College Sports on EPIC?

KellyKozma87

Is it true that Norwegian adjusted its contracts and decided that they will NO longer be showing college sporting evens on their on-board broadcast system?

I am asking being I was really hoping to watch some of the college football bowl games during our new year's cruise, BUT, I was told by a Norwegian cruise planner that he overheard a conversation in which college sports will no longer be shown.

If anyone has knowledge of this information, please let me know.

Just off Epic yesterday ..... There were no college games on Saturday when conference championships were on. There were plenty that were not happy with the soccer, cricket and other sports showing instead. The ship was clearly primarily Americans and it is baffling to me that NCL does not feel its necessary to offer more choices.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Forums mobile app

Just off Epic yesterday ..... There were no college games on Saturday when conference championships were on. There were plenty that were not happy with the soccer, cricket and other sports showing instead. The ship was clearly primarily Americans and it is baffling to me that NCL does not feel its necessary to offer more choices.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Forums mobile app

I guess that answers my question ... lol ... sounds like the higher-ups are trying to pinch-pennies ... what a shame... or at least offer it paper-view so that they can make some $$$

Is it true that Norwegian adjusted its contracts and decided that they will NO longer be showing college sporting evens on their on-board broadcast system?

I am asking being I was really hoping to watch some of the college football bowl games during our new year's cruise, BUT, I was told by a Norwegian cruise planner that he overheard a conversation in which college sports will no longer be shown.

Don’t cruise during bowl season and no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is total Bullcrap with 90% of the passengers being from the USA The higher ups at NCL had best rethink their policy. They have no empathy and blow you off like they don't care. Write to Andy Stuart President & COO of Norwegian Cruise Lines at:

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd.

7665 Corporate Center Drive

Miami, FL 33126

United States

Phone: 305-436-4000

We sailed NCL Sky at the end of December before going to the Orange Bowl (about 2 years ago). We asked if they would show any Bowl games and they said they couldn't because of contract rules with their networks.

I guess they only show the big games because we were on board the Getaway and they showed the Final Four basketball game. It was fun to watch with people we didn't know. We weren't going for any of the teams but people were having a great time.

Now futbol is shown all the time. :)

NCL never had a contract for college football (US). NCL has a single international sports channel. You are not in the US any more and there are many non-US passengers who don’t care about US colleges.

The Epic is currently sailing out of Port Canaveral. Not sure if you’re aware of this, but Port Canaveral is in the United States. So yeah. You are in the US. And a lot of people here do care about US colleges. And they care about US college sports teams.

I was very disappointed in the channel lineup on the Escape. They no longer carry the network channels out of Miami which normally aired the college games, matter of fact there were no local channels at all from the US.

The new tv package has CNN/MSNBC/FOX and then combined channels broken down into television shows, movies and sports. The other 20+ channels are basically some sort of NCL content.

They did pipe in some NFL games on the sports channel but the majority of the content was soccer and cricket. So yes.....while you 'aren't in the US anymore' they are sailing from a US port with a overwhelming majority of Americans. It is probably wise to cater to that clientele.

this is one of the things I dislike about NCL, rarely have we gotten any sports on TV, not just college but pros as well. We all screamed enough last year and finally they did have the last of the March madness on TV and I have seen college sports once on the Star as we were about to disembark. It was the night before we were back in Los Angeles. We got some of the scores of the college games and actually saw part of the USC game. Oh, once we saw the Cowboys on the TV in the bar on the Sun. I will add, we had the same situation on HAL. All we got was soccer and international basketball, so it isn't just NCL

Don’t cruise during bowl season and no worries.

That isn't really the point here: she asked a question and deserves an answer. For those, which are many, we do miss our football and other American sports. it doesn't mean we do not want to cruise, it just means we wish we could see a few of our favorite teams playing

Thank you for helping me 0% with my question.

Awesome!

We were on the Jade during the World Series and absolutely no games were shown. We got a Sunday NFL tripleheader (1:00, 4:00, 8:00), and Monday night. There were a lot of passengers from Pennsylvania on the trip who wanted to see Penn State play Ohio State and were disappointed. We got the silly Bundesliga instead.

... The limited tv channels was really bad also. Good thing I don't go on a cruise to watch sports and tv.
This :o :confused: - the limitation and bandwidth considerations for satellite connectivity at sea, until there's a quantum leap to manage streaming high definition contents to satisfy the needs of 1,000+ staterooms. Some wanting cartoon, netflix, youtube, Showtime, etc. while others dream of hockey, soccer, Olympics, Superbowl & World Series ... or something as simple as Facetime or Skype.

Royal C. definitely has the advantage with their Voom package & pricing. NCL could - possibly - address some of this, with PPV and/or Video-on-demands, if its I.T. vendor/partner can come up with a practical fleetwide solution, and, charge a "reasonable" fair use fees, for those who wish to watch or pool together in the sports bar, etc. Let's face it, some of that are "premium" content & only available on our DVR and Roku as part of a package or optional bundle - slap a fee on it and if the connections can handle it, feel free to enjoy it, freestyle by

paying. The rest of us, we will "survive" without it or enjoy our preloaded contents on our devices, online and offline or otherwise. Reasonable - another revenue channel for NCL, ideas for their bean counters.

Awesome!

We were on the Jade during the World Series and absolutely no games were shown. We got a Sunday NFL tripleheader (1:00, 4:00, 8:00), and Monday night. There were a lot of passengers from Pennsylvania on the trip who wanted to see Penn State play Ohio State and were disappointed. We got the silly Bundesliga instead.

As a Penn State fan, watching that game would have ruined their cruise.

I guess the issue is NCL want to appeal to a global clientele and football or soccer as Americans is a global sport played in every country on earth including USA whereas American football is only of interest to one country particularly the college sort

that really makes no sense on their part: the majority of cruisers, depending on the embarkation port are going to be Americans and even if they are not, people who are not interested do not need to watch the games. We are not talking about every game, every weekend, but we are talking the bowl games. I have very few complaints about NCL as most know, this is for sure one of them. NCL, come on show us the bowl games and playoff games.

they havent changed anything contractually, because none ever existed. That said, as far as sports go, you get what they give you, which is a very limited selection. If its a primetime game, or a big national game, maybe you'll be in luck. But pretty much a roll of the dice.

that really makes no sense on their part: the majority of cruisers, depending on the embarkation port are going to be Americans and even if they are not, people who are not interested do not need to watch the games. We are not talking about every game, every weekend, but we are talking the bowl games. I have very few complaints about NCL as most know, this is for sure one of them. NCL, come on show us the bowl games and playoff games.

There is a significant, four part, faulty assumption here.

All (or most) Americans:

A) Love football (American)

B) Want to watch sports (in general) on TV

C) Will watch any team(s) in any "bowl games."

D) Would rather spend their cruise time watching

sports/TV.

Also, don't forget that many cruisers (American or otherwise) would rather enjoy a cocktail at a bar onboard with the only added activity being background music and/or conversation.

There is a significant, four part, faulty assumption here.

All (or most) Americans:

A) Love football (American)

B) Want to watch sports (in general) on TV

C) Will watch any team(s) in any "bowl games."

D) Would rather spend their cruise time watching

sports/TV.

Also, don't forget that many cruisers (American or otherwise) would rather enjoy a cocktail at a bar onboard with the only added activity being background music and/or conversation.

You can pretend that is the case but it isn't. Sports, especially football, has a huge following that consistently fills stadiums, sports bars and living rooms around the nation. I have been on plenty of cruises that showed football games and many times it was was standing room only. So, since the majority of Americans self identify as sports fans lets not pretend those same people don't cruise.

It is one of the few interests that transcends gender, race, cultural boundaries, education and even political beliefs.

fvr-rmuatuo0kblybvk4ig.png

-8mzpr6utk6tdgu9mlsy6q.png