Credit card scammed

cruisencrazy

friendly warning. Just back from Caribbean cruise. Used a credit card ONE time in port. It was used at Little Switzerland in Havensight Mall in St Thomas. After our modest purchase, which seemed to take an unusually long time we went back to the ship. When we got home we found the credit card account hacked, on that day, and large cash advance purchased on the same card. Buyers beware!

Our bank offers a prepaid Visa Spending Card with a separate number not linked to your credit card. That way a hacker can only get the money you loaded on it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry, but that sounds awful. That puts you on the hook. Yes, my card # was stolen, but I don't have to pay any of it. The credit card company takes care of it. If it were a prepaid visa, which has minimal fees, you would be out whatever was taken. My inconvenience is being without my card for a week while they send me a new one.

Interesting.

We were there the first week of December and we used a credit card at two places. Neither had internet/ connection to process the cards electronically and so they had to do it the old fashioned way with the swipe machine that makes a carbon copy of the card. So it took a while. I wonder if this is why yours took some time and then an employee or some other person got ahold of the number that way.

Sorry, but that sounds awful. That puts you on the hook. Yes, my card # was stolen, but I don't have to pay any of it. The credit card company takes care of it. If it were a prepaid visa, which has minimal fees, you would be out whatever was taken. My inconvenience is being without my card for a week while they send me a new one.

I wasn’t very clear, sorry about that. Any funds stolen are replaced in my checking account and the card is frozen till I get back home

I keep 1 low limit card just for vacations but try and use cash. Last year in Aruba I used a credit card once for dinner. Within a couple of hours I got a notice from cc company it was hacked and they would cancel and send a new card. Luckily I was not depending on that card for further expenses

Our bank offers a prepaid Visa Spending Card with a separate number not linked to your credit card. That way a hacker can only get the money you loaded on it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting...what I think I am reading is that, if I have $500. on the Visa card you describe, and it is stolen in some way, I lose $500.

Otoh, if I have a credit card that is stolen in some way, and the thief uses it to charge $500. worth of 'whatever', I have no liability other than the inconvenience of waiting for the replacement card.

I think I will skip the prepaid card.

• 1 month later...

It is really annoying when it happens, especially when we can remember being nice to the staff and even giving a big tip 🙄 It can happen anywhere of course. It’s only happened to me once, and to my husband once. Both were in the US, Florida and California :(