Sept. 11 Dream is cancelled. Looking for recos and a shoulder to cry on!

Topheriscruisin

I understand why upcoming cruises are being cancelled and I know that there are way more upsetting things happening around the US with Houston and the literal hurricane barreling towards us, but I am so beyond disappointed with the cancellation of our cruise. Like all cruisers, we've been looking forward to this for months.

I'd love feedback on cruising during the winter time. Is it worth it? What are the pros and cons? Also I'd love to hear everyone's favorite time to sail. We were looking forward to celebrating Halloween on the DCL, but what are your favorite celebrations on the cruise? Christmas time? Star Wars day? Also we prepaid for parking at Port Canaveral -- does anyone if we'll get refund?

I'm trying to stay positive and see this as an opportunity to save money and do a little more research on timing. Trying to look for a silver lining.

Hoping everyone stays safe, especially the folks currently out at sea, and hoping that this hurricane does minimal damage. I'm very thankful that Disney told us earlier than usual. If you're cruise was cancelled, I know how you feel! :loudcry:

I understand why upcoming cruises are being cancelled and I know that there are way more upsetting things happening around the US with Houston and the literal hurricane barreling towards us, but I am so beyond disappointed with the cancellation of our cruise. Like all cruisers, we've been looking forward to this for months.

I'd love feedback on cruising during the winter time. Is it worth it? What are the pros and cons? Also I'd love to hear everyone's favorite time to sail. We were looking forward to celebrating Halloween on the DCL, but what are your favorite celebrations on the cruise? Christmas time? Star Wars day? Also we prepaid for parking at Port Canaveral -- does anyone if we'll get refund?

I'm trying to stay positive and see this as an opportunity to save money and do a little more research on timing. Trying to look for a silver lining.

Hoping everyone stays safe, especially the folks currently out at sea, and hoping that this hurricane does minimal damage. I'm very thankful that Disney told us earlier than usual. If you're cruise was cancelled, I know how you feel! :loudcry:

We've cruised in Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul,Sep, Oct, Dec (not all DCL, or all Caribbean). Loved all of them.

Not a particular fan of Halloween on the High Seas (that said, we've done 4 of those cruises). Nor Star Wars. Do like the Christmas cruises. The difference being, The Christmas cruises just have Christmas decorations/entertainment, while the other themed cruises have specific days/events that take away from the "cruise" feel.

I looked up Port Canaveral Parking, and it looks like, as long as you cancel 24 hours ahead you'll get a refund.

we prefer Nov thru March for the Carribean--For one thing it is winter here and summer in the Caribe. For another Hurricane season is over so only weather issues are getting to the departure port. Early to mid November seems to be less crowded--late Feb best of all times (height of winter)--but truth be known--any cruise week is better than any regular week whenever it occurs

We have done 2 cruises in December and one in Feb Of course the Feb. cruise was the Southern Caribbean so the weather was perfect especially when it was 10 degrees back home. :)

We did DCL out of Galveston in December and the weather was perfect in Mexico. It wasn't too hot like in July but you could wear shorts.

I have also done a Bahamas cruise in Dec. My girls thought the water felt great at the beach but then again they are teenagers. The water is always cold for me.

I don't think you could go wrong doing a winter cruise. Anything in the Caribbean is better than freezing cold temperatures.

As far as Disney cancelling cruises I was amazed to see how early they cancelled. I am glad they announced so early so that people can make other arrangements. I know people who were booked on cruises and they are disappointed but I think it is a risk when you go during Hurricane season. It does stink though!

I have done a CCL cruise in October and we got stuck in the middle of a Sub-Tropical storm and it was bad. Everyone on the ship was sick. The sad thing was we had no communication from the captain or anything. Other ships stayed in port in Nassau while we decided to leave and then couldn't get to port in Jacksonville. It was not a fun experience for half our group.