Never ever buy EFFY jewerely

pisces68

I have several pieces of EFFY jewelry and have had to make a claim once. Follow the directions in your packet. Trust me, gemstones are covered. Call and get someone who knows what they are talking about!

Get the cruise company & credit card company involved. You can stop charge due to faulty product. Carnival also backs these stores. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sorry this happened to you and I might just get blasted for my response. I purchased my first Effy piece in 2008 in Grand Cayman, diamond studs. I wear them ALL day Everyday I take them off to clean and go back on. Never an issue. I have purchased on the Splendor just recently a Tanzanite ring, earrings necklace and bracelet. I wear them often and not a problem. Even my other cheaper pieces are holding up really well. I have blue diamonds from Effy and LOVE them no issues. Unfortunately what happened to you might have happened with ANY jewelry company. Like the post about Diamonds International ring. You never know. Just like a car, you could get a lemon. And ALL car companies have lemons. And as someone else said if they were to replace a stone for everyone they would go bankrupt. Unfortunately you will need to be persistent and it is quite frustrating. But to say not to buy from Effy due to your circumstance is not fair. It is your opinion and my opinion so to each there own.
I don’t agree. It seems very fair to me. It’s not having a faulty item that is the problem, it’s poor customer service that is the issue. The quality of a company can always be found in it’s aftersales service if something goes wrong.

Hi

Many people will make purchases while on trips and be very happy. It isn't only on cruises, in all regions where tourists contribute to significantly to the economy, people make impulse purchases. Very often they are caught up in the "magic" of the moment. Very of often they are poorly informed.

For most large purchases people generally spend time researching their purchase. For some reason when on vacation some people figure they are spending a lot money anyway, so what's a few thousand more. If you want something nice, support your local businesses. They have been in business in your community for a number of years because they do a good job. If there is a problem you can go back to someone you have dealt with before.

I am sorry, didn't know where I should post this but felt that I had to at least try to get the word out. I have never bought jewelry onboard a ship but I fell in love with a diamond/tanzanite ring that I just had to have. I am now heartbroken. Just got off the Carnival Splendor. Due to my persistence, my husband broke down and got me my dream ring. It originally cost $2700 but Kevin gave us such a great 'dea'l at $1500. They swore up and down, if ANYTHNG happens to this ring, defect or loss of stone, EFFY will replace it, blah blah blah... Nothing has ever happened to one ring I've ever owned. I've been home 2 days... the prong broke and the stone is gone!! :-( We've been on phone with EFFY 2 hrs. They don't guarantee loss of stones and said I must have done something for the prong to break. We got passed to literally 12 different people all saying, oh I don't have a boss, I report directly to Mr. Effy. I will not give up this fight but I honestly wanted to let people know PLEASE don't buy jewelry from the ship but especially DONT BUY EFFY PRODUCTS!!! Thank you for listening.

Call Carnival, submit complaint that their vendor is lying, EFFY will straighten it out, or Carnival will boot them, why,,,,cause its about space, and money!!:evilsmile::mad: Remember, SQUEAKY WHEEL gets the OIL!

Edited by AmBear
sp

I am almost sick reading all this stuff. Has there been any positive results from buying on a ship. We recently (a couple of weeks ago) bought my wife a new right on Vista. Never heard of Effy, but during the cruise read up on it. Seemed legit being that its out of New York. My wife's ring had to be sized and it actually coming by Fedex this next Wednesday. I am reading so many horror stories. I used a credit card and spent $2800 but I already paid the card off. I am praying that this ring is not garbage and we are screwed out of $2800. We were told life time warranty and this and that when on the ship. Got the appraisal and certification. Will have our local jeweler check it out once we get it to make sure nothing seems loose or wrong with it. Has anyone had any positive experience? It was our 20th wedding anniversary and her original ring actually broke a week prior to the cruise and could not be repaired. Please has anyone had a positive deal with buying a ring on the cruise from EFFY. Who do I sue if we were scammed Carnival or Effy? Carnival is on the receipt and credit card bill. I am not wasting any time if this thing is garbage and I will contact the Florida Attorney General and file a complaint against Carnival.

I am almost sick reading all this stuff. Has there been any positive results from buying on a ship. We recently (a couple of weeks ago) bought my wife a new right on Vista. Never heard of Effy, but during the cruise read up on it. Seemed legit being that its out of New York. My wife's ring had to be sized and it actually coming by Fedex this next Wednesday. I am reading so many horror stories. I used a credit card and spent $2800 but I already paid the card off. I am praying that this ring is not garbage and we are screwed out of $2800. We were told life time warranty and this and that when on the ship. Got the appraisal and certification. Will have our local jeweler check it out once we get it to make sure nothing seems loose or wrong with it. Has anyone had any positive experience? It was our 20th wedding anniversary and her original ring actually broke a week prior to the cruise and could not be repaired. Please has anyone had a positive deal with buying a ring on the cruise from EFFY. Who do I sue if we were scammed Carnival or Effy? Carnival is on the receipt and credit card bill. I am not wasting any time if this thing is garbage and I will contact the Florida Attorney General and file a complaint against Carnival.

Zorky- I think that several people have posted that they bought Effy products and they love them- the quality & appraised value was a great deal for them and they're quite happy.

I think the big concern is, if you're not happy, Effy doesn't live up to the promises made by their reps onboard when you bought the jewelry. Their customer service appears to be inconsistent at best, fraudulent at worst!

Having said that, I think you're forwarned, so have your wife keep a close eye on her ring, and if anything happens, pursue it as you were told to do, with their local NY customer service. Just be prepared if it doesn't go well to take your complaint to the next level.

I hope your wife loves her new ring!

Hi Zorky,

Chances are that you will have no problem. You will get what you paid for. Obviously most people are happy with their purchases, or there would have been a general hue and cry as opposed to occasional people that have issues and don't know where to turn.

To the point that I made in an earlier post, you will be bring this ring to a local jeweler who you "trust" to evaluate. Why on earth would you not have gone first to this person to make the actual purchase? If you had second thoughts the next day, you would just have to turn around and return it.

Now look at what you are saying. Maybe have to sue somebody, and complain to everyone, sounds like lots of fun. Stop reading this stuff that is making you sick. In the future if you are not sure of what you are buying you shouldn't be buying it.

Hi Zorky,

Chances are that you will have no problem. You will get what you paid for. Obviously most people are happy with their purchases, or there would have been a general hue and cry as opposed to occasional people that have issues and don't know where to turn.

To the point that I made in an earlier post, you will be bring this ring to a local jeweler who you "trust" to evaluate. Why on earth would you not have gone first to this person to make the actual purchase? If you had second thoughts the next day, you would just have to turn around and return it.

Now look at what you are saying. Maybe have to sue somebody, and complain to everyone, sounds like lots of fun. Stop reading this stuff that is making you sick. In the future if you are not sure of what you are buying you shouldn't be buying it.

I 100% totally agree...

People PLEASE stop buying these really great deals!.. there really are not.. all your saving in most cases is just the tax . DW loves Tanzanite...you want a REAL education.. try buying it..

also w today's internet.. if you really do see something you like. snap a pic.. (as I have done), and send it to your jeweler.. you will be taken care of better, and happier in the end..

I have bought over time for my wife the Effy watercolor collection. I do not know who is complaining, Effy is a reputable brand. Macys sells it as well. They are out of NY and the customer service is great. No problem here going on the past 6 or 7 years. I also like the fact they keep their set pricing. Outside of 100.00 or so and maybe a few toss in gifts, there is no dicker on the sticker. You see any of their watercolor collection on ebay? No, you do not. If the jewelry was cheap and horrid people would be selling it left and right.

Hi Zorky,

Very good point. I guess we were caught up in the moment being our 20 year wedding anniversary with emotions. I don't really care about appraisals and certifications. I care about her being happy. If it is good quality and last and she loves it, than that is all the counts to me. She loved the ring when she saw it and the meaning behind it and the day it was purchased is what meant the most. It maybe just fine, I was just nervous reading all theses post. We should have waited until we got home. We have a small mom and pop shop in my hometown which is only about 2500 people in size. We actually bought it on the last night of the cruise so there really wasn't time for mind changing and seeing how much she liked it I wouldn't have changed my mind anyway, Suing someone is kind of extreme and I should not have stated that. I should have worded it as who should I pursue Carnival or Effy.

Very good point. I guess we were caught up in the moment being our 20 year wedding anniversary with emotions. I don't really care about appraisals and certifications. I care about her being happy. If it is good quality and last and she loves it, than that is all the counts to me. She loved the ring when she saw it and the meaning behind it and the day it was purchased is what meant the most. It maybe just fine, I was just nervous reading all theses post. We should have waited until we got home. We have a small mom and pop shop in my hometown which is only about 2500 people in size. We actually bought it on the last night of the cruise so there really wasn't time for mind changing and seeing how much she liked it I wouldn't have changed my mind anyway, Suing someone is kind of extreme and I should not have stated that. I should have worded it as who should I pursue Carnival or Effy.

Enjoy the ring. Do not bring it to your jeweler who may have different opinions. What is done is done and can destroy your happiness over the moment!

Not to discourage others from being skeptical about Effy, don’t let this ruin your experience! In a weird way, you got what you paid for in that regard. (Again, not to answer about Effy directly, but personal advice for this situation.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the heads up. It's like almost a scam they are running. I will make sure I stay away from any purchases on my future cruises. I once bought some jewelry on St. Thomas at Diamonds International only to find out that once appraised when got back to the States that the color and clarity where off a couple of grades. Lesson learned, I know only buy from trusted jewelers that I know will give a refund if the item is not what they say it is.

I have purchased two different EFFY items in port and have had no problems with either. One was a multi colored blue sapphire necklace from a western port in 2013 (info is filed away somewhere) and the other is a pair of tanzanite trillion and diamond studs from 2016 in Grand Turk. I believe the posters’ stories but have to say my pieces are all in perfect condition. EFFY is now a big part of Macy’s fine jewelry collection and is headquartered in the USA. These posts will make me ask more questions and be a more careful shopper however I can say my past experiences have been positive and I receive many compliments on the Effy jewelry I have.

Aren't onboard purchases and approved vendors guaranteed? They used to have a form you filled out and dropped off at the Personal Shopping person before end of cruise.

I was going to suggest that also. I thought you had to fill out the form for any items such as jewelry and give it to the port shopping person . The fine print on the fun times should say what the policy about purchases being fully backed by carnival means.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I think the customer service on the ships is crap. I actually didn't buy a ring but they gave me a very hard sales pitch and I took off my own diamond and ruby ring to try theirs on then forgot to put mine back on and left store. Luckily a minute went by and I went back inside shop and my ring was gone. I raised quite a fuss and lady got scared and moved her cell and my ring landed on the floor. Well I learned my lesson. Staff could have cared less!!!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

I really feel for those of you who have had bad results with the Effy jewelry, being bought on the ship. I have bought some jewelry, but nothing very expensive, IF something should happen. For those of you who have a chance to cruise to St. Thomas, that is where I would recommend you purchase jewelry. I have never gone wrong with the couple of places where I had bought "expensive" jewelry.