Viking "Christmas in Germany" 2017 Cruise Not as Advertised - Advent Later in 2017

MizAlica

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with Viking River Cruises?! And how did it end for you? Seems like they use NDAs and keep telling me only vouchers - but the thing is, I don't want to go on another cruise, they misled us about what we were getting and are refusing to give me my money back. I really don't wanna have to spend the time and money to sue - but $10,000 is a lot of money.

I'm posting my already written review from other sites for the details - it's a long story and I'm tired of typing it up really... any feedback, suggestions are appreciated!

---

Um no, no thanks. Never again.

I signed up for a Viking River Cruise "Christmas in Germany" cruise in April 2017 for my mother's 50th birthday on assurances we would see "tons of Christmas markets" in Germany - which was the ENTIRE point of the trip to Europe during Thanksgiving. Otherwise we'd have stayed home, it's cold, it rains, it's miserable but the Christmas markets are legendary and something my mother has always wanted to see. So for her birthday, I paid for this cruise.

I booked the most expensive room - one of two Explorer Suites on the third level at the aft of the boat. Our ship was set to depart Nuremberg on 25 November with everyone embarking on 24 November for a 7-day cruise culminating with a final stop in Cologne.

The brochure had the Nuremberg Christmas Market on it - one of the most famous in Germany. It spoke of all the Christmas merriment and smells of mulled cider and Christmas sights we'd see during our cruise.

During our first nightly port meeting - our cruise director, George, informed us that the markets in Nuremberg, Bamberg, and Wurtzberg were all not yet open and were set to open the following week (after we'd all gone home). This meant of all the sights we'd see and places we'd stop - we would see only two markets over seven days - Koblenz and Cologne. Instantly pissed off.

Now, during our cruise it rained and rained and rained. It was also freezing. So all our walking tours were miserable. And no markets. Also, because of all the rain, the water level was so high that our boat only barely moved once and we had to be bused long distances early in the morning from the boat. Hours on buses. Dinners in town at cheap places because we'd get back so late. This happened for about three days before we were eventually forced to disembark three days early (two nights left) and stay in a cheap hotel 40 minutes outside Cologne.

Essentially, I did not get to stay in expensive suite I paid for for two nights, I didn't see the Christmas Markets I paid for (as they were not open yet no one checked the calendar), I did not get the food I paid for for several days (breakfast, lunch and dinner two days in the hotel) and then when we ate in town due to the 3.5 hour one way bus rides we ate at places that ONLY served beef and brat and cabbage - for two additional days lunch and then dinner not to mention the fully stocked fridge and snacks in our room that are complimentary which we did not have at the cheap hotel. I eat very healthy and expected the various menu options on the boat (fish, veggies, etc.) Viking is not cheap and I expected to get my money's worth. I did not. Not even close.

Viking tried to make some things up to us - booking a stop in Miltenberg to shop (still no market) - and booking a cheaper option (fried chicken and soggy veggies for lunch) on a day boat to tour the Scenic Rhine - but it was too little too late for me as we'd spent HOURS on buses. You could also skip Wurzburg and the beautiful Wurzburg residence and go back to Bamberg for the Christmas market again another day - my mom wanted to see the historically rebuilt residence. Also, you could pay even more money (I'd already paid $10,000 for this cruise) to go on an extra excursion to Heidelberg and see their Christmas town (I don't think their market was open but they have an all-year store-type thing) which I chose not to do because, again, I'd already spent $10,000.

Apparently you get bused a lot anyway during these - sometimes 2+ hours each way to these places. I thought the boats pulled into the towns. No.

When I returned I demanded a partial refund - Viking initially offered me a standard $1100 in a future voucher. I said no. They then offered $3300 for a future cruise that I had to book in the next 12 months before it expired and wanted me to sign a non-disclosure. Are you kidding?! For a VOUCHER. They don't sell cruises that are cheap - so in order to see any compensation for this farce of a cruise I'd have to pay them MORE money. At this point - I never want to cruise with them again. Let alone give them thousands more. That is bad business and not a way to compensate customers for mistakes.

Their customer service is awful and I have been put off by the entire experience. I expected better. They told me that they were only "offering" four Christmas markets during this cruise. News to me and everyone else I spoke to on the cruise, most of who flew on Thanksgiving night specifically for the Germany Christmas markets and were devastated not to get to see them and had verified with booking agents and customer service they would see ALL of them in every town we visited. Instead, we saw where they were being set up and would be open the following week for the next cruise. I mentioned that the most famous of the trip, Nuremberg, was on the first page of the cruise booklet and the agent, Rayna, who I spoke to, informed that the photo was simply for marketing purposes and we were never going to see that one, despite embarking and spending two days in Nuremberg. That is shameful. Well, of the four they "offered" - I got to see two of them. Even had they all been open, the schedules were so packed with bus rides, lunches, and walking tours of the cities, at best we had a hurried 30-60 minutes to walk the town by ourselves anyway. So the Christmas markets were never the main attraction - they were simply an afterthought. Extremely disappointing to my mother and I who planned the entire trip ONLY on the markets since she has wanted to see them her entire life. Otherwise, I could easily have visited Europe during warmer and less rainy and windy months when I could've enjoyed it.

From Googling the company at this point I see this part of Germany has issues often with low or high water and clients being removed from boats and swapping to others. What a pain. Also, many complaints against Viking for cruises with issues where they refuse to try to make it right. I for one, plan never to use this company again and I would strongly encourage no one else to either.

Viking continues to hold onto the flooding as my main concern in any interaction we've had - when really - it's more about misleading me about the Christmas markets and the calendar. I'd never have booked had I known I was only ever going to see 4 Christmas markets to begin with - they let everyone think the theme of the cruise was that and book according.

Acts of God are one thing - but messing up Christmas market schedules and misleading customers then claiming they got to do "most of what was promised" (a direct quote from a snarky customer service agent who told me I had no recourse and they would not be discussing with me further) is simply not OK. Most of the individuals I saw on the cruise were elderly - extremely so - and probably take the vouchers for future cruises - don't complain - and don't go posting reviews all over the internet. I'm 33 years old and and I LOVE to travel and I travel 5x or more annually on luxury trips. I had hoped this experience would foster some loyalty for me with Viking and offer another way to travel for me and my friends and family. I had high expectations for them. I even had high expectations they would make this right when I got home and so far I have been nothing but massively disappointed.

Bottom line - Viking River Cruises misrepresented what this cruise was about and is now refusing to offer compensation aside from vouchers (which will cost me more money to use and I am not accepting that) for my missed Christmas markets, two nights of missed accommodations and missed food services on a restricted diet.

**Update 29 December 2017: I just spoke to the very polite and apologetic Viking agent who has been trying to contact me about this issue - I was now offered either 50% off a future cruise - or $500 in cash but both will require an NDA be signed. I'm not signing an NDA for a voucher Viking River Cruises. You owe me a cash refund and much more than $500. You misled every single passenger into thinking they were going to see all those Christmas markets and you are trying to cover the mistake up. There were a ton of elderly people on that cruise and most of them traveled on Thanksgiving day to be there. You should be ashamed. My mother and I spoke to dozens of people who were all furious and upset as they had only done this particular cruise for the markets. Now I'm being told Viking was only ever "offering" four. News to me. Even still, I only saw two. Do better. I appreciate the apology - but asking me to spend more money with you after a mistake this big - is nothing but bad business.

**Update 30 December 2017: BUYER BEWARE - Viking River Cruises has shady social media, PR and customer service tactics involving having employees leave 5-star reviews and having multiple reviews left to push down bad ones. I have refused to sign an NDA as they will not refund my money - today they disabled their reviews on their Facebook site which seems a response to this review I posted on 27 December 2017 about a recent Christmas in Germany Cruise I took where they mis-represented the scheduled events - they can't delete it however - so I copied the link to the original review and posted it on my own FB page, on Yelp, etc. and made it public for all internet searches so it can be found. Bc it had so many comments and likes it was still at the top of the "Most Helpful Column" and they couldn't have that....

I don't know what you were promised or what happened. The Christmas Markets don't open that early. If you booked through a TA, they should have explained this to you, as well of the use of buses to get into towns at some stops. No cruise line controls the weather, and high/low water levels result in many complaints.

I'm not sure what you would sue Viking for and don't know why you think you are owed a full refund, but may have missed something in your long story.

I hope you get some resolution to your unhappiness.

Edited by 6rugrats

I can imagine your disappointment however I think you were unrealistic in your expectations. Perhaps you could have done your homework on exactly when the Christmas markets would open. Most markets don’t open until after Thanksgiving, some are not open during the week or have limited hours but are usually in full swing in the weekends.

Also, had you checked, you’d have known that this time of year is cold, can be rainy and has short days. Also the water level is beyond anyone’s control. I agree, I too would be disappointed if I didn’t get what I planned for and yes, it has happened to us also. We’ve been re-routed, missed nights on the ship, had bus rides but the only thing you can do is make the best of it. There had to be some good times during your travel to amazing towns.

Sorry you’re not being compensated to your satisfaction. Again, it’s your choice not to accept the compensation offered to you. Viking offers a good product, in my opinion, and we’ve traveled with them 10 times with 2 Viking Ocean Cruises this year but when something goes awry their customer service is lacking.

Just an FYI, we’ve also traveled with several other river cruise companies and have experienced some of the same issues but it hasn’t ruined our trips to amazing places and new experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunately the Christmas Markets cruise description problems you describe are not limited to Viking. It is an industry wide problem.

We just completed a cruise with AMA, Basel to Amsterdam, that began on Dec 23. What drew us to the cruise was a wonderful benefit AMA offered. Although the cruise ended in Amsterdam on Dec 30 you could stay onboard for 2 days (a floating hotel), celebrating a remarkable New Years in Amsterdam harbor, and disembark Jan 1.

I hasten to add that my wife and I have taken this exact cruise before, loved it, and knew what to expect in terms of Christmas Markets. Unfortunately, many people did not.

Problems began during the 1st night's cruise manager's briefing.

She told the passengers that they had 2 excursion choices for the next day, Freiburg and Breisach or Riquewihr.

She then added that if you wanted to see a Christmas Market, albeit a small one, then you'd better take the Riquewihr option as this would be the last Market there'd be on the tour.

For many passengers it was a (and let me clean this up) "what the heck" moment.

What compounded the problem is that each night the CM would read from boilerplate text obviously prepared for the actual Christmas Market cruises (describing the Markets in the next day's city) and then sheepishly add that alas they were all closed.

After dinner, the passengers would go back to their rooms to find the next day's Daily Cruiser, once again using templates that were prepared for actual Christmas Markets. You'd read paragraphs about Rudesheim's Christmas Market of the Nations, Strabourg's Capitale de Noel, and Cologne's six markets in one, none of which were opened.

What added to this perfect storm of dissatisfaction was that the passengers would be brought into each city where they saw blocks and blocks of empty Christmas Market stalls and booths.

The final nail in the coffin was that not only were the Christmas Markets closed, but save for a few cafes and souvenir shops, the shops and businesses of Strasbourg, Speyer, and Heidelberg were also closed on Christmas and Boxing Day. One of the passengers groused about being given free time in a closed and empty city.

I totally get the concept that passengers are responsible for doing their research and due diligence and that an experienced TA should sufficiently counsel their clients, but total culpability cannot fall on the passengers and TAs alone.

Similar to the OP's concern with Viking, AMA sells this cruise on their site and in their literature as a Christmas Market Cruise. The cover of our Itinerary Guide is entitled Christmas Markets and page one is Christmas Markets on the Rhine. The trip description on page one under the tour map talks about "...scenic regions with holiday traditions all their own, then on to Heidelberg and Cologne, famous for its majestic Cathedral and magical Christmas markets."

The solution is simple in both the Viking and AMA situations.

River cruise lines should stop selling these as Christmas Market Cruises (perhaps change the name to Holiday Cruise), post in large, clear type on when the markets will be or not be open, and update the online and hardcopy marketing itineraries with "Christmas Markets Will Not be Open on These Dates in These Cities".

It is not fair to lay all the blame on a traveler who has not researched the opening and closing dates for each city of his CHRISTMAS MARKETS CRUISE.

River cruise lines should stop selling these as Christmas Market Cruises (perhaps change the name to Holiday Cruise), post in large, clear type on when the markets will be or not be open, and update the online and hardcopy marketing itineraries with "Christmas Markets Will Not be Open on These Dates in These Cities".

It is not fair to lay all the blame on a traveler who has not researched the opening and closing dates for each city of his CHRISTMAS MARKETS CRUISE.

I tend to agree, the problem is widespread and you'll find too many cruises on too many different lines that travel before or after the dates when the markets are actually open, or only cover the right dates with a few days of the cruise.

It isn't limited to Christmas either, people would be well advised to check for public holidays at other times of the year, or watch for things like cathedrals/churches being unavailable for causal visiting during services on a Sunday or other special days for instance...

This really is where a good TA can earn their money, but not too hard to research either once you know that the cruise lines are not really your friends in this regard...

After 7 Christmas Market cruises:

I have great sympathy for MizAlicia. Sometimes trips are just bad experiences. I've noticed the discrepancies in the advertising with calendars of the Christmas Markets. Fortunately, I've managed to avoid this situation. It's distressing that the tour companies disingenuously 'miss' this. Travel 'experts' should know about the cultural settings of their offered destinations.

I also feel sorry for the Cruise Director who ended up in the middle of this. I've been on a Viking river cruise that had river traffic problems and the CD worked so hard for two weeks that he lost so much weight his clothes became baggy. (Among other things he 'bribed' the captain of cargo barge to move so we could dock for a visit to an additional, unscheduled scenic town instead of just sitting on the ship.) CDs do the best they can.

In some fairness to Viking, I have taken a post-Thanksgiving cruise in one of the years when the first Sunday of Advent is also the Sunday immediately after Thanksgiving and had a glorious trip.

For Future Reference: Please everyone, remember that Christmas is a Christian holiday and the markets function on the Christian calendar. There are always 4 Sundays in Advent before Christmas Day. It seems that anyone who is a 'student' of Christmas would bear this in mind. Christmas markets begin the weekend of the first Sunday in Advent in large cities, smaller towns usually have weekend only Christmas markets. I never assume that Christmas markets would be open after Christmas day - though I have heard that some do. US Thanksgiving has nothing to do with the scheduling of Christmas markets in Europe. None of this is 'crypto' information. It's readily available to both consumers and vendors.

Bad weather/flooding is something none of us can do anything about. I have found Viking good at dealing with on site problems with alternatives/solutions, unlike some of the cheaper lines.

I´m sorry that your cruise has been spoiled.

I repeat myself every year here on this board: Traditionally the Christmas Markets do open Friday prior to the First of Advent and they close Dec 23rd. This year was a little different as the Fourth of Advent was Christmas Eve. So many markets did open earlier -mainly a week. But then this collided with Nov 26th which was Sunday in commemoration of the deaths. Therefore many markets closed on that day. Some markets did open until New Years Eve. But the tradtional ones like Nuremberg keep their schedule - which this year was Dec 1st til 23rd.

I´m sorry that you believed in the photos on the marketing brochures. But ... think a little ... your cruise started in Nuremberg. With people arriving all day long how do you think you´d be able to go downtown for the market on embarkation day? Usually there are no tours planned on embarkation day unless this is specifically mentioned in the itinerary of your cruise.

Unfortunately the river cruise lines still don´t get it to do their research and check the dates. This has been going on with the annual closure of the Rhine Danube Canal. Although this is advertised a year and longer ahead the river cruise lines were totoally surprised that the Canal is closed for at least two weeks. Now they are obviously still surprised that the Christmas Markets do not open Mid November... It´s easy to go online and search for opening hours / days of a Christmas Market. The Nuremberg one has its own website. Most of the websites are available in English too. I don´t blame you for not doing any research. When they sell a cruise as Christmas Market cruise you should be able to visit the markets on that cruise.

This is the second thread I´ve read this year about a Non-Christmas-Market cruise. But I read those threads every year.

steamboats

I think you have a point, MizAlicia. Your cruise was misrepresented as a market one, it clearly wasn't. I agree that the weather issues are a risk we all take and see how they added to your frustration and problem. I do believe that some of the different cruise companies seem to manage the disappointment and schedule changes better than others, doesn't sound like Viking did a good job. I imagine the cruise marketing starts well before the official market dates are published, but there is no excuse for not correcting the record as the dates approach, and allowing changes to reservations if necessary. I think you are entitled to some amount of refund for the market misrepresentation.

We were on an AMA sailing departing 12/25. It was titled 'Melodies of the Danube,' there was no holiday mention. While researching cruises (I booked in Nov) I did see fine print that stated that most holiday markets closed on 12/23. I considered the cruise that drcpa was on but it was sold out, as I recall, it too had a different title than the standard Christmas market cruises. Not adjusting the guides and materials once onboard was absolute laziness.

Future savvy cruise critic readers need to buyer beware, if you are going for the markets do your own research to understand what will be open and when. Luckily, I was booking close enough to the cruise that I was able to determine which cities would still have markets to see and could plan our tour choices and schedule to see what we wanted.

I hope you get some satisfaction.

AMA's Magnificent Europe (Christmas Cruise) commences on the 21 December 2018.

On the Company's website. in the detailed itinerary for this cruise, it states that there will be an opportunity to visit the local Christmas Market on:

Day 6 Regensburg

Day 7 Nuremberg

Additionally, there is a repeat of the error that shows a drastic reduction in the lead in price of the cruise--- this time from the true price of £3,823 to £1,424.

I have written to the Company on both issues.

I have to take issue with Steamboats' comment about it being unreasonable to expect to visit the Nuremberg market on embarkation day. We did just that on Decenber 17 this year. We hoped to do this, even planning taxi fares; but we were pleased that it was arranged by the cruise line.

We were met at the airport by one of our GCT program directors and were transported to the ship, arriving noonish. There were shuttles to and from the market. To the market at 1400 and 1530 with return to the ship at 1600 and 1730. We took the earlier shuttle to the market, returned on the later and had about three hours at the market.

The activity helped us adjust our clocks and it was enjoyable. Sure, it wasn't an option for those with scheduled mid-afternoon arrivals or those who who experienced travel delays. But some 60+ cruisers did take advantage of this service.

MizAlica,

I feel sorry for you and your mum und understand your disappointment. I saw the cruise on the website advertised last autumn and would have liked to have another look at how they offer it but I cannot get a cache on google of that page and cannot find the cruise Cologne to Nuremberg for 2018. I wonder if it is actually offered for 2018? Perhaps someone with a paper catalogue can tell us.

I cannot say for sure if you have been mislead by the advertising - for the reasons above, i.e. I cannot verify what Viking wrote, but I can say that this year has been short as the Christmas markets did open later (in general) for the fact that 24th December was also 4th Advent Sunday (steamboat mentioned this). What I can clearly say is that Viking must have known this well before your cruise as Christmas market dates are fixed by the authorities usually one year in advance. To give you an example: http://www.koblenz-touristik.de/events/highlights-im-winter/koblenzer-weihnachtsmarkt.html The dates for 2018 and 2019 are already fixed! The last sentence clearly states by the way that on Sunday of the Dead the Christmas markets are closed.

Viking - in my words - has a reputation for compensating with a voucher towards a future cruise. For issues with water levels - which the cruise company of course has no power over and they cannot know more than 48 hours in advance usually as levels do change very quickly sometimes - companies do not necessarily need to compensate, these things happen with inland bodies of water and are part and parcel of river cruising, but many do. Other past cruisers have reported different strategies by other companies for keeping their customers happy.

But for false advertising a voucher does not do in my opinion, if this is what happened.

One note on photos: I always wonder when they took those lovely photos of snow and Christmas markets. They days on which this works out can be rare! We get more snow in January and February than in November and December, in many years.

While I cannot help you further than express my understanding of your annoyance I would like to encourage you to take this to Viking's customer service again.

I hope you can come back to river cruising some time - it is great, especially with a little research that makes you aware of potential pitfalls before you go - and find a company and itinerary that suits you well.

For the Christmas markets season, here is my tip: flight to London, train to Brussels, train to Paris, train to Metz, train to Trier, train to the Rhine and then all the way down to Strasbourg and Basel. Those are lovely places and markets, with some research I am sure you can find good hotels and restaurants. Some large towns offer short trips on the Rhine that are quite romantic.

Again, sorry, to read or your disappointing cruise.

notamermaid

Have to agree with readyalready at least as AMA is concerned. We were on a 12/25 Danube sailing (not the same one) and the word Christmas Market was never uttered on board, mentioned in a port talk or referenced in the daily paperwork left each night. It was NOT advertised as a Christmas market sailing and in fact the AMA web site referenced that markets close on or before December 23rd. Prior to booking I researched each country and then each port so we were not disappointed thinking there would be markets. We stumbled upon a few small stands by accident but knew getting on board what to expect. I find these boards are always spot on with the info provided in terms of the AMA experience we encountered. Research, research, research is my advice to all. Shame on Viking for promoting and advertising something that was not accurate.

AMA's Magnificent Europe (Christmas Cruise) commences on the 21 December 2018.

On the Company's website. in the detailed itinerary for this cruise, it states that there will be an opportunity to visit the local Christmas Market on:

Day 6 Regensburg

Day 7 Nuremberg

Additionally, there is a repeat of the error that shows a drastic reduction in the lead in price of the cruise--- this time from the true price of £3,823 to £1,424.

I have written to the Company on both issues.

I am not seeing this on the US webpage, if this is for the 14 day Budapest to Amsterdam cruise leaving 21 Dec 2018 on AmaSerena.

The only mention of visiting Christmas markets is on Day 3 - Vienna.

https://www.amawaterways.com/destination/europe-river-cruises/2018/magnificent-europe-christmas-cruise

In 2018, Advent starts the week after Thanksgiving with the 4th Sunday of Advent being Dec.23. You can google the dates for many religious and commercial holidays, often years in advance.

Basically the Advent season this year will be very similar to last year.

It really pays to do research. Pat

I am not seeing this on the US webpage, if this is for the 14 day Budapest to Amsterdam cruise leaving 21 Dec 2018 on AmaSerena.

The only mention of visiting Christmas markets is on Day 3 - Vienna.

https://www.amawaterways.com/destination/europe-river-cruises/2018/magnificent-europe-christmas-cruise

AMA's UK website does mention Christmas markets:

http://www.amawaterways.co.uk/destination/europe-river-cruises/2018/magnificent-europe-christmas-cruise

However, like the UK website, the USA one for the ' Christmas Markets On The Rhine' itinerary shows two cruises embarking on the 24 December 2018.

https://www.amawaterways.com/destination/europe-river-cruises/2018/christmas-markets-on-the-rhine

I have to take issue with Steamboats' comment about it being unreasonable to expect to visit the Nuremberg market on embarkation day. We did just that on Decenber 17 this year. We hoped to do this, even planning taxi fares; but we were pleased that it was arranged by the cruise line.

We were met at the airport by one of our GCT program directors and were transported to the ship, arriving noonish. There were shuttles to and from the market. To the market at 1400 and 1530 with return to the ship at 1600 and 1730. We took the earlier shuttle to the market, returned on the later and had about three hours at the market.

The activity helped us adjust our clocks and it was enjoyable. Sure, it wasn't an option for those with scheduled mid-afternoon arrivals or those who who experienced travel delays. But some 60+ cruisers did take advantage of this service.

CPT Trips, but usually there is nothing organized for embarktion day. And as long as it is not specifically mentioned in the detailled itininery of the specific trip you can´t expect that there will be an organized tour. You have been lucky that GCT did offer a shuttle.

steamboats

AMA's UK website does mention Christmas markets:

http://www.amawaterways.co.uk/destination/europe-river-cruises/2018/magnificent-europe-christmas-cruise

However, like the UK website, the USA one for the ' Christmas Markets On The Rhine' itinerary shows two cruises embarking on the 24 December 2018.

https://www.amawaterways.com/destination/europe-river-cruises/2018/christmas-markets-on-the-rhine

Check the fine print at the bottom of the site:

"Notes:

Christmas Markets NoticeNote: Most Christmas Markets open during the last week of November and remain open until approximately Dec. 22. Check with each country’s tourist office for more information."

BTW, the owners of AMA should definitely know... Rudi is from Austria and Kristin is from Dresden.

steamboats

I just checked Uniworld's website, and they clearly disclose that "Christmas markets are generally open from the beginning of Advent until December 23" In looking at their offerings, only one cruise, from Basel to Amsterdam, leaves prior to 12/1. And the Basel Market will be open then.

With regard to the OP's bad experience, unfortunately, she signed Viking's passenger ticket contract and agreed to their terms and conditions when she booked the cruise.

This is on the terms and conditions website:

"Information contained in Viking brochures, websites or advertising materials (“Viking Advertising”) is not an offer or a contract."

And, goes on to say this (and, my guess is, this is not specific to Viking)

Advanced, Cancelled or Delayed

Viking reserves the right to withdraw and/or cancel a tour or to make changes in the itinerary and hotel accommodations whenever, in its sole judgment, or in the judgment of the vessel Carrier or owner, conditions warrant it. In the event of charters of the vessels, adverse weather or water conditions, mechanical or other issues with the ship, docking issues, government or other authority actions, truces, lockouts, riots or stoppage of labor from whatever cause or for any other reason whatsoever, the Carrier or Owner of the vessels identified herein may, at any time, cancel, advance, alter, substitute or postpone any scheduled tour and may, but is not obliged to, substitute another vessel or itinerary and shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to guests by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement except as specifically set forth in the Passenger Ticket Contract.

Itineraries, Prices/Increases and Omissions

Itineraries are subject to change and may need to be altered or cancelled specifically because of water levels or wind or other factors. Prices shown in this brochure and on the website are subject to change with or without notice. Adjustments for currency and/or fuel fluctuations may apply, see the Passenger Ticket Contract for more information. Airfares are subject to change if bookings are not paid in full. Optional shore excursions/ tours/concerts, excess baggage charges, drinks, beverages and meals not included in the package are additional costs to the guest. Viking is not responsible for omissions, printing and/or presentation errors and reserves the right to make corrections as required. Check http://www.vikingcruises.com for the most up-to-date prices, terms and conditions. In the event amendments or modifications of any nature are required, they may be added by the Carrier, by written notification to the passenger signed by a director of the Carrier for the vessel.

On the Viking ticket contract, I found this:

4. CARRIER’S DISCRETION. As the Carrier, we reserve the right at any time, withoutnotice, to cancel any cruise tour, to change or postpone the date or time of sailing orarrival, to change the port of embarkation or disembarkation, to provide a different Cabinthan the one initially assigned, to shorten the cruise tour or substitute the Ship or providefor alternate transportation if conditions of any nature prevent the Ship from sailing. If weare required to do any of these things, we will be responsible to you as follows:

a. If we cancel the cruise before it has started, we will refund the Cruise Fare that wehave actually received or provide another substitute cruise.

b. If the scheduled sailing date or time is delayed and as a result of that delay you are nototherwise accommodated on board the Ship, we may arrange shoreside accommodationsand food at no additional expense to you for the duration of the delay.

c. If the scheduled port of embarkation or disembarkation is changed, we will arrangetransportation to the new port from the originally scheduled port.

d. If any governmental agency publishes an informative announcement regarding travelconditions in or to a specific country or location included in the scheduled itinerary, wereserve the right to operate the cruise tour as scheduled; alternatively, we reserve the rightto cancel the cruise tour and return all monies paid.

e. If the cruise tour is shortened or terminated, we will, at our option, either make aproportionate refund of the Cruise Fare or we will transfer you to another ship or the portof disembarkation by other means. If the scheduled length of the cruise tour is increased,you will have no responsibility for the cost of any additional Cruise Fare and we willhave no responsibility to pay or compensate you in any manner, including consequentialdamages. In either of the above circumstances, our responsibility ends once we returnyou to the point of origination as booked and ticketed by us.

f. We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to return all monies paid and denyembarkation to any person other than for reasons prohibited by law, including withoutlimitation, those related to discrimination on the basis of race, religion or sexualpreference.

Page 2

g. If we change your Cabin to one of lesser cost, we will refund to you the difference inthe cost between the Cabin you paid for and the new one.

I'm sorry you didn't have the vacation you'd hoped for, but Viking's contract and terms and conditions are pretty straightforward.

(And, I'm confused why you didn't eat on the ship for dinner, what is "so late"? Just curious.....)

Like Mark T and others have said, it's always good to check the calendar yourself. I always use a travel agent, but research like crazy before contacting them. In fact, for this coming spring, I changed my cruise date to avoid traveling on Palm Sunday and Easter.....

I've looked at the itinerary of your cruise, and it looks like, at most, there were only four markets described, as being included, with Bamberg and Nuremberg being the ones you missed out on.

Disappointing? Certainly.....But I agree with 6rugrats, a full refund isn't likely to happen.

Robin

I think you have a point, MizAlicia. Your cruise was misrepresented as a market one, it clearly wasn't. I agree that the weather issues are a risk we all take and see how they added to your frustration and problem. I do believe that some of the different cruise companies seem to manage the disappointment and schedule changes better than others, doesn't sound like Viking did a good job. I imagine the cruise marketing starts well before the official market dates are published, but there is no excuse for not correcting the record as the dates approach, and allowing changes to reservations if necessary. I think you are entitled to some amount of refund for the market misrepresentation.

We were on an AMA sailing departing 12/25. It was titled 'Melodies of the Danube,' there was no holiday mention. While researching cruises (I booked in Nov) I did see fine print that stated that most holiday markets closed on 12/23. I considered the cruise that drcpa was on but it was sold out, as I recall, it too had a different title than the standard Christmas market cruises. Not adjusting the guides and materials once onboard was absolute laziness.

Future savvy cruise critic readers need to buyer beware, if you are going for the markets do your own research to understand what will be open and when. Luckily, I was booking close enough to the cruise that I was able to determine which cities would still have markets to see and could plan our tour choices and schedule to see what we wanted.

I hope you get some satisfaction.

While not all of the markets were open, there were still two in major cities Cologne and Koblenz. So there were still Christmas markets included in the cruise, even if not the full number.

As much as the limited Christmas markets (the OP stated that there were opportunities to see 4), the majority of the OP post was focused on the weather (nothing that the cruise line can do about that) and the impact of the water level limiting the ships ability to move (a well known impact with river cruises).

Check the fine print at the bottom of the site:

"Notes:

Christmas Markets NoticeNote: Most Christmas Markets open during the last week of November and remain open until approximately Dec. 22. Check with each country’s tourist office for more information."

BTW, the owners of AMA should definitely know... Rudi is from Austria and Kristin is from Dresden.

steamboats

All the more reason not to include cruises departing the 24 December in a list headed 'Christmas Markets On The Rhine'.

While not all of the markets were open, there were still two in major cities Cologne and Koblenz. So there were still Christmas markets included in the cruise, even if not the full number.

As much as the limited Christmas markets (the OP stated that there were opportunities to see 4), the majority of the OP post was focused on the weather (nothing that the cruise line can do about that) and the impact of the water level limiting the ships ability to move (a well known impact with river cruises).

It was also the perceived poor quality of the alternative restaurant meals, and the hotel accommodation, and meals, that were provided ashore.

Why a hotel 40 minutes outside of Cologne if not to save money.

I think that in such a situation one is entitled to expect an on shore dining, and accommodation,experience comparable to that on board.

It was also the perceived poor quality of the alternative restaurant meals, and the hotel accommodation, and meals, that were provided ashore.

Why a hotel 40 minutes outside of Cologne if not to save money.

I think that in such a situation one is entitled to expect an on shore dining, and accommodation,experience comparable to that on board.

It may not be that easy to arrange comparable lodging and meals on such short notice. Also, just because someone booked a suite on the ship doesn't mean the cruise line is going to be able to get them the Penthouse at the hotel.

Roz

It may not be that easy to arrange comparable lodging and meals on such short notice. Also, just because someone booked a suite on the ship doesn't mean the cruise line is going to be able to get them the Penthouse at the hotel.

Roz

In Cologne, all that was available was a 'cheap hotel' 40 minutes outside of the city?

As for meals in smaller locations, why not do as Tauck does, if required, and give each person a sum of money to spend on a meal.