Need to insert card for power on Zaandam?

MVPinBoynton

When on the NA a few weeks ago I was surprised to see that we had to put a key card into a receptacle to have power turn on in the cabin; like as in many hotel rooms. Do they also use these on the Zaandam? If so, we will bring our old NA key card to use.

When on the NA a few weeks ago I was surprised to see that we had to put a key card into a receptacle to have power turn on in the cabin; like as in many hotel rooms. Do they also use these on the Zaandam? If so, we will bring our old NA key card to use.

No, no card needed, just switch on the light...

How much trouble would it be to bring ONE extra credit card?

DON

Well, it isn’t a problem; but remembering to take it out when you leave the ship can be. Fortunately, I realized it could be an issue and used my AAA card, rather than a credit card. My replacement AAA card is in the mail. :D

The first time we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam -- many years ago -- I used a very old AAA card. One we had to use many years ago for the safes. So I didn't have to worry should the cabin steward take it out and not leave it in a partial position to push it down to turn on the lights.

Remember that the air conditioning still stays on.

Have you ever wondered how much some idiot gets paid to think up 'key" cards in slots in rooms to turn on the lights???? So glad HAL only did this on one ship!

No one had to think this one up ;). Many hotels in Europe operate this way to conserve electricity. The idea of using your room key card is to prevent you from leaving lights on when you are not in the room.

We just came off the Kdam a week ago & I simply used one of my biz cards... Just standard biz card, not plastic & no magnetic stripes. Keep it simple!

We used a business card on the Kdam also. Roommate and I found it easier to do this rather than switching cards in and out of the slot when one or the other left the cabin.

Why would you not just use the slot the way it was intended?
When one person is leaving and one is staying in the cabin, it's a nuisance to switch cards if the one in slot belongs to the person leaving. It happened to us too often, so we now just use any old thing that works and never fully remove it, but just lift it a little.

No one had to think this one up ;). Many hotels in Europe operate this way to conserve electricity. The idea of using your room key card is to prevent you from leaving lights on when you are not in the room.

Yes, a lot of hotels here in Spain use that system to make sure you switch the lights off. The trouble is sometimes the fridge/mini bar is on the same circuit and that goes off as well :D

and for elevators too! Try standing in an elevator pushing buttons and it won't move till you put or show your room card to a monitor or whatever it is called. it feels pretty foolish until you get with it.

The idea of using your room key card is to prevent you from leaving lights on when you are not in the room.
On our last time on the N.A. the steward left a blank white card in the slot for the first 2 or 3 days, and several times we found lights on when we returned to the room.