Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

We're staying at the Hilton Marina in June. We would like to board the water taxi there for the full tour of FLL, ending at Las Olas for the afternoon. After our time on Las Olas we would like to take the short route back to the Hilton Marina.

Is there a specific direction I should look for notated on the water taxi?

Yes, the outbound route from stop #4 (Las Olas) to stop #6 (Hilton Marina).

Post cruise hotel question... does anyone know how far or how much taxi would be to Margarittaville Hotel in Hollywood from FLL cruise port (Harmony of the Seas June 2017) --- considering booking this hotel for 2 night post cruise stay with husband and two 20 something daughters. Curious if this is a good choice, my youngest will be celebrating 21st birthday and thought Margarittaville sounded like a fun place. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by dee1321

Post cruise hotel question... does anyone know how far or how much taxi would be to Margarittaville Hotel in Hollywood from FLL cruise port (Harmony of the Seas June 2017) --- considering booking this hotel for 2 night post cruise stay with husband and two 20 something daughters. Curious if this is a good choice, my youngest will be celebrating 21st birthday and thought Margarittaville sounded like a fun place. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

I think it's a good choice, though the rates there are always so high. It might make more sense to stay on Ft Lauderdale beach, where the kids will have more fun going out at night. (The pools at the W, Hilton, Westin, and Courtyard are nice and moderately priced in the summer and an easy walk to the strip).

Taxi should be under $35.

United Air "transferred" my flights from Orlando to FLL to their subsidiary, Silver Airways. In looking online, I see absolutely terrible, awful (like run away as fast as you can) reviews .

So now, I am back to my original dilemma, which is either hope for the best with the flight, or try to rent a car and drive (but some roads are closed for the Memorial Day Beach Bash), or try the Red Coach bus.

A small delay in flights I can manage, as we are going in the day before our cruise, but has anyone successfully flown on Silver Airways? At all?

Thank you for any suggestions!

A long time ago I was asking about rental car return locations and the crowds during the Memorial Day Beach Bash. I thought you indicated the Hertz on State Road 84 would be outside of the road closure area, but it's hard for me to tell. And I can't find the post!!

http://www.fortlauderdale.gov/departments/parks-recreation/special-events/great-american-beach-party

Am currently scheduled to return a rental car to that location. Would you recommend I try to switch to the FLL airport? It will be the Saturday Beach Bash day.

Thank you!!!!

A long time ago I was asking about rental car return locations and the crowds during the Memorial Day Beach Bash. I thought you indicated the Hertz on State Road 84 would be outside of the road closure area, but it's hard for me to tell. And I can't find the post!!

http://www.fortlauderdale.gov/departments/parks-recreation/special-events/great-american-beach-party

Am currently scheduled to return a rental car to that location. Would you recommend I try to switch to the FLL airport? It will be the Saturday Beach Bash day.

Thank you!!!!

The road closures are along the beach north of Las Olas Blvd. Hertz is at the Crowne Plaza near Everglades Northport - a good distance south of the action.

You should be fine.

Thank you! We hope to arrive in FLL by noon.

Do you think the State Rd 84 is a good location for being easy to find and access from the highway?

Thank you again!!!

Yes, driving south on I-95 look for 84 (Marina Mile) at Exit 25. Turn EAST and drive 2 miles to the Crowne Plaza Hotel /Hertz on the left.

Here is a map

Thank you Steerage Joe! That map is better than the one I have been using. I could also drop off the car at the FLL airport location. Does that seem a better idea? Generally, I like to avoid airport traffic, but if any FLL locals consider that a much better idea, I would switch.

Edited by Marylandteachergirl

I'm staying at Gallery One two nights before my October cruise and would love to go to a restaurant that serves lamb. Any suggestions?

Greek Islands Taverna serves THE BEST lamb chops! We go there just for the lamb chops, although everything else on the menu is excellent as well.

The restaurant is located on A1A just north of Oakland Park Blvd, approximately 2.5 miles north from Gallery One, a 10-minute drive.

http://www.greekislandstaverna.com/

Uber lists an estimate of $25-$30 for that route.

Good afternoon! We are cruising newbies so have been reading these boards a lot in the past week or so. :)

Due to a stroke my husband now uses a small mobility scooter that we will be traveling with. It is very portable... disassembles and fits in the trunk of a car.

Our question is this: For ease of transportation as well as fairly good certainty of space for his scooter, is there a town car company that any of you would recommend to get from the Courtyard Inn near the airport to the port in Miami? We are flying in from DC the night before our cruise and will be booking the service for our return also.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to help out all of us with a million and one questions! :D

Elin

My wife and I are cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale in January. I have booked the Embassy Suites and I have a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to reserve the shuttle to the port from Embassy Suites ahead of time? We don't get in until very late the night before our cruise.

2. Is the Embassy Suites shuttle reliable or should we get a taxi?

3. Our flight home leaves the same day that we return to port. Should we just grab a taxi at the port to the airport?

I appreciate any help.

Good afternoon! We are cruising newbies so have been reading these boards a lot in the past week or so. :)

Due to a stroke my husband now uses a small mobility scooter that we will be traveling with. It is very portable... disassembles and fits in the trunk of a car.

Our question is this: For ease of transportation as well as fairly good certainty of space for his scooter, is there a town car company that any of you would recommend to get from the Courtyard Inn near the airport to the port in Miami? We are flying in from DC the night before our cruise and will be booking the service for our return also.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to help out all of us with a million and one questions! :D

Elin

I booked Larry's Limos that has a lot of good reviews on here. Very easy to deal with when I called.

• 4 weeks later...

What's the earliest you would book a flight leaving FLL after disembarking the Allure? There's an 11:00 AM flight that I'd love to be on so I'm not getting home late, but I don't want to cut it too close!

We always plan for a return flight 1130AM or after since that is the cut-off time for Princess EZ check that we prefer. But - if you are doing Princess Walk-Off with your luggage IMO you can easily be at the FLL airport at 900AM by taxi. If you put your luggage out the evening before disembarkation - on your departure morning you will need to go ashore by group tag number/color - collect luggage, go through customs and then to airport - in this case ask Princess Passenger Service for the earliest disembarkation time available. But - remember things happen - so a bit later flight is less problematic.

What's the earliest you would book a flight leaving FLL after disembarking the Allure? There's an 11:00 AM flight that I'd love to be on so I'm not getting home late, but I don't want to cut it too close!

We always plan for a return flight 1130AM or after since that is the cut-off time for Princess EZ check that we prefer. But - if you are doing Princess Walk-Off with your luggage IMO you can easily be at the FLL airport at 900AM by taxi. If you put your luggage out the evening before disembarkation - on your departure morning you will need to go ashore by group tag number/color - collect luggage, go through customs and then to airport - in this case ask Princess Passenger Service for the earliest disembarkation time available. But - remember things happen - so a bit later flight is less problematic.

The Allure isn't a Princess ship - it is Royal Caribbean. Aside from that your advice is good. Best for the OP would be to do self disembarkation. Just pack light so you can take your luggage off first thing in the morning without any assistance. Self-disembarkation usually begins before normal disembarkation so you'll get to the airport earlier.

• 4 weeks later...

Contemplating switching hotels after finding out no shuttle and 9.00 per person to use concierge transport from airport to hotel. Im shocked by this..

Can anyone please give me recommendations for hotels with shuttle from airport? We get in afternoon day before cruise so don't need to keep busy for the day. Just some food. Last time we were in PE w stayed at Fairfield looking back. But huge group then.

Thank you so much in advance for any help!

Contemplating switching hotels after finding out no shuttle and 9.00 per person to use concierge transport from airport to hotel. Im shocked by this..

Can anyone please give me recommendations for hotels with shuttle from airport? We get in afternoon day before cruise so don't need to keep busy for the day. Just some food. Last time we were in PE w stayed at Fairfield looking back. But huge group then.

Thank you so much in advance for any help!

Very few hotels have free port shuttles but a quite a few have free airport shuttles. I'm not sure why you would want to plan your hotel around a shuttle though. You have to go on their schedule and there are inexpensive options if you stay near the port and airport. $7-10 pp is the typical hotel shuttle fee if it isn't free.

Taxi to ES is about $15 and to port is about $10...that's for the whole carload. You can also use Uber app for a ride for even less than that. So if you stay at a hotel on SE 17th St, just budget an extra $25 and you'll have transportation on your schedule.

Edited by royalcruz

Very few hotels have free port shuttles but a quite a few have free airport shuttles. I'm not sure why you would want to plan your hotel around a shuttle though. You have to go on their schedule and there are inexpensive options if you stay near the port and airport. $7-10 pp is the typical hotel shuttle fee if it isn't free.

Taxi to ES is about $15 and to port is about $10...that's for the whole carload. You can also use Uber app for a ride for even less than that. So if you stay at a hotel on SE 17th St, just budget an extra $25 and you'll have transportation on your schedule.

TY so much! Exactly what I was looking for. Have a great day!