Princess solo

NatalieWood

Hey NatalieWood, BTW you're VERY courageous to get on the water with a handle like that...:D

I have sailed solo on Princess over 10 times. Princess will list solo meet and greets in the Patter (the daily activities journal). Sometimes it's a meet-up before disembarking at a port of call, sometimes a pre-dinner cocktail and then whoever shows up has dinner together, other times it's just a social. These are supposed to be hosted by a cruise staff, although I have attended one or two where no cruise staff showed up. Also, since the meet-ups take place mostly at a public venue like one of the bars or lounges, you have to figure out who is there for the solo event, it's not always very well organized. But at least Princess makes an effort. I have enjoyed EVERY single one of my Princess solo cruises, but mainly because I join a lot of organized events like trivia and other games where you can get into teams. I have met a lot of super nice people that way, often becoming friends during the cruise.

I have sailed solo on Princess over 10 times....But at least Princess makes an effort. I have enjoyed EVERY single one of my Princess solo cruises, but mainly because I join a lot of organized events like trivia and other games where you can get into teams. I have met a lot of super nice people that way, often becoming friends during the cruise.

Thanks Oh2B@C for the reassurance. I am taking my first solo cruise (and only my second cruise ever) next month on Princess to the Western Caribbean. It's not my style to do things alone but I decided to take the leap. I'll keep my eye out for the solo meet and greet and other activities. I've also affiliated with my roll call group so I feel like I've already made a few buddies even before I board. :)

Save

Save

I have done two Princess cruises (both solo). I suggest going along to the first meet up listed in the patter. If you don't like the people you never have to go again. But I found these people often sat together at shows etc and sometimes arrange shore excursions together for those interested.

After many years and many cruises on Celebrity, I am researching my first Princess cruise (I always go solo). I am looking at The Ruby Princess

to the Mexican Riviera in February. I haven't booked it yet but am looking at that one.

Hope you have a good time on your cruise:)

Edited by Lois R

After many years and many cruises on Celebrity, I am researching my first Princess cruise (I always go solo). I am looking at The Ruby Princess

to the Mexican Riviera in February. I haven't booked it yet but am looking at that one.

Hope you have a good time on your cruise:)

Lois, I think you'll love Princess! I've never sailed Celebrity but I've sailed RCCL, Holland America, Disney and Princess. Princess is my favorite cruise line and I hear the Ruby is awesome! Enjoy and write a review when you get back!:D

To be fair my one and only Princess cruise was several years ago and things may be better now, but it was the worst cruise/vacation I have ever been on. It was obvious that they did not deal with many solo women and had no desire to. Couple highlights:

The Maitre D referred to me as an "it" when some snarky couples questioned why a solo was placed at "their" shared seating table. He stated "I have to seat it somewhere".

Was told they could not sell me a seat at the Chef's Tasting Table unless I bought two tickets.

A staff member strongly suggested in a menacing fashion that they could cause "customs problems" when I questioned why I was told I could not self walk off the ship.

Steward stated I should only need one bath towel since "it's just you".

Management was always conveniently not available to address anything while on board. Hoping things have improved!

To be fair my one and only Princess cruise was several years ago and things may be better now, but it was the worst cruise/vacation I have ever been on. It was obvious that they did not deal with many solo women and had no desire to. Couple highlights:

The Maitre D referred to me as an "it" when some snarky couples questioned why a solo was placed at "their" shared seating table. He stated "I have to seat it somewhere".

Was told they could not sell me a seat at the Chef's Tasting Table unless I bought two tickets.

A staff member strongly suggested in a menacing fashion that they could cause "customs problems" when I questioned why I was told I could not self walk off the ship.

Steward stated I should only need one bath towel since "it's just you".

Management was always conveniently not available to address anything while on board. Hoping things have improved!

How many years ago was this?

I have done 15 cruises with Princess - all solo

I have had a fabulous holiday each time, and been treated with nothing but kindness and politeness :)

I enjoy my own company and do not attend the solo gatherings, so I can't tell you about them

For simplicity, safety and convenience I always book ship excursions and enjoy them

Just returned from a fabulous cruise on Sun Princess to Papua New Guinea, and would go back in a heartbeat :D

It was eight years ago, but still fresh in my memory as absolutely awful!

Hmmm.......this will give me some food for thought. 8 years is a long

time ago. And from what the previous poster said, they had a wonderful

time on their recent cruise.

Hi, Lois. After sailing exclusively on Holland America, I'm also trying Princess for the first time at the end of January (Royal Princess, to be specific). I'm hoping that there will be more to do during the day.

Hopefully things have changed with Princess for the better!

Me again.......I still haven't decided what I am going to do.......I just

keep going back and forth......cruiseline.....date....itinerary.......which

one.....which one.......:eek:

I'd highly suggest you touch base with your roll call for that cruise and go to the meet and greet.

Often you can meet people through the roll call or meet and greet to tour with or just have someone to touch base with. Some roll calls and meet and greets are better than others, but I've had some good luck meeting other ladies traveling either alone or together to spend some time with.

Good morning......was your post for me?:)....I know all about the roll

calls.....you are right, some can be quite fun and friendly. Other ones?

Not so much:eek:....but I do I agree, they can be a nice way of chatting

with other people who are on the same cruise.

When I was on Ruby Princess about a year ago, the demographics seemed to fit between Carnival and Holland America, although there a lot of old geezers overdue to switch to HAL.

The first solo meet, two guys and one woman showed up. There were two more meets in the program but nobody else showed up. So there were either no other solos or they were all like Darcy15. Most passengers seemed to fit "couch potato". Activities were geared to that level, pretty much lowest-common-denominator, sit-at-home-watching-TV. Management just didn't seem to care.

Overall, I decided "not bad enough to avoid, not good enough to recommend".

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking into my first solo cruise and am looking at a couple British Isles ones on Princess. How is princess for solo travelers? Can anyone point me towards a review?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

May of 2015 I went solo on the Grand Princes in Alaska. Had a fabulous time! My room steward was wonderfully attentive. The waiters in the dining room were perfect!

I had such a good time I have booked another solo cruise with Princess for October 2017.

I believe its your attitude that decides whether you will have a good time or not. I am shy and quiet and I had a blast. Met some wonderful people, some I am still friends with. Go for it. Have fun!