Epic 8/27-9/3 review

pe4all

We are on Epic from October 15. Our stop in Palma has been rescheduled. We are now stopping in Marseille. Some excuse about Palma beng busy! Doesn't look that way on the Port schedule. Marseille will save fuel costs I suppose!

There wasn't a lot of cruise ship dockage space in Palma - maybe just for 2 ships. We also saw many signs around for a giant fall festival they have in Palma each year, running from 11/19-11/22. This may have impacted your port schedule.

Pe4all

Thanks for all your great info. You answered all my questions and then some. I really want euros in my hand when I get to Barcelona. However, Wells Fargo would not sell to me as I have no checking with them. Not sure what to do. Guess I'll have to hit the ATM upon arrival.

Happy Fall

Judy

We got ours from Chase bank, but we have accounts there. Not sure why you would need a checking account at a bank to get Euros - we handed them cash, and they ordered the euros for us - never asked if we had an account. I am sure the airport will have a money exchange booth - I know JFK had several as we walked through the terminal. The BCN airport also had several we saw. I also know our AAA (automobile association) exchanges money. We took about $500 worth of euros just to have it on hand - again, we used our "no foreign transaction fee" credit card as much as possible.

Thanks for the review! I headed to Rome in 10 days and on the Epic a week later, so very much enjoyed reading about your trip!

I'm a shopper, so thanks for the info on the VAT. I did that in Ireland and made one mistake--don't remember now what it was--turned everything in, they said it was fine and off we went. Three months later, I got a letter telling me I'd made a mistake and they charged the entire VAT to my credit card. It was a lot more than what yours was! Guess I shop more than you do. LOL.

I've been on the Epic before and can't wait to return. I loved Priscilla and am looking forward to revisiting that show. This is such a port-intensive cruise I'm thinking I won't be donig much in the evenings other than going to bed early to be rested for the next day. :D

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience!

Pe4all

Thanks for all your great info. You answered all my questions and then some. I really want euros in my hand when I get to Barcelona. However, Wells Fargo would not sell to me as I have no checking with them. Not sure what to do. Guess I'll have to hit the ATM upon arrival.

Happy Fall

Judy

Judy, I like to have cash-in-hand when I land, too.For my first major trip to Europe, we were traveling through 13 countries and I had to get six different currencies so went to Wells Fargo, but I bank there. Now when it's just one week and then a cruise, I just hit the ATM as soon as I land. They have them in the airport. Don't go to the currency exchange kiosks--you'll get a poor exchange or a large fee or both. Your best bet is an ATM. I always keep a few bills after the trip as I go every year (I have E40 or 50 from my trip last year that I'll have with me but will still hit the ATM while I'm waiting for my luggage or before I'm out the door of the airport).

Thanks for the review! I headed to Rome in 10 days and on the Epic a week later, so very much enjoyed reading about your trip!

I'm a shopper, so thanks for the info on the VAT. I did that in Ireland and made one mistake--don't remember now what it was--turned everything in, they said it was fine and off we went. Three months later, I got a letter telling me I'd made a mistake and they charged the entire VAT to my credit card. It was a lot more than what yours was! Guess I shop more than you do. LOL.

I've been on the Epic before and can't wait to return. I loved Priscilla and am looking forward to revisiting that show. This is such a port-intensive cruise I'm thinking I won't be donig much in the evenings other than going to bed early to be rested for the next day. :D

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience!

You are so very welcome! BTW - If you like escape rooms, try to book Escape the Big Top as soon as you board. It is done on the sea day, and they only have 3 times they do it - 10:30, 1, and 3, if I remember correctly. It is free, and quite challenging, and books up very quickly. Have a great upcoming cruise!

Judy, I like to have cash-in-hand when I land, too.For my first major trip to Europe, we were traveling through 13 countries and I had to get six different currencies so went to Wells Fargo, but I bank there. Now when it's just one week and then a cruise, I just hit the ATM as soon as I land. They have them in the airport. Don't go to the currency exchange kiosks--you'll get a poor exchange or a large fee or both. Your best bet is an ATM. I always keep a few bills after the trip as I go every year (I have E40 or 50 from my trip last year that I'll have with me but will still hit the ATM while I'm waiting for my luggage or before I'm out the door of the airport).

Judy - we definitely paid a fee when we got Euros from the bank before we left, but it wasn't too bad. As I said in my review - we have never used an atm, and dh did not want to start in Spain! However, as Quilting Cruiser stated - there are plenty of atm's in the BCN airport, and quite a few we saw while walking in Barcelona.

You are so very welcome! BTW - If you like escape rooms, try to book Escape the Big Top as soon as you board. It is done on the sea day, and they only have 3 times they do it - 10:30, 1, and 3, if I remember correctly. It is free, and quite challenging, and books up very quickly. Have a great upcoming cruise!

I've never done it, but I know what it is. Sounds like fun! I'll have to think about whether I want to spend my one sea doing anything but lounging in the spa! LOL. But if i were to do anything, that is right up my alley. :)

I've never done it, but I know what it is. Sounds like fun! I'll have to think about whether I want to spend my one sea doing anything but lounging in the spa! LOL. But if i were to do anything, that is right up my alley. :)

It is only about 1 hour long - 15 minute intro, then 45 min. to try to solve all the puzzles and escape. I also did not want to "waste" my one sea day - but we did the 10:30 one and were out by 11:30.

It is only about 1 hour long - 15 minute intro, then 45 min. to try to solve all the puzzles and escape. I also did not want to "waste" my one sea day - but we did the 10:30 one and were out by 11:30.

Good to know! thanks!

We almost did one for my daughter's bridal shower but we had a few to many people--it looked like a blast.

Judy - we definitely paid a fee when we got Euros from the bank before we left, but it wasn't too bad. As I said in my review - we have never used an atm, and dh did not want to start in Spain! However, as Quilting Cruiser stated - there are plenty of atm's in the BCN airport, and quite a few we saw while walking in Barcelona.

Thanks. Feel better now. Might try Chase. Tried AAA too and the link went to the Wells Fargo sight. It was something about not having a revenue generating account that prevented me from buying Euros from them.....my mortgage and IRA accounts didn't qualify:mad:

Thanks to Quilting Cruiser for info too:D

Thanks. Feel better now. Might try Chase. Tried AAA too and the link went to the Wells Fargo sight. It was something about not having a revenue generating account that prevented me from buying Euros from them.....my mortgage and IRA accounts didn't qualify:mad:

Thanks to Quilting Cruiser for info too:D

If your local AAA office is close to you, and you are a member, I would just stop in. As you are not adverse to using an atm, I would get just a few euro in small denominations to carry, and then pull the rest out of atm's as you need them in Europe. Just beware - atm's sometimes carry a small fee to withdraw foreign money also. (3% for some)

If your local AAA office is close to you, and you are a member, I would just stop in. As you are not adverse to using an atm, I would get just a few euro in small denominations to carry, and then pull the rest out of atm's as you need them in Europe. Just beware - atm's sometimes carry a small fee to withdraw foreign money also. (3% for some)

I've never paid a fee at a European ATM--not saying some don't charge them, but I've never been charged by one and I've used ATMs in about 15 European countries. :D

I've never paid a fee at a European ATM--not saying some don't charge them, but I've never been charged by one and I've used ATMs in about 15 European countries. :D

If I had used my Chase debit card, I would have been charged atm fees - but Chase would have then re-imbursed them when they appeared on my account. I guess the best thing to do is to check with your bank before traveling and see what their policies are!!

Pe4all

Happy Fall

Judy

There are ATMs at the airport and you get the best exchange rate. You'll be fine.

Excellent review. Thanks for posting. The Med was my old stomping grounds when I was in the Navy and Barcelona was one of my main layovers when I flew for United. Nice reading about some of my favorite places. We're on Epic to Barcelona from Port Canaveral in the spring and really looking forward to it. Your review keeps us psyched.

There are ATMs at the airport and you get the best exchange rate. You'll be fine.

Ok thanks. That's what I'll have to do.

I live in the desert. We have Chase n Wells Fargo...no luck there.

My car service at BCN will just have to wait till I find an ATM.....if he wants a tip. BTW, do private transfers n taxis expect tips in Spain? Sorry, didn't mean to start a new thread.:rolleyes:Judy

Ok thanks. That's what I'll have to do.

I live in the desert. We have Chase n Wells Fargo...no luck there.

My car service at BCN will just have to wait till I find an ATM.....if he wants a tip. BTW, do private transfers n taxis expect tips in Spain? Sorry, didn't mean to start a new thread.:rolleyes:Judy

There are ATMs in the airport. Easy. :)

Excellent review. Thanks for posting. The Med was my old stomping grounds when I was in the Navy and Barcelona was one of my main layovers when I flew for United. Nice reading about some of my favorite places. We're on Epic to Barcelona from Port Canaveral in the spring and really looking forward to it. Your review keeps us psyched.

Thank you! After all my research, I figured I would "pass it on" to others who had an upcoming cruise on Epic. BTW - a transatlantic is also on my bucket list!

[quote name=twobuckbear;54015066

My car service at BCN will just have to wait till I find an ATM.....if he wants a tip. BTW' date=' do private transfers n taxis expect tips in Spain? Sorry, didn't mean to start a new thread.:rolleyes:Judy[/quote]

No, they do not expect tips. We gave the driver 5 euros when we got to our hotel, and he literally thanked us up and down. Then the bellmen who came out of our hotel to get the bags from the car told us that they get paid a "living wage" and not to tip extra to drivers, taxis, restaurants, - even the bellmen! We did not tip our other private transfer drivers after that. We ended up "rounding up" our restaurant bills and taxi rides, and the all were very grateful. We did tip our private tour people nicely, though. (Naples, Florence, Pompeii)

Thank you! After all my research, I figured I would "pass it on" to others who had an upcoming cruise on Epic. BTW - a transatlantic is also on my bucket list!

No, they do not expect tips. We gave the driver 5 euros when we got to our hotel, and he literally thanked us up and down. Then the bellmen who came out of our hotel to get the bags from the car told us that they get paid a "living wage" and not to tip extra to drivers, taxis, restaurants, - even the bellmen! We did not tip our other private transfer drivers after that. We ended up "rounding up" our restaurant bills and taxi rides, and the all were very grateful. We did tip our private tour people nicely, though. (Naples, Florence, Pompeii)

Noted. Thank you. Good to know. Perhaps then I'll wait until Sunday AM and find an ATM near hotel before heading to Epic. Judy

Praying for Florida n surrounding areas.

The rates in airports are usually amongst worst anywhere. Bureau de change's in airports are essentially legal theft.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I flew internationally for forty years and never found better rates than with ATMs, either at the airport or anywhere else in any country. I didn't say anything about using Bureau de Change.