A flight out of Venice, is 9.25 am too early?

dupe1_Risteilijä

I'd say absolutely no way. Try putting details into this:

http://bookings.royalcaribbean.co.uk/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2724&faqSubjectId=324&wuc=GBR

From the rough information I put in it said 11.10 earliest flight departure recommended but might be different with your specific sailing info.

Edited by Cruisingthesuitelife

If the arrival is on time and you walk off very early you might make that flight - assuming you don't have much luggage and can carry it easily the water taxi from the cruise terminal to the airport should get you there pretty quick.

I'll also echo "no way" on the 09:25 flight.

Are you going to arrange the post-cruise airport transfer with RCI? They will provide a guideline on the earliest flight time you can book in order to arrange a post-cruise transfer with them. I am not sure if this will be a different time than the RCI web site tool posted by Cruisingthesuitelife.

Even if you don't book the post-cruise transfer with RCI, you can use their earliest possible flight time as a guideline for yourself.

I agree with Emdee, don't book a flight before noon. I wouldn't want to be stressed out during the morning of disembarking, wondering if I will make it to the airport on time for check-in/security screening prior to the flight.

If the arrival is on time and you walk off very early you might make that flight - assuming you don't have much luggage and can carry it easily the water taxi from the cruise terminal to the airport should get you there pretty quick.

Water taxi? We think not. First you have to arrange for a water taxi and it can easily cost over 100€. And assuming you can work out how to find the water taxi in the port and drag your luggage to the correct pier area you still have a pretty long ride. And once at the airport you have a pretty long walk (hauling your luggage) from the pier to the terminal. This walk cannot be mimimized since it is about 1/2 kilotmeter! It is actually faster and much cheaper to simply take a land taxi (or a pre arranged car transfer) from the port to the airport. And the taxi will drop you right at the terminal entrance (no long walk).

All that being said, Marco Polo airport is among the worst in Italy. At times the place is disorganized and security lines can be slow. We would only gamble on a 9:25 flight if there was a low cost alternative if we missed the flight.

Hank

Hi, guys. I'm departing Venice Marco Polo at 1:25 pm and don't have any worries. Question is my cruise partner has a flight scheduled at 10:55 am. We were wondering what time to leave the ship and then I read this thread. Should I just ask her to reschedule to a flight after noon? She is on United FF miles. What do you think? I don't want to get to the airport at 8:00 am and have to stand around with my luggage until 11:30 before I can check it!

Also, some of you talked about checking in. Is that checking in at the gate to get a boarding pass? Can they not be printed onboard or sent to your phone? I am more concerned about checking the large baggage. Maybe I'm confused? Appreciate any help someone would like to offer!

Check in in refers to getting boarding pass and turning over checked baggage. I would count her flight as early but doable if she is first off. Better to stand there for an extra hour then miss the flight. You never know how bad the lines are until you arrive.

You can check in on board but it is expensive to use the ship WiFi/ computers. If isn't like a hotel with a business center you can use. We have never checked in on board.

you still need to show your passport and drop your bags.

On our last trip, the flight to JFK was at noon; we arrived at 9:30am and had about 10-15 minutes to spare before it was time to board the plane. Just stood in line .....

The trip before that we arrived at 4pm for a 6pm flight and had to run to the gate in order to catch the plane.

Hi, guys. I'm departing Venice Marco Polo at 1:25 pm and don't have any worries. Question is my cruise partner has a flight scheduled at 10:55 am. We were wondering what time to leave the ship and then I read this thread. Should I just ask her to reschedule to a flight after noon? She is on United FF miles. What do you think? I don't want to get to the airport at 8:00 am and have to stand around with my luggage until 11:30 before I can check it!

Personally, given the FF ticket we would also have no problem with a 10:55 flight. But we would probably want to be on our way to the airport by 7:30am. And if you go out that early you will be spending a lot to time relaxing at the airport, but that might be a price you must pay to stick with your partner as long as possible.

This airport defies any good advice. We once had a 8:30 flight and arrived at the airport at 6am...only to find that our airline counter was not even open. They did not open until around 7, by which time there was a very long line...and check-in went at a snails pace (this was all USAIR). But given the situation at Marco Polo one really needs to get there very early and just suffer the consequences. It is enough to make one book a transatlantic cruise home (which we have done numerous times).

Hank