Just off the Spirit 19th May - 31st May

Manxcruiser

Just disembarked off the Spirit on 31st May. What a great time we had. Every cabin was full but it didn't feel like a full ship. On early port days the buffet breakfast was full and tables were hard to find, but it wasn't an issue as they cleared quickly. We had a balcony cabin (9010) which was great and the bathroom and shower was a really good size. Shower pressure was amazing. Best meal we had was in Le Bistro followed by Cagney's for my 50th Bday. Ate in Windows once and was underwhelmed. The buffet dining was pretty good. I gained 7lbs so I didn't lack from food.

We had the UBP and we used it to it's highest potential! Although...I think they must water the booze down. I know I had about 5 Rum Runners in one afternoon by the pool and hardly felt a buzz. The only time really felt like I was drinking alcohol was when we had a bottle of prosecco.

Knowing know after having started in Venice and ending in Barcelona. I would do the cruise starting in Barcelona.

Kotor and Florence were my favourite ports and Athens was my least favourite.

We had private tours in Rome and Florence which were excellent and we felt like VIP's arriving and departing from virtually right out front of all the sights.

Hotels in Venice (Palazzo Odoni) and Barcelona (Hotel Granvia) were excellent!

Any questions ask away!

Edited by Manxcruiser

Just disembarked off the Spirit on 31st May. What a great time we had. Every cabin was full but it didn't feel like a full ship. On early port days the buffet breakfast was full and tables were hard to find, but it wasn't an issue as they cleared quickly. We had a balcony cabin (9010) which was great and the bathroom and shower was a really good size. Shower pressure was amazing. Best meal we had was in Le Bistro followed by Cagney's for my 50th Bday. Ate in Windows once and was underwhelmed. The buffet dining was pretty good. I gained 7lbs so I didn't lack from food.

We had the UBP and we used it to it's highest potential! Although...I think they must water the booze down. I know I had about 5 Rum Runners in one afternoon by the pool and hardly felt a buzz. The only time really felt like I was drinking alcohol was when we had a bottle of prosecco.

Knowing know after having started in Venice and ending in Barcelona. I would do the cruise starting in Barcelona.

Kotor and Florence were my favourite ports and Athens was my least favourite.

We had private tours in Rome and Florence which were excellent and we felt like VIP's arriving and departing from virtually right out front of all the sights.

Hotels in Venice (Palazzo Odoni) and Barcelona (Hotel Granvia) were excellent!

Any questions ask away!

So glad you guys had a good time! We were on the previous sailing out of Barcelona so I'm glad we left some liquor for you!

Which tour company did you use

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Rome in Limo..

Our driver in Rome was Stephano

And Marie Clara in Florence and if you book multi trips with them I believe you get a discount

We have booked them as well for all 3 of our Italy ports. Can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Our driver in Florence drove us though the Tuscan countryside to enter Florence. I would suggest asking your driver to take the scenic route instead of the motorway. It was gorgeous!

It was pouring down when we went but the landscape was lovely. We went back to the ship the same way and by that time the sun was shining and was well worth it. She stopped at a vineyard so we could photograph the baby grapes and baby olives.

We are off on same cruise soon. Bcn to vce.

I have a few questions

Is there any shelving in the wardrobes. ?

Do you get bathrobes....I keep getting conflicting answers. Yes or no.

Did the ship tender or dock in mykonos

Thanks for your review looking forward to sailing the Spirit for the 1st time in 2018.

I'm curious to know if you sailed up the Venice canal or have they moved the cruise ship traffic elsewhere, I know there was talk of it.

We sailed the canal in 2012 and it was the most memorable sail away ever.

Can you also tell me if Hotel Granvia offered a breakfast pkg. the hotel looks great.Thanks

Edited by FranknBeans

Thanks for your review looking forward to sailing the Spirit for the 1st time in 2018.

I'm curious to know if you sailed up the Venice canal or have they moved the cruise ship traffic elsewhere, I know there was talk of it.

Can you also tell me if Hotel Granvia offered a breakfast pkg. the hotel looks great.Thanks

I found the breakfast info.

We are off on same cruise soon. Bcn to vce.

I have a few questions

Is there any shelving in the wardrobes. ?

Do you get bathrobes....I keep getting conflicting answers. Yes or no.

Did the ship tender or dock in mykonos

Yes there were about 4 or 5 shelves in the wardrobes and there was a small cabinet with 4 shallow drawers under the fridge unit. Our socks and undies fit in these drawers just fine. I took an over the door shoe hanger and hung it on the inside of the bathroom door and this was a HUGE space saver.

Yes we did get bathrobes. Only one to begin with but by the second day we had two.

We were the first into Mykonos so was docked, but was told that this is not always the case. First come first served I guess.

Enjoy! I wish we were still there!

I'm glad that you had such a great trip!

Curious why you would prefer to start trip in Barcelona instead of Venice?

We've been to Venice twice before..but one of my husbands bucket list was to sail in or out of Venice. It was after 11pm when we sailed, we knew this before hand but until you actually do it...it's an unknown and I think it would have been nicer to sail into Venice during the light instead. Another point is the end of the cruise is port intensive..Naples..Rome..Florence..Toulon..one after the other and the first bit has a few sea days. I think I would have rather gotten the one after the other out of the way and then have a relaxed ending. Does this make sense?

We sailed out of the canal. Wish we had sailed into the Venice now to see the sights properly.

I booked the hotel through booking.com and breakfast wasn't offered. But for the 14 Euro per person it was worth it. It was lovely. The coffee machine is a free 24 hour service and between 3 and 7 they offer afternoon tea for 2 Euro per person. By that time I had reached food overload and we didn't try it, but it looked well worth the 2 Euro.

The classic room is a bit on the small side but it was decorated very nice, the bed was comfy and the bathroom was smart and clean. The toiletries are on the wall in full size bottles and smell like a high end men's cologne. Which was ok but I keep getting whiffs of it on my skin. LOL

The hotel is about a 20 min walk from La Rambla and we walked to the Sagrada Famalia from the hotel. Took us about 30 mins at a slow amble.

We sailed out of the canal. Wish we had sailed into the Venice now to see the sights properly.

I booked the hotel through booking.com and breakfast wasn't offered. But for the 14 Euro per person it was worth it. It was lovely. The coffee machine is a free 24 hour service and between 3 and 7 they offer afternoon tea for 2 Euro per person. By that time I had reached food overload and we didn't try it, but it looked well worth the 2 Euro.

The classic room is a bit on the small side but it was decorated very nice, the bed was comfy and the bathroom was smart and clean. The toiletries are on the wall in full size bottles and smell like a high end men's cologne. Which was ok but I keep getting whiffs of it on my skin. LOL

The hotel is about a 20 min walk from La Rambla and we walked to the Sagrada Famalia from the hotel. Took us about 30 mins at a slow amble.

Thanks for that info.

Were any of the ports tendered, and if so how or when do you get the tender tickets?

We were on the previous sailing and did tender in Montenegro. The excursion staff set up on the pool deck around 7:00 to start handing out tender tickets at 7:30. We were up early to watch sail in so grabbed tickets around 7:15. We had tender group 1. Once the ship was cleared they called NCL excursions first then called tender group 1. It was well after 9:00 a.m. when they called our group and we were supposed to be there at 8:00. The ship docked during the day though so we didn't have to tender back.

We were on the previous sailing and did tender in Montenegro. The excursion staff set up on the pool deck around 7:00 to start handing out tender tickets at 7:30. We were up early to watch sail in so grabbed tickets around 7:15. We had tender group 1. Once the ship was cleared they called NCL excursions first then called tender group 1. It was well after 9:00 a.m. when they called our group and we were supposed to be there at 8:00. The ship docked during the day though so we didn't have to tender back.

Thanks Cardbucfan, did you know in advance it was tendering in Kotor, or just when it was presumably mentioned in the dailies?

Thanks Cardbucfan, did you know in advance it was tendering in Kotor, or just when it was presumably mentioned in the dailies?

just off the 5/31 sailing and we docked in Kotor and two other ships in the bay had to tender in. The only port we had to tender was in Dubrovnik and they announced that in the daily that we received the night before. We had to go to get a group tender ticket in the morning. Process seemed to go pretty smooth and even though they said if you missed your number you would have to get a new ticket, they still would let people on.

i guess you really won't know which ports you will dock or tender as it seems to vary from cruise to cruise pending on port traffic that day. Also in Kotor the two ships that had to tender were in the bay before us and we pulled right into the dock. That was super convenient to dock as you are right in town and can easily get on and off the ship. It was an 8am to 7:30 pm all aboard time so very long day in port.

Mykonos we were the only ones to dock as two other ships tendered in to town also there before us.

NOTE : ship sells transportation in Dubrovnik from port to Old town for $15 RT per person. Cab line is a short walk away (20m) on main road and you can take a taxi to town for 10E there and 13E return. Yes they do except Euros, we found most places in town did or we used our credit cards. Did not have to exchange money to Kuna. We were a family of four so the cab was the better option for us, they ship of course makes it sound like their transportation is the way to go. I prefer to be on my own schedule and not wait around for the bus to fill up etc...

just off the 5/31 sailing and we docked in Kotor and two other ships in the bay had to tender in. The only port we had to tender was in Dubrovnik and they announced that in the daily that we received the night before. We had to go to get a group tender ticket in the morning. Process seemed to go pretty smooth and even though they said if you missed your number you would have to get a new ticket, they still would let people on.

i guess you really won't know which ports you will dock or tender as it seems to vary from cruise to cruise pending on port traffic that day. Also in Kotor the two ships that had to tender were in the bay before us and we pulled right into the dock. That was super convenient to dock as you are right in town and can easily get on and off the ship. It was an 8am to 7:30 pm all aboard time so very long day in port.

Mykonos we were the only ones to dock as two other ships tendered in to town also there before us.

NOTE : ship sells transportation in Dubrovnik from port to Old town for $15 RT per person. Cab line is a short walk away (20m) on main road and you can take a taxi to town for 10E there and 13E return. Yes they do except Euros, we found most places in town did or we used our credit cards. Did not have to exchange money to Kuna. We were a family of four so the cab was the better option for us, they ship of course makes it sound like their transportation is the way to go. I prefer to be on my own schedule and not wait around for the bus to fill up etc...

Ok so its definitely just wait and see on the tenders. I am just praying that as one of only 3 ships into Dubrovnik that I know of, that it will be less busy than last year, where I took the NCL transfer and gave up and was back on the ship within an hour or two....I stood at the entrance to the old city, and all I could see was a non moving mass of people.

I read the dailies every day, and carry it around with me, as I never want to miss anything!

Already got my Kuna, as figured may as well when I bought my Euros yesterday, this time I won't change them back as I do like Croatian ports.

Thanks for the taxi prices, I may do that instead of being reliant on the transfer schedules.

Hi. With regards to tenders, do you always need to get tickets in advance, as on other cruise ships I've been on, the tender just runs backwards and forwards throughout the day, so you just go to the gangway and get on the next one. If so, how soon can you get one, as don't really want to get up at 7am. According to the brochure, my cruise has two tenders. Will that be right?

• 1 month later...

We’ve been there a few times and it’s our favorite town. Staying for 3 days in the Cannaregio district north of the Grand Canal this time, since we haven’t explored it yet.

We’ll be in cabin 11530, forward on the port side. This will be our 3rd cruise; 2nd with NCL.

Friends have advised us to take some DVDs, but I can’t find any info on whether the BA cabins have a DVD player. I sorta doubt it, but if anyone knows, please advise.

John and Jenny

We’ve been there a few times and it’s our favorite town. Staying for 3 days in the Cannaregio district north of the Grand Canal this time, since we haven’t explored it yet.

We’ll be in cabin 11530, forward on the port side. This will be our 3rd cruise; 2nd with NCL.

Friends have advised us to take some DVDs, but I can’t find any info on whether the BA cabins have a DVD player. I sorta doubt it, but if anyone knows, please advise.

John and Jenny

we were on the Spirit on 18 July Barcelona to Venice in a balcony cabin-no DVD player I'm afraid