Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

If I am doing a back-to-back cruise does that count as one cruise, and, therefore, only allowed to bring the two bottles,of spirit. Or, can I get off the ship on turnaround and get two more bottles.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As I read it yes. Remember if you get duty free at the end of Cruise one, just use that. We do that now so I cannot see why that should change

One has to maintain ones health and a dram is perfect for that. Best cold remedy ever, a hot toddie.

Is there any other measure than a double? And that's a quarter Gil measure not the pathetic little ones used else where in the world.;)

Indeed, I like the two finger pour, I have decent size fingers though.:halo: All that sport in my younger days, built me up.

If I am doing a back-to-back cruise does that count as one cruise, and, therefore, only allowed to bring the two bottles,of spirit. Or, can I get off the ship on turnaround and get two more bottles.

For our experience having done two B2B cruises.

We couldn't top up our alcohol allowance

Sent from my SM-T715 using Forums mobile app

If they ever do one, they may prove me wrong but I doubt they would give a free drinks package on a World Cruise. Think of the cost to them :eek:

Very true; they never offer free drinks packages on trans-ocean sailings. And recent Celebrity pricing is so high that P&O+drinks would almost certainly be a lot cheaper.

Stuart

Just back from 2 weeks on Aurora where I decided to "road test" the new policy. I took onboard 1 bottle of brandy. Bought some gin and tonics from Room Service; delivered with a smile in 20 minutes and at a slightly lower price than I would have paid in Tesco, so that's fine. Also my favourite brandy is availble fro 2 pounds less than in the supermarket so may not bother with taking that next time.

Looking at the "Drinking In" list now provided in cabins. it seems to me that whisky, rum and gin drinkers are reasonably well provided for unless you like a particular malt, but there's only one brandy (fortunately one I really like) and very little choice of vodka; I'll take Absolut flavoured next time as I would have preferred that to gin.

However the thing I really don't like is the inability to buy ashore some local wine etc to try. I bought some vintage port for my husband, who doesn't cruise, as he loves it, but that would have been my lot as it would have been taken off me to bring home and that would have been my total allowance. I DID try a local bottle of wine one day, but realised that will be the last time it's possible.

I'm going to write to Head Office asking for a wider range of in cabin drinks to be stocked, and for the rule about trying a local wine to be relaxed. I really don't like being treated like this, and predict a wide range of smuggling from people who previously, like me, only ever took one or two bottles onboard. After all, if you punish everyone for the bad behaviour of a few, you generate general resentment and devious behaviour. Basic psychology really; very surprised that no one in !Senior Management" is aware of it. If you treat them like naughty schoolchildren they'll behave like that.

Just back from 2 weeks on Aurora where I decided to "road test" the new policy. I took onboard 1 bottle of brandy. Bought some gin and tonics from Room Service; delivered with a smile in 20 minutes and at a slightly lower price than I would have paid in Tesco, so that's fine. Also my favourite brandy is availble fro 2 pounds less than in the supermarket so may not bother with taking that next time.

Looking at the "Drinking In" list now provided in cabins. it seems to me that whisky, rum and gin drinkers are reasonably well provided for unless you like a particular malt, but there's only one brandy (fortunately one I really like) and very little choice of vodka; I'll take Absolut flavoured next time as I would have preferred that to gin.

However the thing I really don't like is the inability to buy ashore some local wine etc to try. I bought some vintage port for my husband, who doesn't cruise, as he loves it, but that would have been my lot as it would have been taken off me to bring home and that would have been my total allowance. I DID try a local bottle of wine one day, but realised that will be the last time it's possible.

I'm going to write to Head Office asking for a wider range of in cabin drinks to be stocked, and for the rule about trying a local wine to be relaxed. I really don't like being treated like this, and predict a wide range of smuggling from people who previously, like me, only ever took one or two bottles onboard. After all, if you punish everyone for the bad behaviour of a few, you generate general resentment and devious behaviour. Basic psychology really; very surprised that no one in !Senior Management" is aware of it. If you treat them like naughty schoolchildren they'll behave like that.

If the wine you are buying is duty paid in an EU country you are not restricted to one two or three bottles. If you do not have any DF drinks you can take home as much as you can carry.

Are you aware that the new policy doesn’t come into place until next year, so you needn’t have restricted yourself in the ways you describe on your latest cruise?

If the wine you are buying is duty paid in an EU country you are not restricted to one two or three bottles. If you do not have any DF drinks you can take home as much as you can carry.

You can take it home but not drink it onboard because P&O will kindly look after it until the last cruise day. In the past I have bought a couple of bottles of local beer in some ports and enjoyed them on the cabin balcony. I am disappointed that I can no longer do that. I certainly have no wish to carry them home.

You can take it home but not drink it onboard because P&O will kindly look after it until the last cruise day. In the past I have bought a couple of bottles of local beer in some ports and enjoyed them on the cabin balcony. I am disappointed that I can no longer do that. I certainly have no wish to carry them home.

You may not wish to take it home but Clodia, whom I was giving an answer wants to take some home for her husband. I would not take any home either.

Are you aware that the new policy doesn’t come into place until next year, so you needn’t have restricted yourself in the ways you describe on your latest cruise?

Yes. I wanted to see what it was like being restricted, and to decide whether or not I still wanted to cruise with P and O. I think on the whole I do, but I cannot pretend to be happy about the restriction of freedoms, and it may one day get to me to the extent that I just jump ship!

Yes. I wanted to see what it was like being restricted, and to decide whether or not I still wanted to cruise with P and O. I think on the whole I do, but I cannot pretend to be happy about the restriction of freedoms, and it may one day get to me to the extent that I just jump ship!

Ah, I see. Understand your frustration but, out of interest, which cruise line(s) might you be tempted to switch to? I understand from previous responses on this thread that, even after next years restrictions, P&O will still have a more liberal policy than most other lines.

Ah, I see. Understand your frustration but, out of interest, which cruise line(s) might you be tempted to switch to? I understand from previous responses on this thread that, even after next years restrictions, P&O will still have a more liberal policy than most other lines.

That is along the paths my thinking is on. We are going back to Fred early next year just for a change. We got the drinks package included.

I know we can take no drinks onboard with us and any brought onboard from ports is taken away..

it will be different, have to see how different. On pando I used to have 1 glass of wine pre dinner..I guess I can go out to the bars and get one, but not sure I will bother. OH likes a nightcap..in his jimmy jammies...not sure he could go to the bars like that:eek:

As you say pando still seems easier with their policy than the American lines.

That is along the paths my thinking is on. We are going back to Fred early next year just for a change. We got the drinks package included.

I know we can take no drinks onboard with us and any brought onboard from ports is taken away..

it will be different, have to see how different. On pando I used to have 1 glass of wine pre dinner..I guess I can go out to the bars and get one, but not sure I will bother. OH likes a nightcap..in his jimmy jammies...not sure he could go to the bars like that:eek:

As you say pando still seems easier with their policy than the American lines.

Yes, like you we sometimes have a pre dinner drink in our cabin (often whilst watching a port sailaway from our balcony), but almost certainly wouldn’t bother to go and buy one if it wasn’t to hand. We don’t drink enough alcohol to warrant the extra price of a drinks package (they are never free, if you get them the Cruise price is usually more) and the drinks prices that I have seen quoted from many other cruise lines are eye watering. Being able to take some booze on board and then having reasonable bar prices suits us, so the policy change isn’t a deal breaker for us.

Yes, like you we sometimes have a pre dinner drink in our cabin (often whilst watching a port sailaway from our balcony), but almost certainly wouldn’t bother to go and buy one if it wasn’t to hand. We don’t drink enough alcohol to warrant the extra price of a drinks package (they are never free, if you get them the Cruise price is usually more) and the drinks prices that I have seen quoted from many other cruise lines are eye watering. Being able to take some booze on board and then having reasonable bar prices suits us, so the policy change isn’t a deal breaker for us.

I like an early evening glass of wine in my cabin. Usually waiting for my partner to be ready. It is handy to have a bottle in the fridge rather walk and wait at a bar. On my last cruise I only took two bottles. My next cruise is slightly longer so I might have taken three.

I agree it is not a deal breaker. It just a petty and annoying restriction. One more thing that is putting me off the modern cruise experience. One day there will be nothing left of what I remember being nice about a cruise.

Best wishes, Stephen.

I like an early evening glass of wine in my cabin. Usually waiting for my partner to be ready. It is handy to have a bottle in the fridge rather walk and wait at a bar. On my last cruise I only took two bottles. My next cruise is slightly longer so I might have taken three.

I agree it is not a deal breaker. It just a petty and annoying restriction. One more thing that is putting me off the modern cruise experience. One day there will be nothing left of what I remember being nice about a cruise.

Best wishes, Stephen.

I have to say I don’t feel it a restriction at all as we drink Gin And Tonic and generally buy the bottle from the room service menu. This is £19 less of course our 10% which makes it £17.10. Now the best price at Morrison’s is £15 per Ltr. This is for 37.5% proof as opposed to the export strength from room service.

I have in the past taken a bottle on with us but only when we have had on in the house which we have been given as a present.

I have to say I don’t feel it a restriction at all as we drink Gin And Tonic and generally buy the bottle from the room service menu. This is £19 less of course our 10% which makes it £17.10. Now the best price at Morrison’s is £15 per Ltr. This is for 37.5% proof as opposed to the export strength from room service.

I have in the past taken a bottle on with us but only when we have had on in the house which we have been given as a present.

Please could I ask. How do you get tonics? Are they available from room service.

Best wishes, Stephen.

This post puts things in perspective and TBH the room service menu seems reasonable to me plus i would get 7.5% discount.

My wife and I normally take 2 wine boxes on board which we buy at the airport to drink on our balcony so we can enjoy a glass before dinner (we go to the Caribbean). I also buy a bottle of local white rum to drink with coke. We will no longer be able to do this which is disappointing. Can't see the point of buying it and having it confiscated and returned at end of the cruise as they will be taken off you at Barbados airport! Also, I have several T shirts with film names, band names on them? Will I be able to wear them on board (Adonia) when we join her in January?

Edited by Byrdmaniac
Incorrect word.

Can anyone tell me when this alcohol policy comes into force, I would like to take a box of wine to drink in the cabin while getting ready for the evening, we are sailing 30th January from Southampton to the Canaries, do they check your cases at Southampton. Thanks.

My wife and I normally take 2 wine boxes on board which we buy at the airport to drink on our balcony so we can enjoy a glass before dinner (we go to the Caribbean). I also buy a bottle of local white rum to drink with coke. We will no longer be able to do this which is disappointing. Can't see the point of buying it and having it confiscated and returned at end of the cruise as they will be taken off you at Barbados airport! Also, I have several T shirts with film names, band names on them? Will I be able to wear them on board (Adonia) when we join her in January?

They have to be commercially made and non offensive.

Can anyone tell me when this alcohol policy comes into force, I would like to take a box of wine to drink in the cabin while getting ready for the evening, we are sailing 30th January from Southampton to the Canaries, do they check your cases at Southampton. Thanks.

1st February 2018 is the start date you scrape in.