise so have been looking at including the previous segment which embarks in Singapore [We have visited most of those ports previously.] ---or---taking an organized safari. I remain interested in your and others' thoughts/experiences. Paula

Thanks to all. Terry, this is the same leg we are interested in but we are too security-concerned to stay in Mombasa, Kenya pre cruise so have been looking at including the previous segment which embarks in Singapore [We have visited most of those ports previously.] ---or---taking an organized safari. I remain interested in your and others' thoughts/experiences. Paula

Appreciate this added follow-up from Paula. Our plan is NOT to stay overnight in Mombasa. We would be in Nairobi and at the Maasai Mara National Reserve doing safari experiences. Then, the morning of our cruise departure, March 23, we would fly from Nairobi direct to the Mombasa airport. Then immediately to the ship/docking area. Our plan is keep our time in Mombasa at a minimum. Nothing is perfect or 100%, but we believe this helps to minimize the risks, depending on how future "activities" evolve.

Hope this helps! We encourage you and others to consider joining us on this exciting "adventure". BUT, not too dramatic to get in the middle of the wrong kinds of danger.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 63,615 views for this fun posting.

In getting ready for our March-April 2015 Africa adventure, including Kenya, Zanzibar, Madagascar, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana, here are some examples of our “work” in preparing. First, are some of the library books that have been checked out to read and research these areas and the many options there to consider. Not as many travel books are possible for Africa compared to what is available for most parts of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc. The next two pictures are from our Columbus Zoo (like in Jack Hanna) that just opened this spring a new “Heart of Africa” area. You can see the cute giraffes in their open, natural area and one of the signs in this area based on the flag of Kenya. Cute and interesting?:

AfricaGetReady3_zpsffaaee8f.jpg

AfricaGetReady1_zps99dd262a.jpg

AfricaGetReady2_zpse175ee01.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

• 3 months later...

In case you haven't heard....I'm sure you will soon!

The World Cruise itinerary changes are now posted on Silversea's website.

6 port days in Africa are now changed to 7 new port days, including an extra day in Cape Town.

http://www.silversea.com/worldcruise2015/itinerary/

Didn't see a roll call for 5 January 2015 on the Whisper, so posting here.

In case you haven't heard....I'm sure you will soon! The World Cruise itinerary changes are now posted on Silversea's website. 6 port days in Africa are now changed to 7 new port days, including an extra day in Cape Town.

http://www.silversea.com/worldcruise2015/itinerary/

Didn't see a roll call for 5 January 2015 on the Whisper, so posting here.

Appreciate this "heads-up" about this sailing change. Had never heard of either Saint Helena and/or the Ascension Islands. Had to look them up and learn something new this morning. Agree 100% that the previously-schedule stops in western Africa had to be dropped. Not sure I'd be totally happy with the range of options to see and do for Saint Helena/Ascension Islands.

Fortunately things are still fairly "stable" for the Mombasa/Kenya, etc., stops in eastern Africa before getting to South Africa and Cape Town.

Sadly, we had to scrub out plans for the late March to early April 2015 Silver Whisper sailing from Kenya's Mombasa to Cape Town. The challenges about getting to Kenya, worrying on health and safety unknowns were too, too much for my wife. She's a Registered Nurse and believes that some are not being "realistic" about many parts of these issues and the risks.

We are now getting ready for a Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days on the Silversea Silver Cloud. Feel better about the Carib and these parts of the world.

We hope in early 2016 to do a Cape Town round-trip, ten-day sailing for the South Africa areas only on the Silver Cloud. Want to avoid needing to do too much in central Africa. Right now eastern Africa is not bogged down with ebola as is happening in western Africa. BUT, things are too "fluid" now (pun sadly intended). We will all hope and pray for the best in Africa and around the world.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 160,115 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks to all.

Terry, this is the same leg we are interested in but we are too security-concerned to stay in Mombasa, Kenya pre cruise so have been looking at including the previous segment which embarks in Singapore [We have visited most of those ports previously.] ---or---taking an organized safari. I remain interested in your and others' thoughts/experiences. Paula

Quick note, my partner and I did stay in Mombasa for two days. The hotel had armed guards at night patrolling the grounds and said it better that we not leave the hotel during the day. We spent about 35 days on Silver Cloud in and around Africa. Probably our best trip ever, the crew was simply beyond wonderful and our fellow ship mates just the most interesting people . Took a flight to Phinda Game Camp and toured the wine country. Just a gentle month in December.

t

Thanks to all.

Quick note, my partner and I did stay in Mombasa for two days. The hotel had armed guards at night patrolling the grounds and said it better that we not leave the hotel during the day. We spent about 35 days on Silver Cloud in and around Africa. Probably our best trip ever, the crew was simply beyond wonderful and our fellow ship mates just the most interesting people . Took a flight to Phinda Game Camp and toured the wine country. Just a gentle month in December.

t

St Helena is a fascinating place to visit. The town is a perfectly preserved Georgian gem and of course there is the replica of the house in which Napoleon died. The scenery is also wonderful. It is one of the most unusual places in there world to visit, though a word of warning - big ships such as the SS Whisper may have problems landing passengers as the landing stage is literally less than 10 feet across and the South Atlantic waves come crashing in most days. An expedition ship such as Silver Discoverer/Explorer wouldn't have a problem.

Ascension is basically a volcanic slag-heap, a huge military airbase and a BBC monitoring station. Tourism isn't organised and doesn't really exist at all. However, I had a great day there. Landing is just as tricky as St Helena.

Both islands are British Overseas Territories.

Edited by Fletcher

St Helena is a fascinating place to visit. The town is a perfectly preserved Georgian gem and of course there is the replica of the house in which Napoleon died. The scenery is also wonderful. It is one of the most unusual places in there world to visit, though a word of warning - big ships such as the SS Whisper may have problems landing passengers as the landing stage is literally less than 10 feet across and the South Atlantic waves come crashing in most days. An expedition ship such as Silver Discoverer/Explorer wouldn't have a problem.

Ascension is basically a volcanic slag-heap, a huge military airbase and a BBC monitoring station. Tourism isn't organised and doesn't really exist at all. However, I had a great day there. Landing is just as tricky as St Helena.

Both islands are British Overseas Territories.

Agree that St. Helena and its inhabitants are fascinating. Never thought we would visit there again, but there you have it. We are still talking about St. Helena 6 years after we were there.

OTH the cancellation of the West African ports on the next WC is a major disappointment to me, having booked the excursion to walk into the jungle looking for gorillas. Probably the last thing on my personal bucket list. But best be safe.

. . . the cancellation of the West African ports on the next WC is a major disappointment to me, having booked the excursion to walk into the jungle looking for gorillas. Probably the last thing on my personal bucket list. But best be safe.

Your chances of seeing gorillas off a cruise ship excursion are the same as meeting Greta Garbo in the bush. Unless they are in some sort of zoo such as the orang-utans in Borneo.

Your chances of seeing gorillas off a cruise ship excursion are the same as meeting Greta Garbo in the bush. Unless they are in some sort of zoo such as the orang-utans in Borneo.

Well, Fletcher, for what they are charging for that excursion they better produce at least a guy in a monkey suit. It is a land trip, off the ship for a few days. I just checked and it is still on, only now we will leave from Capetown and rejoin the ship in Luanda:

05MIDCPT-H Gorillas in the Forest

For Guests In-transit V4507/V4508

Departure: April 4, 2015

Duration: 6 Days/5 Nights

Guests continuing in Cape Town to the next cruise have the opportunity to experience a true adventure of a special kind at Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp. Track mountain gorillas at this exclusive, tented camp that is frequently visited by gorilla families due to its unique location. Interact with the local community through the staff at the camp, with an opportunity to meet the local Batwa Pygmies. Take away memories of a lifetime.

DAY 1: Cape Town - Johannesburg - Entebbe

This morning disembark from the Ship and transfer to the Airport. Fly Cape Town / Johannesburg / Entebbe. Upon arrival in Entebbe, you will be met by our local representative and driven to Lake Victoria Serena Resort.

Dinner and overnight at the Hotel - Lake Victoria Serena Resort- Entebbe

DAY 2: Entebbe - Bwindi

After an early breakfast, transfer the airport for the scheduled morning flight to Bwindi.

You will be met on arrival at Kihihi airstrip and transferred to Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp, a drive of about 1.5 hours.

Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp lies at the edge of the forest within Bwindi National Park. Bwindi is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the natural habitat for just over half the world's last surviving population of mountain gorillas, as well as to chimpanzee, and over 300 species of birds and other forest creatures.

Accommodation at the camp is in eight large 'tents', with two queen-sized beds, en-suite bathrooms and the amazing experience of a bathtub looking out onto the forest. Each tent has a large wooden deck where guests can relax or enjoy private dining. The main building overlooks the rain forest, and has a raised natural platform for dining under the stars.

Overnight at Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp- Bwindi National Park

DAY 3 and 4: Bwindi

The next two days' activities may be amongst the most exciting and challenging of our entire expedition. The Mountain Gorillas in Bwindi are part of a worldwide population of just 600 individuals. The gorillas we are allowed to track belong to either one of two habituated family groups. For up to five years each, these groups have undergone an extremely delicate process that has gradually brought them to tolerate the presence of humans for a brief period every day and allowed a few privileged visitors to interact with them in the wild.

The gorillas are by no means tame, and are completely wild animals. However, experienced guides will accompany us on our tracking, many of who have been involved in the habituation process themselves. The guides will use their knowledge of the gorillas' habits and information from the previous day to locate the group's whereabouts.

Because of this, the time taken to track the gorillas varies enormously, from as little as half an hour to as much as 9 hours before one returns to camp. Once the gorillas are located, our group will be allowed a maximum of one hour with them. This is one of the world's truly memorable experiences - a look into one of these magnificent creatures' eyes brings home the bond that exists between them and us. It also brings home the poignant fact that they are on the edge of extinction, and that our presence here contributes to ensuring their continued survival. The hour is often over all too quickly, and we slowly make our way back to camp to recount the day's adventures.

Overnight at Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp- Bwindi National Park

DAY 5: Bwindi - Entebbe

Enjoy breakfast at the camp. Thereafter transfer to the airstrip for your morning return flight to Entebbe.

On arrival, you will be met and transferred to Lake Victoria Serena Resort.Rest of the day is free for you to spend as you wish, with lunch and dinner at the hotel.

Overnight at Lake Victoria Serena Resort- Entebbe

DAY 6: Entebbe - Luanda

After an early breakfast, check out and transfer to Entebbe Airport for your onward flight to Nairobi.

Upon arrival at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, our representative will meet you and help you with your check in to your flight to Luanda, Angola.

Maracamama, how will they get you back to the ship in Luanda, Angola now that the Whisper itinerary has been changed? The last stop in Africa is now Walvis Bay, Namibia on April 9. I presume that they will fly you there?

Even though 10 April shows as "At Sea", the Whisper will be anchoring off Luanda and offers 2 shore excursions that day.

Even though 10 April shows as "At Sea", the Whisper will be anchoring off Luanda and offers 2 shore excursions that day.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but......

The ship is currently scheduled to leave Walvis Bay at 22:00 9th April, and arrives Jamestown 08:00 13th April, approx 3 1/2 days.

According to Ports.com its 1480 nautical miles between the two and at an average speed of 18 knots it will take 3.4 days.

I cannot see where that leaves any time to be anywhere near Luanda.

Have you tried calling them to check.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but......

The ship is currently scheduled to leave Walvis Bay at 22:00 9th April, and arrives Jamestown 08:00 13th April, approx 3 1/2 days.

According to Ports.com its 1480 nautical miles between the two and at an average speed of 18 knots it will take 3.4 days.

I cannot see where that leaves any time to be anywhere near Luanda.

Have you tried calling them to check.

Will pass it on to my TA, she can query SS. We have just arrived in Figi to board the Explorer in 2 days for a month or so. Not going to worry about the gorillas right now. But thanks for the calculations, SS!

Boy, you caught me off guard, bragging about my world wide contacts. My partner will not forgive my spelling but the guys are Lasse and Olae, god I apologize for the spelling. Sometime I should just keep my mouth or better yet my fingers shut. They are however just the most wonderful caring people.

One of the wonderful things about cruising on Silversea is the fact that you can meet people from all over the world, make lasting friendships and stay in touch.

We are always so happy when our cruise schedules mesh with those of our "foreign" friends.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I posted this before, but I do not see it, so I will try again. We are thing of taking the 2016 WC on Whisper. I would love to hear about this ship. Do they have a laundry room. I know they will do laundry, but there are clothes I would like to clean.

We have taken two WC's with HAL, but we want to try another cruise line. Thanks for any help you can give us.