Ft. Lauderdale Airport Major Problem

Kartgv

There's a breaking news story - apparently a shooting at Ft. Lauderdale airport, as many as 9 people shot. If anyone is heading that way currently or later in the day, check news updates and stay safe! If it's not too late, you may want to make alternative flight arrangements or even rent a car if possible. This is going to have a major impact on cruisers this weekend.

Edited by Kartgv

There's a breaking news story - apparently a shooting at Ft. Lauderdale airport, as many as 9 people shot. If anyone is heading that way currently or later in the day, check news updates and stay safe! If it's not too late, you may want to make alternative flight arrangements or even rent a car if possible. This is going to have a major impact on cruisers this weekend.

Not sure it will have "major impact" on cruisers this weekend. There is no ground stop at this time. The shooter is in custody. I'm sure that some things will be shuffled around, but I imagine all ir ops will be resolved by this evening.

The snow and ice blanketing parts of the country will cause far more havoc and disruption.

Not sure it will have "major impact" on cruisers this weekend. There is no ground stop at this time. The shooter is in custody. I'm sure that some things will be shuffled around, but I imagine all ir ops will be resolved by this evening.

The snow and ice blanketing parts of the country will cause far more havoc and disruption.

The incident also happened landside, apparently at T2 baggage claim. But, sounded like FLL did a T2 terminal dump, so those at the airport today will experience issues getting airside, as everyone will get scanned, some for a second time.

But, it will not affect operations, just those out of T2, and even then, only for a few hours. As Ducklite said, the winter storms happening all over will cause more issues. Planes delayed/stuck around the US have an effect all over. Crew timeouts will play a part in who gets where when... Even SLC contributed to the nastiness early this week. First time in a long time that everything was shutdown due to a huge stalled snowstorm. SLC is known as one of the best airports for winter operations, too. It was just too much snow too fast to keep things clear. Flights cancelled as early as 6pm to not go out until the next morning. Wherever those flights were going to - flights cancelled until those craft could get into position. Not fun.

Edited by slidergirl

ATC just confirmed that the entire airport is closed. So much for claims that only T2 is affected or this might not disrupt things for this weekend's cruise passengers. Fact is none of us know how this is going to turn out or how much disruption this will cause.

Heard on my Flight Scanner that all flights are being diverted to Miami.

MSNBC just reported that the gunman was on an Air Canada flight who had a gun checked in his bag. He apparently claimed his bag, went into the restroom, loaded his gun and then came out shooting.

Edited by kitty9

Heard on my Flight Scanner that all flights are being diverted to Miami.

MSNBC just reported that the gunman was on an Air Canada flight who had a gun checked in his bag. He apparently claimed his bag, went into the restroom, loaded his gun and then came out shooting.

shocked that it got through security in his checked bag :eek:

The bags are supposed to be scanned before loaded on the planes

Sheriff is now saying that the entire airport is closed and will remain so until it has been entirely cleared. Lots of abandoned luggage to deal with as part of that. Looks like it will cause a lot of havoc and disruption, it already has, and it certainly has affected operations.

shocked that it got through security in his checked bag :eek:

The bags are supposed to be scanned before loaded on the planes

Guns are allowed in checked bags. There are specific procedures for them but they are allowed.

No second shooter. Shooter was military who had flown in from Alaska through Canada.

Latest I heard was he connected in Minneapolis

not on an Canadian flight

Guess more will come out later

Guns are allowed in checked bags. There are specific procedures for them but they are allowed.

The gun can be checked but not not carried aboard into passenger compartment. You must havedd specifiic IDI, suchasa militarty, law enforcement and must declare.there is a gun in your checked luggage in an approved lock box..... same for ammo. I appears from reports I have heard, today's shooter did the above. :rolleyes: He collected the checked bag at lugage c laim, went to rest room and loaded the gun then came out shooting. Pefhaps that permission needs to be reconsidered. Seeing it was allowed, is it really shocking howw badly it went today Hopfully, this procedure will be denied in the future.

Edited by sail7seas