Silversea announce on Facebook free WiFi for all

Silversea Cruises

Read Silversea Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Find Your Silversea Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:56 AM.
London
541 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
I have just seen an announcement from the Silversea Facebook page which says:

'Silversea is the first ultra-luxury cruise line with yet another benefit - free WiFi.

Beginning with sailings in January 2016, every guest will receive at least one free hour of WiFi per day, with select suites receiving unlimited free WiFi.'

It has been a long time coming and let us hope the techies has made sure supply will match demand. Good news, though.
Canada
3,498 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by duct tape
Just got the e-mail. I believe it said...All Ships, All Voyages, All the Time...didn't notice a date.
duct tape, I wonder if this will impact on the complimentary internet package with the WC.
Columbus, Ohio
19,586 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by 57 varieties
I have just seen an announcement from the Silversea Facebook page which says: 'Silversea is the first ultra-luxury cruise line with yet another benefit - free WiFi. Beginning with sailings in January 2016, every guest will receive at least one free hour of WiFi per day, with select suites receiving unlimited free WiFi.'
YES!! Great news. Did just check their website and nothing shows there about this major development. Nothing on their site for recent news media releases on this subject. Am planning for a Feb. 2016 Silver Cloud ten-day South Africa cruises. This will make things easier. BUT, with things being "free" how will affect the quality of service and the data loads being sent up and coming back to the ship? Too many people trying to use the web can slow things down. Hopefully Silversea plans accordingly.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:
http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s....php?t=2157696
Now at 24,209 views for these postings.
Columbus, Ohio
19,586 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
To update what I had just posted, if you look on our Feb. 2-12, 2016 South Africa cruise, it does show what is reflected below.

"Included in this Cruise
Free WiFi throughout the ship"

When checking a Silver Cloud Nov. 2015 cruise, there is no line listed promising such a benefit of "Free WiFi throughout the ship". This seems to make it more seem to be more "real" and official. Will make a web screen shot for my records.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139
for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 109,731 views for this posting.
Arizona
510 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
A simple way to see all the 2015 and 2016 voyages WIFI by room class. Just go to Silversea home page, scroll to the bottom, Under "travel Information" at the bottom, click on "WIFI PACKAES" and it will show you everything you ever wanted to know about ships WIFI. Even breaks it down by world cruises and expeditions....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
( 12) SILVERSEA Cruise Shadow-Alaska 2011, Whisper-Central American 2013, Silver Galapagos 2013, Wind-Africa/Canary Islands/Spain 2014, London-London 2016 Cloud Athens-Rome -2014, Mobsasa-Cape town-2015 Explorer 2015 Lisbon- Portsmouth, Muse 2017 Buenos Aires, Argentina - Key West Florida
(2) SEABOURN Cruise Sojourn, South America 2013, Quest, Boston 2015
(2) CELEBRITY Cruise Mediterranean2010/ 2008
(1) UNIWORLD RIVER Cruise (S.S.) Antoinette -Castles along the Rhine 2014,
(4) SCENIC RIVER Cruise Scenic Gem Paris to Paris 2016, Scenic Amber 2017 Prague - Budapest, Scenic Eclipse 2018 Cuba to Cuba, 2019 Buenos Aires, Argentina to Antarctica
Gibsonton, Florida
1,254 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
An hour a day is no more than I get on any other cruise line and much less than some. A small step within the industry, a gigantic leap for Silversea.
In other words, a big yawn.
Coconut Grove, FL
77 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Yeah. Read the small print. Unless you are in a high end suite, you get 1 free hour a day. OK for some people, I guess... but if you are still working and need more time than that, not so free. Regent still gets the nod on this one, all free, 24/7. Still wouldn't give up SS, though!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Martha

1993 Ocean Pearl Far East
1994 R 1 Seychelles
1995 Marco Polo Burma
1996 Marco Polo Singapore
1997 Paul Gaugin French Polynesia
1998 Crown Odyssey Inaugural Medit.
1999/2000 Marco Polo Millenium Antarctica
2001 Silversea Shadow Viet Nam
2002 Seaborne Legend B2B Transatlantic
2003 Silversea Cloud B2BTransatlantic
2004 Marco Polo Scandinavia
2005 Norwegian Wind Hawaii
2005 Silversea Wind 2B2B Middle East
2006 Silversea Wind 3B2B Transatlantic (100+ Days on SS)
2007 Oosterdam Alaska
Nov-Dec 2007 Regent Mariner Aust/NZ/LA B2B
Nov 2009 Regent Voyager Mumbai-Capetown
Nov 2009 Regent Voyager Capetown-Rio de Janeiro (100+ Days on RSSC)
Dec 2009 Regent Voyager Rio-Fort Lauderdale
April 2010 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera
May 2010 Amadolce River Cruise Paris-Budapest
Oct-Dec 2010 Silversea Prince Albert II (now the Silver Explorer): Costa Rica to Chilean Fjords to Antarctica (the 7 week Marriage Test)
Mar 2011 Regent Navigator FLL-FLL
April 2011 Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean
Sept 2011 Silversea Shadow 3 B2B Asia
April-May 2012 Regent Voyager 3 B2B Athens-Rome
Oct-Nov 2012 Colonial Harbors Regent Navigator Montreal-Miami
April 5-May 1, 2013 Silversea Whisper Capetown to FLL
June 2013 Celebrity Solstice Alaska
June 2014 Viking Gullveig Amsterdam-Basel
June-July 2014 Silver Discoverer Otaru (Sapporo)-Seward
October 2014 Silver Explorer French Polynesia
January 5-May 1, 2015 World Cruise Silversea Whisper LA-FLL
Sept 2016 Silver Whisper Southampton-Montreal
April 2017 Azamara Quest TA Miami-Barcelona

All 50 states, Canada, South Africa, Cuba, China, Japan, Cambodia, Thailand
Can frequently be found in The Cayman Islands...
Reston, Virginia
792 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Slightly better than implied by the earlier posts, what it says is:
2016 Voyages
• Unlimited Internet access for guests in Medallion, Silver, Royal, Grand, and Owner's Suites
• One hour of Internet access per guest/per day for guests in Vista, Terrace, and Veranda Suites
•For additional tiered packages, please click here

So, we're expecting 2 hours total for the 2 of us...possibly different logins or (hopefully) they take the easier route and credit the suite with 2 hours/day.

Annoyingly, this is for our Med cruise next May...this year each suite on a Med cruise gets 2 hours per guest per day...maybe it'll edge up if they have problems selling out the ships.

Originally posted by Maracamama
Regent still gets the nod on this one, all free, 24/7.
That's now only true for Gold (75 nights) or above unless you were grandfathered under the previous Silver (20 nights) or above. Unless it has changed very recently, none included for the lowest suite categories (some included for the higher levels). However, we're well above Gold so I'd agree that we're ahead on Regent WRT wifi.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Scott
------

1/01: Renaissance R7, Central Mediterranean; 5/02: HAL Volendam, Alaska; 12/02: RSSC Mariner, Western Caribbean; 7/03: RSSC Voyager, Baltic; 2/04: RSSC Diamond, Eastern Caribbean; 10/04: RSSC Diamond, Eastern Mediterranean; 5/05: RSSC Mariner, LA-Alaska; 8/05: RSSC Voyager, Europe-Mediterranean; 12/05: HAL Volendam, Eastern Caribbean; 10/06: RSSC Voyager, Central Mediterranean; 6/07: RSSC Voyager, Norway/Arctic; 7/08: RSSC Navigator, Black Sea; 12/08: RSSC Voyager, Panama Canal; 6/09: RSSC Mariner, Alaska; 7/10: RSSC Voyager, Baltic; 10/10: Silversea Spirit, Western Mediterranean; 1/12: A&K Le Boreal, Antarctic; 6/12: RSSC Voyager, Iceland-Norway; 5/13: Silversea Shadow, Japan-Alaska; 7/13: A&K Le Boreal, Arctic; 12/13: Tauck Swiss Sapphire, Rhine; 7/14: Tauck Swiss Sapphire, Seine; 10/15: RSSC Voyager, Istanbul-Dubai; 5/16: Silversea Cloud, Venice-Athens; 3/17: Regent Explorer, Miami-Venice; 5/18: Regent Mariner, SF-Alaska; 12/18: Regent Voyager, W. Caribbean; 2/19: Regent Explorer, BA-Valparaiso; 4/20: Regent Splendor, Miami-New York
Newbury Ma
677 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by duct tape
Just got the e-mail. I believe it said...All Ships, All Voyages, All the Time...didn't notice a date.
Not till next January
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UK
8,194 Posts
Joined May 2012
Morning all.

Hate to remind people of the obvious, but unless SS significantly upgrades the service to ease contention that was dsigned for a more limited use then the next set of howling complaints here will be "what is the point in offering free (included) wifi to everyone if no one can download anything?". To explain this over simply, everyone will be cramming to get through the same size pipe at the same time and so effectively you will spend some time crawling and some time completely stationary or sent back ie disconnected.

Unless there is significant investment in upgrades ... call me a cynic but based on everything else - I doubt there will - then what will happen is that many of those with unlimited wifi will be (if like me) downloading or buffering live streams to watch stuff I want to in the evening. If it is unlimited free for many it will be in this mode for a fair amount of time. This will kill the speed for everyone. And what about those in suites with fringe or non-existent reception.

For those interested in the topic it has been discussed before and earlier threads might be helpful to some.

The first thread is where I offered some practical suggestions on how you might increase speed in your own favour on ships with wall socket internet connections by creating your own wifi hotspot for "unlimited" numbers of passengers. In my hotel currently I have set this up and it not only means that we have a strong signal but our speed is currently three times the speed of the hotels wifi which everyone else is sharing.

"Internet, iPhone and iPads"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1972739

.... and ....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1814834

Promises are one thing .... and we all know about those .... .but delivery is a completely different issue.

Jeff
UK (Deepest Lincolnshire)
1,498 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Just received the email which makes it clear that the free WiFi starts in Jan 2016.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Silver Spirit 1-2-13 LA-South Pacific-LA 31 days
Seabourn Spirit 30-11-2013 Bridgetown-Bridgetown 14 days
Silver Shadow 19-4-2014 Hong Kong-Tokyo-Alaska 27 days
Silver Whisper 25-11-2014 Amazon 17 days
Silver Spirit 13-4-2015 TA 12 days
Silver Spirit 4-12-2015 Panama Canal 17 days
Silver Whisper 27-5-2016 Baltic 14 days
QM2 8-12-2016 TA 7 days

rv La Marguerite 1-4-2017 Vietnam/Cambodia 13 days
Silver Wind 10-11-17 TA 15 days
Silver Spirit 5-1-18 Cape Town - Cape Town 10 days

Columbus, Ohio
19,586 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by UKCruiseJeff
The first thread is where I offered some practical suggestions on how you might increase speed in your own favour on ships with wall socket internet connections by creating your own wifi hotspot for "unlimited" numbers of passengers. In my hotel currently I have set this up and it not only means that we have a strong signal but our speed is currently three times the speed of the hotels wifi which everyone else is sharing. Jeff
Appreciate Jeff's smart suggestion and technical option to boost ship Internet speed. Agree, as I noted earlier, that hopefully, Silversea will be ready for the "use impacts" as "free wi-fi" drives up, UP, UP demand for access for such ship-board systems.

I had not notice initially, that "free" one hour of wi-fi is "PER PERSON", not just per suite or room. BUT, how will Silversea manage on the usage between what I might use in accessing the Internet . . . versus . . . what and when my wife does her mail/web use?? Will it be two hours combined/total to be used under one room sign-in? Or totally separate accounts for each of the two different people in the room? On our recent 26-day Silver Cloud sailing, we had the $16 a day unlimited web package that worked well. BUT, both of us could not be signed on at the same time. That was fine. I would be signed off when she wanted to access the web. That worked out to be no problem to accomplish and use under those rules.

Any speculation for how Silversea will manage and set-up the "PER PERSON" use and sign-on process in the future for couples in their suites?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 179,133 views.
http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s....php?t=1227923
Arizona
510 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by TLCOhio
[color="Blue"][size="3"][font="Georgia"]
Any speculation for how Silversea will manage and set-up the "PER PERSON" use and sign-on process in the future for couples in their suites?
http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s....php?t=1227923
they do it currently with each person in the suite creating a password and signing in with their last name, suite # and password. Also time is accumulative if you miss a day....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
( 12) SILVERSEA Cruise Shadow-Alaska 2011, Whisper-Central American 2013, Silver Galapagos 2013, Wind-Africa/Canary Islands/Spain 2014, London-London 2016 Cloud Athens-Rome -2014, Mobsasa-Cape town-2015 Explorer 2015 Lisbon- Portsmouth, Muse 2017 Buenos Aires, Argentina - Key West Florida
(4) SCENIC RIVER Cruise Scenic Gem Paris to Paris 2016, Scenic Amber 2017 Prague - Budapest, Scenic Eclipse 2018 Cuba to Cuba, 2019 Buenos Aires, Argentina to Antarctica
Arizona
510 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by wripro
But will it be accumulative when it's free?
One big catch; only free when you really pay for it.... same as getting married.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Alaska
97 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
On the Spirit from Lisbon to Barcelona in May everyone had free internet and we didn't notice a slow down. The ship was full also. Only one person per room could be on at a time. I'm pleased of this new change. Something all of us has been asking for.
Coconut Grove, FL
77 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Originally posted by UKCruiseJeff
Morning all.

Hate to remind people of the obvious, but unless SS significantly upgrades the service to ease contention that was dsigned for a more limited use then the next set of howling complaints here will be "what is the point in offering free (included) wifi to everyone if no one can download anything?". To explain this over simply, everyone will be cramming to get through the same size pipe at the same time and so effectively you will spend some time crawling and some time completely stationary or sent back ie disconnected.

Unless there is significant investment in upgrades ... call me a cynic but based on everything else - I doubt there will - then what will happen is that many of those with unlimited wifi will be (if like me) downloading or buffering live streams to watch stuff I want to in the evening. If it is unlimited free for many it will be in this mode for a fair amount of time. This will kill the speed for everyone. And what about those in suites with fringe or non-existent reception.

For those interested in the topic it has been discussed before and earlier threads might be helpful to some.

The first thread is where I offered some practical suggestions on how you might increase speed in your own favour on ships with wall socket internet connections by creating your own wifi hotspot for "unlimited" numbers of passengers. In my hotel currently I have set this up and it not only means that we have a strong signal but our speed is currently three times the speed of the hotels wifi which everyone else is sharing.

"Internet, iPhone and iPads"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1972739

.... and ....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1814834

Promises are one thing .... and we all know about those .... .but delivery is a completely different issue.

Jeff
Jeff,
Dirty little secret: I had no problems on the WC streaming from Netflix and Amazon Prime. For technical reasons I do not understand, I assume because the "home" account is in Fort Lauderdale, the computer sees your device as being in the US. When we are in other countries (most specifically our home in Grand Cayman) I cannot access these services, as it says my computer is out of the US. I had no trouble with buffering. Enjoy!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Martha

1993 Ocean Pearl Far East
1994 R 1 Seychelles
1995 Marco Polo Burma
1996 Marco Polo Singapore
1997 Paul Gaugin French Polynesia
1998 Crown Odyssey Inaugural Medit.
1999/2000 Marco Polo Millenium Antarctica
2001 Silversea Shadow Viet Nam
2002 Seaborne Legend B2B Transatlantic
2003 Silversea Cloud B2BTransatlantic
2004 Marco Polo Scandinavia
2005 Norwegian Wind Hawaii
2005 Silversea Wind 2B2B Middle East
2006 Silversea Wind 3B2B Transatlantic (100+ Days on SS)
2007 Oosterdam Alaska
Nov-Dec 2007 Regent Mariner Aust/NZ/LA B2B
Nov 2009 Regent Voyager Mumbai-Capetown
Nov 2009 Regent Voyager Capetown-Rio de Janeiro (100+ Days on RSSC)
Dec 2009 Regent Voyager Rio-Fort Lauderdale
April 2010 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera
May 2010 Amadolce River Cruise Paris-Budapest
Oct-Dec 2010 Silversea Prince Albert II (now the Silver Explorer): Costa Rica to Chilean Fjords to Antarctica (the 7 week Marriage Test)
Mar 2011 Regent Navigator FLL-FLL
April 2011 Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean
Sept 2011 Silversea Shadow 3 B2B Asia
April-May 2012 Regent Voyager 3 B2B Athens-Rome
Oct-Nov 2012 Colonial Harbors Regent Navigator Montreal-Miami
April 5-May 1, 2013 Silversea Whisper Capetown to FLL
June 2013 Celebrity Solstice Alaska
June 2014 Viking Gullveig Amsterdam-Basel
June-July 2014 Silver Discoverer Otaru (Sapporo)-Seward
October 2014 Silver Explorer French Polynesia
January 5-May 1, 2015 World Cruise Silversea Whisper LA-FLL
Sept 2016 Silver Whisper Southampton-Montreal
April 2017 Azamara Quest TA Miami-Barcelona

All 50 states, Canada, South Africa, Cuba, China, Japan, Cambodia, Thailand
Can frequently be found in The Cayman Islands...
Reston, Virginia
792 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maracamama View Post
Regent still gets the nod on this one, all free, 24/7.

Originally posted by Portolan
That's now only true for Gold (75 nights) or above unless you were grandfathered under the previous Silver (20 nights) or above. Unless it has changed very recently, none included for the lowest suite categories (some included for the higher levels). However, we're well above Gold so I'd agree that we're ahead on Regent WRT wifi.
Staring next year, Regent is offering unlimited wifi for all suites levels. Still a slight advantage for Gold and above as we get unlimited wifi for each of us (two logins) whereas the new free wifi is one login per suite.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Scott
------

1/01: Renaissance R7, Central Mediterranean; 5/02: HAL Volendam, Alaska; 12/02: RSSC Mariner, Western Caribbean; 7/03: RSSC Voyager, Baltic; 2/04: RSSC Diamond, Eastern Caribbean; 10/04: RSSC Diamond, Eastern Mediterranean; 5/05: RSSC Mariner, LA-Alaska; 8/05: RSSC Voyager, Europe-Mediterranean; 12/05: HAL Volendam, Eastern Caribbean; 10/06: RSSC Voyager, Central Mediterranean; 6/07: RSSC Voyager, Norway/Arctic; 7/08: RSSC Navigator, Black Sea; 12/08: RSSC Voyager, Panama Canal; 6/09: RSSC Mariner, Alaska; 7/10: RSSC Voyager, Baltic; 10/10: Silversea Spirit, Western Mediterranean; 1/12: A&K Le Boreal, Antarctic; 6/12: RSSC Voyager, Iceland-Norway; 5/13: Silversea Shadow, Japan-Alaska; 7/13: A&K Le Boreal, Arctic; 12/13: Tauck Swiss Sapphire, Rhine; 7/14: Tauck Swiss Sapphire, Seine; 10/15: RSSC Voyager, Istanbul-Dubai; 5/16: Silversea Cloud, Venice-Athens; 3/17: Regent Explorer, Miami-Venice; 5/18: Regent Mariner, SF-Alaska; 12/18: Regent Voyager, W. Caribbean; 2/19: Regent Explorer, BA-Valparaiso; 4/20: Regent Splendor, Miami-New York